Ideas for general purpose farm rifle?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Pier23, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Gentlefolk,

I am now pretty well fixed in the handgun area, but my rifle situation needs help. All I have is a 12ga and an SKS.

The Ruger Mini 30 looks like the type of rifle that would work best but am looking for ideas and options.

Some type of general,purpose semiauto that could be used for self defence but powerful enough to take out larger animals if needed...brown bear being the largest possible threat in the area, but that would be a very last resort use.

Thanks for any thoughts and options!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Gas Storage Ideas... The Okie Corral Sunday at 7:49 PM
    Need 23 slide refinished, ideas? General Glocking Wednesday at 10:43 PM
    Boy Scout Patrol Flag Ideas. The Okie Corral Aug 23, 2015
    ballistic protection ideas Cop Talk Aug 19, 2015
    Ideas Wanted: Where to stash guns throughout my house? Tactics and Training Aug 17, 2015

3. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

A Marlin lever action in .357mag or .30-30 would be a great choice.

The SKS is a good rifle and would work just fine, but it does not scream farm rifle to me.

The Mini 30 would also be a good choice assuming you can get a hold of some 20 or 30rd mags.

A bolt action rifle in .243, .270, 25-06, 7mm-08, or .308 (basically any caliber .24/6mm+ that you can easily buy ammo for at Academy or Walmart would aslo be a great choice. I would want a low power scope like a fixed 4x or maybe even a Aimpoint on it for fast offhand shooting target acquisition.

Personally I like a shotgun at the farm/hunt camp. I can keep the tube filled with 00buck but also keep a box of slugs and a box of high brass #6 handy and handle just about any critter that might come along.

4. But how would the mini 30 do anything your SKS can't, since they are the same round?

How about an AR 10 (.308) or Saiga AK in .308? Or a lightweight bolt, like a Rem model 7 in .308?

Against a charging bear, which I have no experience with, you probably want at least .308 power if not more :)

#3 ithaca_deerslayer, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  5. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Just reread your original post and noticed you said brown bear, not black. In that case Might wanna load that shotgun with Brenneke slugs or get the Marlin in .45-70.

In all reality though my original posted suggestions would still probably be okay, but I might step the bolt action rifle up to a .30-06 or larger.

6. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Semi-Auto and Powerful enough to take out a Brown Bear AND be a good self defense rifle is a pretty tall order. I guess you could kill a Brown Bear with a 308 so an M1a might fit the bill but I still like the idea of a good lever gun. Marlin 1895 in 45/70 or the newer 450 Marlin would work great. A good bolt action in 338 Win Mag would be nice for big Bear but I'd not want to use it for self defense.
    Of course you could build an AR in .458 SOCOM or 50 Beowulf, plenty of power for big Brown Bear and reasonable enough for Self Defense and you would even buy a second upper in standard 5.56 for your self defense needs.

7. I wouldn't turn my back on a marlin lever or Remington pump in .35 Rem if one came along. I have a Remington because i couldn't find an older Marlin. I also have an "oddball" suggestion if you come across one. Several years back Navy Arms cut down a bunch of #4 Enfields into "Pseudo #5 Jungle Carbines". I have one of those and it has a ton of advantages, especially with a 180 gn bullet. (Sorry I just look outside the box for things you might spot at an LGS that don't cost a bundle)

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

I would not want a semi autmatic in bear country. I would want a
    bolt action .30'06. A sling with ammo loops would be nice as well.

9. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

It looks like the brown bear possibility is that which will ultimately define the caliber......for a "farm rifle", a short handy rifle is what that conjures up in my mind. Here are a couple that would fill the bill:

Remington model 7 in 308win:
    [​IMG]
    Marlin Guide Gun 1895GS in 45/70:
    [​IMG]

ooc

10. Savage Model 99 in 308.

11. excellent idea

12. Pistol: S&W 500 revolver
    Rifle: AR 10, FN FAL, Marlin 45-70

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2

13. I disagree, I lived in Alaska for about 12 years and for dealing with large dangerous animals, such as big bears and/or moose, I found that an auto-loader is just what I needed. I wanted quick follow-up shots and for me, nothing gave me quicker follow-up shots than an auto-loader. I have Colt Sauers and Styers in both 375 H&H Mag and 458 Win Mag, and a 340 Weatherby, but when I wanted to spend time in the woods, I chose either a Benelli 12 gauge auto-loader or a Browning Bar in 338 win mag. But, to each his own.

RJ

14. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I'd probably go with a good lever or bolt gun in a solid caliber if it were me.

15. If you're in the lower 48, and are talking a smaller brownie, I would feel fine with a good bolt 30-06/308.

In AK where the bears are a bit larger, and more prone to fits of eating people, I might step up a bit to a bigger gun.

My "GP" rifle in AK is a 338. But I've killed just about everything that walks up here with a lowly 308 as well.

Personally, I wouldn't want an auto against a bear. I'll take my big bolt guns for dedicated bear work.

16. Your working on your farm....no self respecting bear is going to come walking up to a human making noise. They avoid humans like the plague. I've tromped around enough in the boondocks to know this. As for a farm rifle, getting knocked around, etc, your SKS is a good choice. They aren't delicate and will take abuse. The round is equivelent to a .30-30.:wavey:

17. I'm thinking MBR.

DSA FAL
    Springfield M1A
    PTR91 HK91
    AR10
    Saiga .308

You didn't ask, but I also think you need a bolt gun, something in the range of .223/.243/.308, and a 10/22.

18. mgs

mgs Always Carrying
    Millennium Member

Defense and hunting/varminting are two different needs. Open sights for large dangerous animals would be my choice. Killing smaller none dangerous vermin would be a scoped rifle. A 30-06 Carbine Remington 760 Pump would work if you don't want another semi auto. They are very handy and have good sight options and are like running a 12G 870, Mike.

19. OK, lots of good info here, thank you, and I need to backpedal on the bear thing. Location is SE Ohio, and to me all bears look black, but in truth are prob the smaller brown bear variety.

The encounters so far have been bears messing around outbuilding and being bear-curious..no known bear-inflicted injuries. But if one is selling the rifle idea to the SO, well, the size of the threat tends to magnify...like lobbying for any defense budget... <g>

i have in truth thought about a good lever action and have stumbled over caliber. I know .45-70 is too hot for me...fired one three times and that was sufficient. .30-30 is a real possibility, and that round will be around forever.

I have nothing against the SKS, just not terribly accurate with it. But I really havent shot it enough to bond woth it. Got it new years ago during the SKS flood and paid just over $100 for it, so I consider it a $100 weapon..in short not really sure I would trust my life to it...it was made the year I was born and I know how well -I- am holding up...

My interest in the Ruger comes from prev experience...have the 10/22 and love it, and partly from the look - it is not overly militarized looking. But web reports give the Ruger Minis modest kudos at best, so I am tempering my enthusiasm.

Bolt action 30-06 is also a possibility I had considered...do like that cartridge but would prefer that in lever or semi if avail and affordable.

Looking bang for buck herer...

20. I have to agree with this. Those Remington 7600's are quick and plenty accurate. They also have interchaneable magazines. One of the most popular hunting rifles here in Pa.

21. For a good farm/ranch rifle, it's hard to go wrong with a lever action like a Marlin .30-30..... I used a Winchester .30-30 as my truck/ranch gun for quite a few years, and it did just fine.

Although you could just use your SKS; with the heavier soft point ammo, it will knock down just as many things as the .30-30, and you already own it.