close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I want a Smith and Wesson

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Psychman, May 17, 2012.

1. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Indiana
    I am in the market for a Smith. What would you all suggest as a good .357 with a 4" barrel?

2. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Sep 6, 2001
    Not like there's a single choice made by S&W, you're going to have to decide, big (N Frame 28 maybe?) or medium large (L Frame 586/686) or medium (K Frame).

New or used? (lock or pre-lock)

Blue or stainless?

Range or carry?

Fixed or adjustable sight?

Things like that. Ponder them, grab one. It'll simply be the first of many I bet as you cannot go wrong with any of them really.

I vote older (pre lock) 586 4". (or a 581 if you can find one) Or a simple .38 spl Model 10 (you'll probably shoot more .38s than .357s truth be told... at least I do. YMMV)

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I'd go with the medium (L) framed 586 or 686. Its got great balance. 586 is blued, 686 is stainless.

Here's my 686. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Oct 20, 1999
    Maine USA
    I think S&W makes the best revolvers in that price range.
    Since they make so many models, you need to tell us what you want to do with it.
    CCW?
    Target practice?
    Home defense?
    Just for joy??

Here the 327 8 round Nightguard in .357Mag.
    [​IMG]

5. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Indiana
    I won't carry it for CCW, so just for target practice, home defense and JOY!!

6. Those guns have near rifle like accuracy. Semi autos are all the rage but when you find the right round for a full size S&W revolver the accuracy is amazing.

7. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Indiana
    I just love revolvers which is why I am looking for a good Smith and Wesson to add to my stable.

8. JordanK

JordanK

May 12, 2012
    El Paso, TX
    I'd go older if you could find one. Try a model 19/66 "Combat Magnum" (pretty much the same gun... 19 is blued, 66 is stainless. The latter is pictured). It is a K-frame, and people will tell you that you shouldn't fire full power .357 too often from the model. But, nobody told me that when I bought it and I've put thousands of handloads and high velocity magnums through it with no ill effects. It was made at the urging of gunfighting legend Bill Jordan. So, hell of a pedigree.

[​IMG]

If you prefer L/N-frame, the M27/28 is pretty hard to beat. The first began life as the S&W Registered Magnum, and had such illustrious adherents as Gen. Patton (who called it his "killing gun"), and the latter is functionally identical but without many purely aesthetic frills. Top strap ridging and a textured trigger, to name a few. It was made to be more affordable for the cop on the street, hence it's pre model number designation, the "highway patrolman".

The 6/327 is pretty much a modernized take on the 27... so if you can't find one of em' used somewhere, that'll no doubt work just as well. The 686 is decent... but they just don't make em' like they used to IMHO.

Hope that helped!

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  9. Model 28 is just about my favorite. It was my first duty weapon i ever carried back in the late 80's early 90's and was a VERY accurate shooter. My current Dan Wesson 15-2 has a SLIGHT edge in accuracy but not a ton.

10. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    :agree:

11. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
  12. I haven't seen a Smith & Wesson anything I don't like, but the Model 28 was the first one to grab my attention back when I was just a kid looking through the glass case. :wow:

It took me a long time, but I finally got one.

[​IMG]

If you want something a little smaller, the Model 19 is hard to beat.

Shoot. Just get one. You'll like it.

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    I'm a 4" 686 fan.

I don't suppose you shoot .45ACP at all.:whistling:

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    If I wanted it for range use and was not going to carry it I would go for a Model 27 or Model 28 (same gun basically; most noticeable difference is that the Model 27 has a higher degree of polish making its finish shinier.) Probably mostly a collectible now rather than a shooter, there is the Model 520 which is essentially a Model 28 but with fixed sights if I as looking for an N frame but without adjustable sights.
    If I was going to carry it alot then I probably would go for the Model 19 or 66 or maybe a Model 13 if I wanted fixed sights.

Handling several over the years, to me the triggers on N frames are usually a bit better than on K frames but a couple of the best revolver triggers I have had the pleasure of were on K frames.

15. glockrex

glockrex

Apr 24, 2007
    Texas
    I have a 686 with a 4" barrel. This is a gun that can be passed down for generations and will still be a work horse 100 years from now.

16. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

17. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Indiana

LOL. Actually I reload .45 ACP.

18. 20SFLV

20SFLV

Nov 5, 2011
    If you want it primarily for the range, the 6" model 28 is a good choice. You should be able to get it at a good price. The 4" model is good as well. As other people mentioned, you really can't go wrong with any model you see here. I have shot a 28 as well as a 681 (fixed sight version of the 686), and they are both great guns. The 28 is bigger than the 686, but both can eat .357 all day long.

19. What is wrong in this picture?
    Are my eyes playing tricks on me.