Glock Talk banner

I was given a Nikon D80 - hello

903 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  X-Spec 
#1 ·
Hi all! Me and my sis and step-mom threw down for my dad's Christmas present, a Nikon D90! Well my dad bought my sister some tires which are expensive! He gave me cash (thanks dad!) and he gave me the camera.

Well, I know my sister needed the tires, and they ain't cheap. But still I went out and bought her a camera, an Elph SD1100 Nikon in blue. I figure she should have something cool for Christmas, since she has the kids and needs something that can take some decent pics!
I have yet to give it to her.

Anyway, now I adopted a pretty much brand new Nikon D80 with two lenses; a 55-200 non-VR and an 18-55 with VR.

I know NOTHING about photography and I should read some books! Buuut I'm also impatient. These are some shots I tried to take...I hope they turn out okay. Constructive criticism is welcome, what I could do without is the "Oh that's crap I can do much better blah blah"

Close-up of my watch in Macro mode with the 18-55 lens, VR on, auto focus and holding the camera one handed and my left arm out.

I think this was in Macro mode too:

See less See more
#2 ·
Neither are bad for first shots :)

Congrats on an awesome present. That rocks! I got a flash for Christmas for my XT. :)

If you know nothing about photography, check out Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson (I think I got the name right...). He has a series of books. Start with that one then read Learning to See Creatively, Understanding Shutter Speed and one on creative people photography (that might be the name...I can't remember).

I knew nothing four years ago when I bought my XT out of the blue. Several books, and lots of money, later I have decent photos and am still having a lot of fun. I'm gonna warn you: this hobby is very expensive and it sucks you right in. :supergrin:

#3 ·
Thanks! I shall. :)
Here in Canada, the Canons are pretty cheap for some reason. I saw for 620 Canadian (512 USD) an XSi with an 18-55 lens! Wow. But I got the Nikon and I am happy with it! :)

#5 ·
And if anyone 'happened' to be murdered on December 28th at 2:49 and 55 seconds...you have an excellent alibi!! Very clever indeed.

Congrats on the new baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.