close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ideal 9mm ammo for personal protection

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by tdkammerer, Jan 1, 2010.

1. W4CNG

W4CNG
    Expand Collapse

I am in the Cor-Bon +P 9MM DPX box having just left the Federal Hydro's box. All work great and function 100%. Same for my other calibers....

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Arr6

Arr6
    Expand Collapse
    .com

Yup +p for me.

3. Convert

Convert
    Expand Collapse
    Glocks 'n Sigs

Another +1 for Federal HST 147gr or Federal 9BPLE. The former is my personal carry round, while the latter is in my duty weapon. Both excellent, accurate reliable rounds.

I agree that if you do your part, pretty much ANY modern defensive load in 9mm will do it's thing and drop someone like a sack of crap.

I would also like to extend a thumbs up to Buildwonder for the excellent post. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. Practice your ass off and stay proficient - shooting is a perishable skill.

4. vinnier6

vinnier6
    Expand Collapse

the heaviest bullet for caliber is my preference for a defensive round...

5. mitchshrader

mitchshrader
    Expand Collapse
    Deceased

ditto. you must also like deep holes. ya notice some guys do and some don't? I've wondered why. ;)

6. soundwave

soundwave
    Expand Collapse

I'll second that.

7. den888

den888
    Expand Collapse

Federal 115 gr (standard load) or Federal HST.

8. mr smithglock

mr smithglock
    Expand Collapse

Gold Dot 124gr.

9. detroit9mm

detroit9mm
    Expand Collapse

Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P. They are lot harder to find than they used to be though.

10. tdkammerer

tdkammerer
    Expand Collapse

Thank you all for your recommendations on ammo as well as emphasis on practice, practice, practice (importance of shot placement). I understand and agree.

11. pimuk

pimuk
    Expand Collapse

In alphabetical order: Fed HST 124 gr +P, Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P and Winchester 127gr +P+.

#32 pimuk, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  12. jesse2205

jesse2205
    Expand Collapse

Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p IMO is your best bet

13. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII
    Expand Collapse
    Adorkable
    CLM

test any ammo for reliability...my G19C hates HST, and the only ammo I've shot hundreds of rounds through, with 0 problems, is the EFMJ i posted earlier in the thread

Red

14. TBurnham

TBurnham
    Expand Collapse

I agree completely, they rock!!
    I also agree to test them out a few mags worth before commeting to carry them.

15. COLOSHOOTR

COLOSHOOTR
    Expand Collapse

While I do agree with you 100% that shot placement and mindset are going to be the game winners when it comes to the gun fight the right ammo does not hurt. If you don't have ammo that penetrates or does not expand to dump it's energy and give you that little bit of an increased diameter might just make the difference. That extra 1/100th of an inch you need to nick that vital spot when your aim was not perfect under the stress your in might be gained with a quality properly expanding hollow point. So while not a end all the right ammo can't hurt. You just better have those points you covered down before you worry about the ammo!

I don't think it's the energy you have to worry about at all. All that energy won't mean jack if the round does not reliably expand after passing through clothing. I'd look more at expansion results, retained weight and penetration before you worry about the 10-15 difference on the energy charts.

All this being said, I trust my life to gold dots granted I get mine for free. They tested a lot of ammo and Gold Dots had the best most consistent results. The local ER doc once told me, "If you absolutely want someone dead use Speer Gold Dots." (He's a shooter and also works at a level 1 trauma center where the guys we shoot on the job go so he knows his stuff)

My back up / light weight carry gun is loaded with Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr +p.

Like others have said, test any ammo for function before using because some weapons do not like certain ammo. Don't get the cheap JHP ammo because it won't expand reliably (ex: Winchester white box JHP's). Any of the popular name brand stuff like Speer Gold Dots or Winchester SXT will work well. It's just up to you to decide and see what works best in your weapon.

16. minderasr

minderasr
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:supergrin:

17. Gunboat1

Gunboat1
    Expand Collapse
    A.F.A.M.

As others have said: Speer Gold Dot 124g +P, or Federal HST either 124g +P or 147g +P, or Winchester 147g bonded (RA9B or Q4364). All are excellent.

18. Teej

Teej
    Expand Collapse

Right on target with this reply!! A lot of good stuff out there. LEO's used Federal Hydra-Shok for a long time. Still it is a matter of opinion.

You will loose 65% of you gross motor skills during a stressful confrontation. Dry fire practice a lot and range practice as much a possible. Get some rapid fire drills in there as well. Find the ammo your pistol likes best and that YOU control best.

Read everyones opinion here. Choose a few different brands to try out. Also, if your 9mm is brand new, I recommend putting a least 500 rounds through it, target ammo is fine for this, to properly break it in first. Then try out HD ammo before making your choice.

19. drjustice

drjustice
    Expand Collapse
    Super Senior

I recommend the heavier rounds like 147gr JHP for better penetration/ expansion from full size 4 inch plus barrels. 158 gr subsonic for SMG/ suppressed weapons. Shorter barrels I will go with 124gr +p+ 127 or +p 124 even 124 gr FMJ NATO standard load. No 115 gr for me thanks. Not enough penetration even in +p+ to meet the 12 inch of penetration LE standards.