Iceland?

Discussion in 'US Navy Forum' started by Icecop, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Any of you out there in or have been in Iceland (NASKEF)?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Iceland, in and out for three years from 1962-65 flying the DEW line with EC-121Ks the old moded Willey Victors. Used to go trout fishing up at the old Nato Fuel depot about 90 miles from Kef...lots of good fishing....

3. I was there from feb93-aug94. It was a great place! I didn't want to leave. If getting stationed there remember one thing... leave the base and have fun! It's a must.

4. You betcha! Dec 67 - Nov 69...NSGA Keflavik. Very fond memories...FANG the dog, Slonie the Gate Guard, "take off," scampie at the AF Rockville site...miniskirts so short they looked like wide belts!! :)

Ahhhh...the good old days!

CTAC, USN, RETIRED!!!

5. kiwibird1

kiwibird1 Loadmaster

Was there on detachment for 2 weeks in May of 94 or 95 don't remember for sure. I had some great pictures of the northern lights behind one of our aircraft. I was with VP-66 and we were augmenting VP-10. Only got off base one day and it was a great day. Someday I mean to make it back there.

6. my wife CTA2 was there in uummmmm, 91-93 I believe, she liked it.

7. I was there "77-"78 with VP-24 Batmen!. Great memories.:cool:

8. Ship A'Hoy

Ship A'Hoy Trigger Control

I was staioned there from May 1976 - July 1978 at NavCommSta. I was at the transmitter site in Grindavik the whole time. We played VP-24 in football.

9. kiwibird1

kiwibird1 Loadmaster

I just flew in there last week and they are shutting completely down in Sept.

10. kiwibird1 will you be staying here until the end?

11. kiwibird1

kiwibird1 Loadmaster

No, we only stopped for fuel. Though we did go and take a picture in front of the statue in front of the terminal.

12. We here (police) work close with the Navy so it will be strange to come to work when the base has closed down.