close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ideas for general purpose farm rifle?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Pier23, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Well, I have a Mossberg 500 12 ga and a 10/22 and the SKS, but more,as they say, is always better than less...

2. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    If you want your thread to be successful, mention brown bears.

Folks come a runnin' to tell all about how to handle a grizzly!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

3. The country's run by hysterical women. Whaddaya expect? :dunno:

On Topic: My all-purpose farm gun is a Savage 24 over-under. Got a 24V: .223 over 20 ga. and a later 24F .223 over 12 ga. The rifle barrels in both are quite accurate if you keep them cool. The shotgun patterns are merely "good enough".

Of course, only two shots and that's fine here in NY as the targets can't eat you. But it is nice to have the reach when you need it and some scatter when the target's moving.

4. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    I think that there are many definitions and ideas of the ranch rifle flying around. All of them are fine, but for me it comes down either to Mini 14 or 30-30 like this one...

[​IMG]

5. I had a spring loaded pin, and under heat and compression, it failed, collapsed, and jammed my firing pin. Ironic, no? I threw the spring away, and just use murray's firing pin. If the lack of a firing pin block is what concerns you, you likely shouldn't consider 1911's either? That wasn't what I referring to, however. The sears and hammers were made with little consideration for engagement. Most SKS's have neutral to negative. With a little stone work, you can set your sear to positive engagement, and that hammer can't fall off the sear (at least, it's much less likely, and would take a long fall onto the muzzle for it to fall off).
    Step 1: Deficate.

6. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Step 2: Shoot hiking partner in the foot.

7. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE. Back to being a wage slave.

Oct 22, 2006
    Central Arizona
    Well there were all those drive-by bayonetings. Taught me to walk on the yard side of the sidewalks in my neighborhood. Just out of easy stabbing range!

Life is stranger than fiction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...urns-busy-London-suburb-into-a-bloodbath.html

8. cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Mar 17, 2005
    I learned everything I need to know about handling bears from Clint Howard!

[​IMG]

Oh, and Timothy Treadwell!

9. ...was Timothy's Birthday!
    :whistling: