close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I want my first M4

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by tedthorn, Mar 20, 2012.

1. I want a .223 M4 type rifle for around 700 give me a build list so I can play too

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    As with every other thread in the past week about this, it all depends on what you want to do. Do you want to just shoot targets? Home defense? SHTF? Competition?

Also, ARs are generally chambered in 5.56, not .223. A 5.56 chamber allows for use of military pressure 5.56 loads, and the weaker .223 civilian loads.

3. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    PSA Upper w/ BCG, MBUS & CH $550
    PSA Lower $240
    = $790

To hit the $700 tag build the lower yourself with the same parts and save $60 will get you pretty close.

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    :popcorn:

We need a sticky in this forum called "First AR, what should I get?". Plenty of guys who know a lot here to get together and put a page together.

5. ehh...thank you, beg your pardon also.....new here

6. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Jan 25, 2009
    Central FL
    Their google and GT search feature must be broken, is all I can figure.

7. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL

Depends on what you want. Complete rifle? Assemble a lower & top it off with a complete upper?

Used to be that you could find a S&W M&P 15-Sport for around $650. It isn't the case anymore, even if you can find one. Won't hurt to look for one.

Check out Palmetto State Armory.

If I were to build keeping near a $750 budget, I'd go with a PSA Stripped Lower and a PSA Mid-Length Rifle Kit.

If you have even an ounce of common sense, assembling a lower is easy as can be.

8. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker

Feb 16, 2009
  9. There are enough makers of AR's and aftermarket AR parts out there to boggle the brain.
    First don't get in a rush and make a hasty decision just because you want an AR now. Do a little research and ask questions,
    you'll get enough answers to surely confuse you, but do some homework and the final decision will be yours alone.

Second, I'm not being a snob here, but don't set yourself a low limit. You don't have to spend $1500-$2000 for a fine AR any
    longer. Spend a little extra on the important parts, upper, lower,
    bolt carrier group, barrel, and you can use basic parts like the handguards, sights, stock, etc., and you can customize it with upgrades later.
    I have had several different brands of AR's, yes a Colt was one, but I am a die hard fan of BCM's. There are many other fine quality makers out there to choose from, but BCM is a fine outfit.
    I'll give you a link for some lengthy reading, but good information in choosing an AR. Best of luck.

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?81462-So-you-want-to-buy-an-AR-15-huh

10. sr975j

sr975j

May 2, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    i built my first and only M4 for $775. I got a stripped Spike's lower from Aim Surplus. A Palmetto State Armory lower build kit with Magpul MOE grip and Magpul stock. For the upper, i got a Spike's upper off gunbroker. if you want to save a few bucks, you can get a Palmetto State Armory upper which, from what i hear, are pretty good quality.

Sam

11. Works just fine....figured to get ex-pert stuff here

12. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    If I thought an admin would actually sticky one, and that it would help, I'd chip in to help put one together.

If you can give us an idea of what you want to do with an AR, we can gladly give you solid advice based off of that.

13. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Colt is not always the answer to every "I want an AR" thread.

Again, different tools for different tasks, and for different price ranges.

14. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    As others have said, PSA is a good place to start.

15. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    So would I.

16. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

Sep 3, 2011
    Kansas
    They need to sticky one for barrel twist. I'm getting ready to start my first build and I'm confused as to what would be best for my needs.

Posted from my iPhone

17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Start up a new thread, and you'll get some answers. :supergrin:

18. Short...it's why i want a M4 it's going to live in my truck
    Varmint rifle with lots of lead flying!!!! (from my truck)
    Flat top with a red dot type sight
    But a fun gun to play with....Im a bolt gun guy that hunts....never wanted a "black rifle"