Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

I want to take the designer of the Ruger Mark III to the range and...

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Big Dog Dad, May 3, 2012.

1. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad

Jun 4, 2000
    S.W. Pa
    I have never had so much trouble with disassembly/reassembly of a pistol in my life. One time everything clicks back together with no problems; this time I'm about ready to hit this thing with a 16# sledge. I'll get that POS back together or use it as a very expensive door stop. I'd really like to take that Ruger designer to the range and use him as a target backstop. My rant is over!

2. irishbum

Jun 8, 2005
    Kansas City,KS
    Really? Seems pretty easy to me? :whistling:

[ame=""]Ruger MK III 22 45 Fieldstrip ( disassemble & reassemble ) made easy - YouTube[/ame]

I hated mine too til after watch'n video and made it all so much easier do.
    Also if you take out the mag disconnect and replace it with the Mark II bushing it makes it easier. Keeps you from having to do the whole mag in and out thing.
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

3. Alizard

Apr 5, 2012
    A lady at the range had a Mk III we could not get apart. I have smithed Mk II's for many years, still have no idea what was up with that gun. They ended up sending it back to Ruger. Funny how prices of used Mk II's went up after they brought out the Mk III...
  4. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    You mean the MKIII is harder to reassemble than my MKII?

The horror....
  5. I feel the same way you do. I may never take it apart again. Love shooting it but cleaning it sucks.
  6. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

Feb 23, 1999
    It's MUCH easier after removing the goofy mag safety.
  7. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Disassembly & Reassembly is easy-peasy. I don't know what y'all are complaining about. Just follow all the steps in order.
  8. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas's not rocket science.Hell, I have even detail stripped mine.
  9. While reading (and following) the instructions is typically "the last resort" for many people, that's not a good option when it comes to the Mark series. If you follow instructions precisely, it's really not hard to reassemble these guns. And yes, they are tight...but that beats the alternative, IMO.
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  10. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Jan 25, 2009
    Central FL
    For many, the "alternative" is a Browning Buckmark- which is MUCH easier to... well, everything. Shoot, clean, modify, you name it. Easier and with a better outcome. I have MK Is, IIs, and a III, and don't get me wrong, they are great pistols. I love mine.

I'd be interested to see if the OP could break down a Browning buckmark and clean it, then reassemble, just to see what he thinks. Way easier than an Mk series, IMO. Just sayin.
  11. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler

Sep 13, 2011
    That video is a good one. Pretty much says it all. The only thing that is different on my MKIII 22/45 RP target is to get the mainspring housing back in you must remove the mag. to get that little lever back in the grip.

Like he says to many people are making it harder than it needs to be.
  12. El_Ron1

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    The incessant caterwaulin' is entertaining.
  13. JD_19x9

Apr 23, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Most pistols you can break down without reading the instructions. With Rugers, not only do you have to read the instructions, you have to watch a video... :wow:

The field strip should be simple, you should not need tools...
  14. dooga

dooga 5 year in with Glocks

Mar 30, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    To quote YouTube: "It gets better"

The trick is getting the dangling pin thing to fall just right when you're trying to snap the backstrap clip back in in the end.

YouTube if your friend.
  15. Yeah,
    IIRC youse turns the gun up-sidezy - down
    to get that hangny thingy in the right po-si-tionne.
  16. El_Ron1

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    I don't want y'all to ever try changin' your own oil.
  17. Alizard

Apr 5, 2012
    I rebuilt a KZ-750 motor from the ground up and it was less of a pain than a Mk III.

You should see what used Mk II's sell for out here. I have built three of those with all VQ parts. You couldn't give me a Mk III.
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  18. Read the instructions and follow them to the letter. Far too many people have zero problems with reassembly for it to be some mysterious science or a particular brand of magic. Once you understand the process, it's easy. If it's not, reassess your mechanical apptitude.
  19. tcruse

Jun 10, 2011
    Yes, it can be reassembled y following the directions or the video. It has a lot of places where things can be moved to the wrong place and prevent success. New they are very tit and that makes things worse. Removing the mag safety makes assembly like the mark ii, much more straight forward. Even the sales person would not show the process.

I just replaced the hammer bushing tonight. Will take to range shortly and see of everything still works.
  20. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad

Jun 4, 2000
    S.W. Pa
    I have no problem with the procedure. I've done it many times before, but this time, the pin that goes up through the frame, bolt, and top wouldn't start no matter what I did. I finally got a mallet and a thin punch and was able to wiggle the punch in there and give it a tap to get it going. After that everything went together fine. I don't know what the hangup was, but I still think it is an awkward design. Good pistol, but awkward design. I still want to take the designer out and ...