close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

If gays aren't discriminated against then Christians will be?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Gunhaver, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    LOL wut? If I'm not free to suppress your freedom then I can't be free? I always knew that's what they thought but I never expect one to just come out and say it. :shocked:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpwCCWdZb8Y"]Fischer: If Gays Aren't Discriminated Against, Christians Will Be - YouTube[/ame]

2. Kentak

Kentak

Jan 8, 2006
    Central Ohio
    American energy independence = Find a way to run cars and heat homes on ignorance.

3. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    I think private citizens should be allowed to discriminate, but I assume he is talking about .gov.

4. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Mar 21, 2006
    USA
    Your president is forcing the Catholic Church to hand out condoms and abortion pills...so don't you think it's right to take it out on the gays? :cool:

5. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    One has nothing to do with the other.

The church is not being required to do anything. Insurance companies agreed to pay for the contraception for the employees of Catholic "non church" businesses. The Catholics are mad they didnt get to control non-catholics reproductive decisions. Simple as that.

The church of FSM says the creator commands all gay people to be married. If you dont allow gay marriage you are taking away their first amendment rights! If conservatives are really concerned with protecting religious liberty they should be fighting for the Pastafarian gays rights!

Or do they only really care about Christian rights and privlidges?

If a central tennant of your religion is to be bigoted and hate others, you will still be free to do that! Giving another person equal rights in no way takes away your rights. It only makes it illegal to enforce your bigotry and hate on others!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  6. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Mar 21, 2006
    USA
    What "non church" businesses are you talking about? They are still ran by the church. We are upset that people still believe it is okay to murder a child in cold blood.

Protecting the human rights of children is not bigotry or hate.

7. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    Again this has nothing to do with bigotry against gays!

Just because a hospital, or retirement home is owned by the church, does not make it a church. People of all faiths, or no faith, work there.

How is a birth control pill equal to child murder?

8. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Yes, but it is owned by the religious institution, and the religious views of that institution should be respected under the First Amendment.

So, it is ironic that you speak out against bigotry against gay people, but are okay with bigotry toward those who have a religious view point.

For the record, I am not some Westboro Baptist that thinks God hates gay people. I am of the opinion He loves them just as much as He loves me. It is the sin He hates.

9. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    How is it bigotry? No one is asking catholics to use contraception (which most do, btw), and the church does not have to pay for it. Where is the rub?

Oh, and by the way I love all of you religious people, it is your faith I hate (said tongue incheek as you cant seperate one from the other. You dont kmow how condasending you are when you use that line.). I dont really hate anyone.

10. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    You'd have no objection to a Muslim owned company requiring all their employees wear a veil? Or a Jewish owned company forbidding their employees to ever eat pork?
    Over 90% of catholics support the use of contraceptives.
    Do you also believe God hates the "sin" of miscegenation?

11. Animal Mother

Mar 22, 2004
    Luckily no one thinks that, but some do believe it's absurd to try and dictate women's health issues to them rather than leaving them free to choose.
    How does contraception injure children's human rights?

12. I'm tired of churches thinking they deserve a free pass on everything. IMO, they should follow the same rules as everyone else. They should provide the same type of insurance and pay the same taxes as any other for profit institution.

13. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    Being a libertarian, almost to the point of being anarchist, I'd have no objection. You should be completely free to chose who you want to employ.

14. Animal Mother

Mar 22, 2004
    While one might agree in the abstract, the problems with such a system have been apparent in the past. We don't need to repeat the mistakes that led to institutions like paying employees in scrip and company stores.

15. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    You have a good point, and while I don't want fed gov to do much of anything, I believe they have laws against any kind of competing currency.

edit
    ...which is going to create it's own problems as the value of the dollar goes down.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  16. Animal Mother

Mar 22, 2004
    Sadly companies paying in scrip wasn't a competing currency issue and still goes on in some parts of the world. I'd rather it not be reintroduced here.

17. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    We went down an unrelated path.

Moving back to the original point, how does giving someone else equal rights take away ones personal rights as suggested in the video?

[​IMG]

I think a good practice for these types of people is to replace the word gay with black, or jew, woman, christian etc. if their idea holds water it should work for discriminating against anyone. If it does not, it shouldnt be used against anyone.

I bet there would be a lot of posts if a muslim cleric was stating, "We have to be able to discriminate against christians, if not it would violating our 1st amendment rights as muslims!". How would the christians feel if muslims declared their marriages were invalid? They love you, just not your sin of worshiping a false god. Religion is a choice, you are not born that way.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  18. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    The rub is a Catholic Hospital is owned by the Catholic church. They have particular beliefs, which apparently you feel are worthy of trampling upon. Just as other denominations own other hospitals. Go to Loma Linda a Advenist Hospital and expect to find Saturday worhsip services.

Clearly you do.

19. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    So, you despise the First Amendment. So, what is next, are you going to shout huzzah to Obama for violating the seperation of powers? What other freedoms would you like to excise from others?

20. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    We aren't talking about companies we are talking about church owned, or in this case mosque owned institutions. If I were hospitalized there I would not expect port on the menu and would more than likely see nurses in burkas. My choice, or belief-no. But, it is theirs and their right.

Do you get to go into churches and demand they change their doctrines to suit your agenda?

I could care less what Catholics do. However, they should be able to run their churches as they see fit.