close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

IF there's time for a store run...top 6 items...

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bolster, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    IF there's time for a run to one store (grocery store? big box store?) before an event (and often there is), what would you put on your list? I would like to have a list stashed so I'm not blundering through the store just grabbing random stuff.

Try to keep your list to the top 6 things you'd buy at the last minute. Obviously this is determined by what you already stock. My last-minute list would be for the grocery store. (Mostly duplicates many preps I already stock, but would want these as fresh as possible.) So far it would include:

Water (Can never have enough) or possibly CokeZero (my fave)
    AA Batteries (to get the freshest possible)
    Bleach (would want the freshest bottle possible)
    Bread
    Ice (to turn powerless fridge into icebox)
    Peanut Butter (fresher is better)

...but I'm suspicious I'm overlooking more important items, here. Obviously my preps are such that no last-minute shopping is necessary, but neither does one want to pass up the last opportunity.

If your one stop would NOT be a grocery store, please explain. Given the nature of this list, I'll assume everyone's already stocked up on ammo. "Even if I had the opportunity, I would not go to a store" is also a valid answer. If that's your answer, please explain.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Fresh Bleach?

If your preps are in good shape you really don't NEED to hit the grocery store. Ice maybe.

3. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Right, I agree. Assume you are already prepped, but the opportunity offers itself and you can make one last visit to a store, what additional stock would you pick up? Maybe just duplicates, or fresh items with a short shelf life.

Think of this exercise like Christmas shopping. No matter how well you prepare for it, there's always something you need to get the day before. What would your list be?

It's good to think this stuff through, BEFORE the event occurs.

4. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008
  5. Commander_Zero

Commander_Zero

Sep 3, 2007
    MT
    Depends on which store. Grocery store? WalMart? Cenex? Cabela's?

6. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Yes, bleach has a reasonably short shelf life (often given at 3-12 mo if it didn't get hot or cold), and if you'd need to be treating water with it, you'd want a fresh bottle.

7. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    You decide. You get to go to one store. This is part of the exercise. Where would you go? What would you get? Six items. Hurry, the storm/aliens/zombies/radiation/drought is coming.

8. JimIsland

JimIsland

Aug 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Water, Corona, Gentleman Jack, Vodka, Zing Zang, Coke.........sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I've got MORE than enough of everything else.

9. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008
    I did not know that. What happens to it. Does breakdown, lose potency or what?

10. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Yes, breaks down into salt and water. Potency is lost over a curve, not all at once of course, but some sources say "full potency" starts to degrade at only 3 months.

That's why bleach treatment of water always includes the sniff test. If it doesn't smell like chlorine after you treated it...your bleach may be old and you'd need to use more.

So .......................................... 46 views so far, and only one list submitted of "buy mostly alcohol"? If you disagree with my list, submit one of your own!

11. Vincine

Vincine

Mar 5, 2012
    A selection of greeting cards for all occasions, pineapple corer, turkey baster, make up remover, and dental floss.

12. Carry16

Carry16

Sep 7, 2004
    SW Missouri
    Didn't specify how bad/long an event I'm anticipating, but in general I would think:
    1) throw away batteries
    2) gasoline - top off cans/vehicle
    3) bread products
    4) milk
    5) fresh veggies
    6) ??

13. DaveG

DaveG

May 3, 2009
    I'd top off the vehicles and gas cans with gas for sure.

14. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5

Jul 7, 2003
    Batteries
    Chocolate
    Soft drinks
    T-P (even though we have a lifetime supply)

15. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Nov 27, 2011
    Maine
    Hot sauce and toilet paper. Never one without the other.

16. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Good replies, gasoline and chocolate, definitely!

It's actually looking like a 7-eleven or circle K or Kangaroo or AM PM or whatever might be one of the better "last stops" to make because they'd have the gasoline, ice, chocolate, bread, batteries, milk, and water all in one spot. Maybe even bleach? You'd pay top price but in an emergency who cares.

What's the deal with last minute stocking of TP? It wasn't even commercially available until the 1850s. The Romans used a sponge on a stick, and then placed it into a bucket of seawater. Good enough for me.

17. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    I was at a K-Mart in the Keys before Andrew came through. Buy anything you can without getting into a fist fight for it.

1. Water
    2. Food
    3. Ammo
    4. Salt
    5. TP
    6. Any Camping stuff left

If there were a 7 it would be batteries.

18. thesurefire

thesurefire

Apr 16, 2006
    Colorado
    Good topic.

For those that said bleach, look into pool shock, its stores forever, is cheap, and can make literally hundreds of gallons of bleach from bag.

It really depends on the event. For example power loss in the summer, Ice is number 1, in winter, its not even on the top 100 list since I can just put stuff outside. In general:

1. Gas
    2. Batteries
    3. Toilet paper/baby wipes/disinfectant wipes
    4. Chocolate
    5. Coffee
    6. Hard liquor

Spices also wouldn't be a bad idea. It'd be pretty hard to grow the ones that are imported from around the world.

19. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
  20. Well, if you are already stocked up properly on the staples, then the last minute store run would be for your last fresh food for awhile. Bugging out or in matters regarding portability.

Here are some fresh items you might want to grab just before the stores close and the grid shuts down and etc:

Milk
    Bread
    Meat
    Veggies
    Fruit
    Cheese
    Yogurt
    Bucket of fried chicken
    Ice if you can't produce it fast enough.
    Fresh anchovies
    :fishing: