Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

If you are going to dry fire your gun at home...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Deaf Smith, Jun 12, 2011.

1. glockurai

Sep 2, 2010
    That sucks. Reason why I check and double check.

2. I absolutely never handle any firearm without first making certain that it is unloaded. Period. I don't care if it's at a gun show, at the range, or even at my local gun store. I may get stared at but I don't care - I'll never be in the "crap, I forgot it was loaded" club.
  3. Toorop

Apr 28, 2010
    The Midwest.
    I do believe that he probably learned his lesson.
  4. There was a Probation Officer a few years ago in my area that went to clean her G22. She removed the magazine, pointed the pistol to the floor of her second story apartment and pulled the trigger so she could remove the slide. She never cleared the chamber and she fired a shot through the floor hitting the guy that lived in the apartment below her. The guy was critically injured. He did survive but it was a long painful event that he'll never fully recover from. Now IIRC, it's not a requirement for Probation Officers to carry pistols anymore. It's their choice, but now "I believe" they must go through the same firearms training as our Sheriff's Department. Trained by no other then the Sheriff's Department Police/Training Academy.

I applied for, and got my pistol permit as soon as I was old enough to (21) in 1996. I bought a new Ruger KP94DC 40 S&W before I got my permit. My dad put it on his permit, so he owned and possessed it until my permit was approved, then it was transferred over to me. He'd take me shooting, like he always did, and I'd shoot it then. It was a nice pistol but the trigger wasn't that good. I shot my friends G20 and really liked how the Glock felt so I went shopping for one. After looking at pretty much every pistol Glock made in 1999, I decided the G17/22/31 was the size pistol I liked. Since I sold my Ruger in 40 S&W to get the Glock, I decided on a new G22. In 2002 I was able to have the restrictions removed from my pistol permit and got a carry permit so I bought a new G27 to conceal better in the warmer months.

I don't carry a pistol everyday. I do used them though. I've probably shot 10K plus rounds of 40 S&W and 1-1.5K plus rounds of 357 Sig. (G31 barrel) with my G22 and 3-4K rounds of 40 S&W with my G27. They're my favorite pistols. I always remove the magazine, rack the slide to clear the chamber and then look into the chamber to make sure it's empty. Then I dry fire it, aiming it into any area where I know for a fact nobody will be. I do it the same way EVERY TIME. I NEVER put a pistol (or any firearm) away with a round in the chamber. The only time a round is in the chamber is if I'm carrying one of my pistols in a holster that's on my body, or if I'm hunting with one of my rifles or shotguns. I store my pistols in our safe with the magazines loaded. The safes next to our bed.

Sorry for the ramble, but I hate seeing someone get hurt and possibly in trouble when it's so easy to avoid. Like we were taught when we were kids, treat every firearm as if it is loaded and verify for a fact that it isn't loaded before doing anything with any firearm.

Sorry again, NYH.
  5. Lior

Jul 23, 2004
    The "Crap, I was sure it was unloaded" club is overpopulated, particularly by posthumous members. Remember the rules guys (and good gun owners will never tire from hearing them):
    1. Treat guns as though they are always loaded.
    2. Do not touch the trigger until your gun is on target and ready shoot.
    3. Never point a gun at something that you do not want destroyed.
    4. Be aware of your target and whatever is beyond it.
  6. lwbfl

lwbfl 2A Defender

Apr 12, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    + 10million
  7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003
    Nothing reinforces learning like hands on experience. :tbo:
  8. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    I don't think dis similar guns had anything to do with the accident. A loaded gun is a loaded gun. He F'd up, plain and simple.
  9. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Nov 12, 2005
    So is he being charged for discharging a firearm within 500 feet of an inhabited dwelling and/or city limits or some other silly crap?
  10. Or "hands through" experience! :supergrin:
  11. The Machinist

The Machinist No Compromise

Sep 20, 2009
    The Left Coast
    Sounds like that pistol was quite a handful. :whistling:
  12. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Hang some body armor on the back of the bathroom door and use that for a dry fire target. If you come down with a case of stupid your ears will ring for a while but that will be the extent of the damage.

Happyguy :)
  13. Frost

Feb 4, 2006
    The Holy City SC.
    Some one forgot their safety procedures.
  14. schaibaa

Mar 26, 2011
    Yeah, but if he was posting on GT then his opinion would be more valuable since it's based upon training and real world experience... even if it takes him twice as long to type it.
  15. NewGlockShooter

Feb 15, 2011
    That's why anytime I dry fire, I make sure that the gun and ammunition are in separate buildings.
  16. ashecht

Feb 10, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I dunno, but I was always taught to ensure the action is open and empty before doing ANYTHING else. And to treat all guns as LOADED until I can prove otherwise. Hope he recovers ok
  17. Genin

Genin Designated Left

Oct 25, 2010
    Bloomsburg PA

I preach this at the range with my friends, family, etc. However, when dryfiring at home (I do so in the basement or garage) the rules get stretched. I say this because I do not want to destroy my wall or discharge a firearm in the home which is why I use a particular set of rules that I have taped to the inside door of my gun safe. The short and simple of the rules state gun must be checked to be clear following regular saftey rules, an empty mag is selected (or 2 empty mags depending if I want to work on reloads), snap caps, which are stored seperate from reg ammo, are visually inspected an put into the mags. That is a short version but should give you the idea of what I do to ensure that when I pull the trigger I am hitting a snap cap and not shooting holes in my walls.
  18. Cream Soda Kid

Cream Soda Kid

Jul 16, 2010
    You are quite correct sir.