Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

I want a SHTF, HD, do everything, plinker

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by rainman33, Jan 1, 2011.

1. rainman33

Aug 17, 2009
    I know what I am looking for probably doesn't exist, so let me clarify. I want a good all around rifle. It must be capable in most situations, but obviously I hope all I ever do is plinking. I've narrowed it down to an AR15 Performance build in 6.8 SPC(18") , or a RRA LAR-8(16" or 20"). I know about ammo availability and prices. I looking for overall reviews and insight I may not have considered. Also, I'm 6'8" and 275lbs, so a bigger rifle, or recoil, doesn't bother me, and I'm looking for longer barrel lengths to make it more comfortable to shoot. Tell me your thoughts.
  2. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    I would never use a .308 for HD. A 6.8 SPC would be acceptable but there is nothing wrong with .223/5.56 with the right ammo. The one advantage of 6.8 is you could hunt deer. Since defense is my primary use I went with .223 but I would love to get a 6.8 upper at some point, esp when I start reloading.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

3. rainman33

Aug 17, 2009
    The LAR-8 for HD would be overkill (pun intended) for HD, and that's what the Mossberg is for - when things to bump in the night. I have access to my grandfather's bolt actions, but I want something of my own as an all around rifle. The .223/5.56 is a good round, but I do want a larger caliber to make it more adaptable to many situations. The LAR-8 looks like a lot of fun, but I can't find many recent reviews. Anyway, keep the comments coming.
  4. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Go read THIS THREAD. Then get a Lightweight 14.5" BCM middy. In 5.56.
  5. 5.56 is perfect for all those applications.
  6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Yup. :cool:
  7. doby

Dec 18, 2010
    indoor ranges, training novices. The .22 unit is what makes the 223 AR so superior to all the other choices.
  8. Wish I had one!
  9. RMTactical

RMTactical CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
  10. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Cuz it's weak. Real ninjas only shoot 6.7 Hypersteathxtreme.

At 33500 yards.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  11. mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    5.56 will sufice. Im a fan of 14.5" mid lengths. BCM, DD, or even Spikes would suite you. Just add a 13" rail. The 18 and 20" barrels wouldnt be ideal IMO for manuevering through a house. Im not up on the .308, sheet rock ballistics but I think you might end up repairing your neighbors interior walls.

I dont know your reach but Im guessing anywhere from the high 70s to low 80s. Id iimagine a 13"-14" rail would work.

AR15Performance makes good stuff.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  12. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Get a 16" BCM or similar.

Guy in my unit was 6'8". You discover why collapsible stocks are a good thing.
  13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

5.56 is way beyond proven for HD, SHTF, and especially plinking. You just have to do your part and pick the right ammo for each situation. While 62 grain M855 will do for just about all scenarios, you might also want the 77 grain for some applications or go to the boattail match ammo for some more long distance target practice.
  14. T-Rod45

T-Rod45 Loves The Glock

Apr 28, 2010
    I just picked up an LWRC M6A2 in 5.56 for the above reasons... And I'm loving it...:cool:
  15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    6.8 SPC is what I'm curently using.........I must be able to hunt with it. I found the .223/5.56 lacking.
    I left the 5.56 behind, have the 6.8 for HD, use a dedicated 22LR upper for range plinking trigger time
  16. Upstate Glocker

Upstate Glocker

Mar 16, 2008
    Upstate NY
    For what you want, unless you are set on an AR rifle design, consider a Marlin lever in .357 or .44Mag. They fit the bill just fine, esp the 44Mag which is probably better for hunting (the 5.56 is illegal for hunting deer in many states and is usually limited to hunting varmits/prarie dogs) up to 150 yards, is fun for plinking, and I can't imagine a better HD carbine than a 44Mag. The Marlin holds 10 rounds of thumping 240gr rounds.
  17. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    I have a Marlin .44. I wouldn't take a shot outside 100 yards.

And except on large animals, i'd rather have an AR (and do).

Feb 2, 2005
    Thomasville, NC
    Sounds like you need a 16" in 5.56...and then get an upper in 6.5 (or Baer's new .264) with a 20" (ish) barrel. Might pick up a dedicated upper in .22LR for plinking/small game.

Yeah, its more expensive than just one AR, but you're wanting a wide range of capabilities.

Define the mission, then have the equipment match the mission requirements. You'll never see a B-52 in an air superiority role, and you'll never see an F-15 as a've gotta work inside the box you're playing in.

19. I just ordered one :)
  20. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I have to agree on the whole 5.56/223 thing. Unless you plan on using it for deer hunting. The 5.56 is plenty for killing deer but it is just illegal to use .22 caliber rifles in many states. It is cheaper to shoot and ammo is plentiful than just about any other centerfire option. Sure 7.62x39 and 5.45 are cheaper if you get the cheap stuff but that is all imported ammo and there is no saying that importing ammo from Russia will be legal in 10years. I would rather stick with American made ammo calibers if I was only going to have just one. 5.56 will work fine for everything from plinking to HD/SHTF.

Note: Yes Winchester and a few other American brands make 7.62x39 but it is ridiculously expensive