Glock Talk banner

I was raised on the 1911

1K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Budqweiser 
#1 ·
I just got home from the shooting range. Had my S@W 745 and an unfired G21. I figured that I would waste a few rounds through the Glock for a warmup, then get serious with the Smith. It did not work out that way. I had an amazing experience with that damn Glock! I was raised on 1911's from the get go, and have relied on them for real target work for years. My Dad would kill me, but I shot the G21 better than the Smith target after target. This was the first time I've ever fired a. 45 glock. I'm just floored, sorry. Am I the only one that has ever been so surprised?

#2 ·
I do just fine with my Glocks, but best accuracy belongs to some of my 1911s. However, my wife smokes me on a regular basis, with a 1911 that she refers to as Her Baby. Targets over 3" are a waste of paper. That being said, I'm accurate enough with any of my Glocks to have a very good time shooting them. My hands have never been steady enough to be a dead-eye.

#3 ·
My first 1911 came about after my dad's passing, and I inherited it from him. I didn't know that all guns weren't as easy to shoot well, until I started buying others. I carry something else, but for my real test of ability, I always fall back on my 1911. It is a pleasure to shoot, and shoot well. It is my Gold standard to determine if I'm having problems because of me or the gun. It is a marvel of engineering.

Reactions: cwsmith17
#4 ·
That's what blows me away. I felt like a 745 would easily out shoot a Glock, but it didn't. I was concentrating adequately and just hit better with the 21. I feel like I need to rethink my "target setups" as far as guns are concerned. I was surprised is all.

#5 ·
If it works for you, congrats.

#6 ·
Don't take my remarks wrong. I carried a G27 for 10 or 12 years and was happy with it and the accuracy it offered. I changed to something different just for change. (and I like it too).

I love shooting my 1911, but I carry a 4" .357 Magnum that for me is fun to shoot because of the display. I just think my 1911 deserves an honorable place on my shelf rather than wandering around in the hood.

I am right now changing out the .357 M for another interesting CCW piece, just for the uniqueness of shooting, the experience and the capacity. An FN 5.7. If it doesn't work out I'm going back to the .357 M.

#20 ·
Nope. My experience is very similar. So much so that I'm getting out of the 1911 business altogether and depending on my Gen 4 G21 for my .45 needs.

About a year ago, 2 of my friends and I went to the range with 3 different .45s. I had a Sig Sauer P220, my co-worker had an HK45, and the other, a G21SF. We shot focus drills on dots and and did some accuracy work. The results were astonishing. I'll tell you now, prior to the that day, you could not have convinced me that my P220 wasn't the holy grail of all .45s. Period. I was wrong. All 3 of us are very seasoned shooters and we recognized almost immediately that the G21 was the star of the show. It recoiled SUBSTANTIALLY less than the other two, the tigger was FAR more user friendly, follow up shots were a breeze, and the G21 held many more bullets. Frankly, it just handled better than the P220 and HK45. I was sold and bought a Gen 4 G21 about 5 months ago. My first round through it was so soft that I thought I thought the Federal 230-grain bullet was a squib load. It wasn't. It just handles the recoil that well. The Gen 4 G21 recoiled even better than my friend's G21SF!

I own a SA TRP 1911 and an STI Trojan 1911 9mm. Fine guns. Top of the line. But...they're for sale. Frankly, I like my G21 better and shoot it just as well. For my needs, I'd rather not carry around a 42 ounce 1911 with 8-9 bullets when I can have a lighter, just as reliable if not more so, G21. I like mine so well that it is now my primary home defense handgun. I'm glad you had a great experience. You are not alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.