I want a S&W 629 .44 magnum

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DARKSHADOW, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Which gun did Harry carry in the Dirty Harry movie?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Actually, I much prefer the 4.25" v-comp. i do not like the comp, so I took it off and put the shorter shroud/crown protector on. It is a very handy field revolver, and quite a nice/stout shooter, with the ball/detent lockup on the front of the cylinder/yoke/crane. There were some 5 inch versions made, but not many.

I prefer the 4", or actually 4.25" version, though it will not fit any 4" holsters. So you have to either use a 5 inch or go custom.

3. I kind of like the longer barrel, but in .41 mag,

[​IMG]

I like the Nickled -1 and the 629 in a 4" for the belt

[​IMG]

But I got a deal on a blued 6" that I couldn't pass up. It might just become the "fun at the rage" DA .44"

[​IMG]

4. The M29.

I've got a couple of those.

5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Ruger LCP...:whistling:

:rofl:

6. DARKSHADOW

DARKSHADOW My Work Hobby
    CLM

Thank you for the replies so far guy's. :wavey:

7. Well i didn't offer much advice, so I'll make up for that now.

I think the caliber is great for a handloader and IMO most of the factory loads are a bit more than is really practically needed. I find a 240 gn or better at 1,100 to 1,200 fps will take anything in Oregon as far as I feel comfortable pointing a pistol at it. That is why I have stuck to the more "standard" models. I find them to be just fine with the handloads I use. Saves more money for more lead and powder too.:supergrin:

8. My understanding was that he carried the 8 3/8. All though in some of the shots it looked like a 6".

9. barth

barth six barrels

[​IMG]

#29 barth, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  10. It was both. They used both barrel lengths in the Dirty Harry movies.

#30 bac1023, Sep 29, 2012
  11. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

For some of us, the pre-lock is the only 629 that will be acceptable. I'm in that camp. From a collector's point of view, the pre-lock Smiths will always hold a higher value, and will be more desirable.

This is not to say newer Smiths are not good revolvers.......it's a personal preference many of us hold.

My 629-2 is a pretty stiff recoiler with 300g cast bullets.......but, a handy packable woods gun that can stop big bears with a bad attitude, is it's sole purpose for me. With these loads, the Pachmayr grips are a must, although I do prefer them on any revolver, except those intended for ccw.

It would be a pretty good range shooter with light loads, but since I have several 357 revolvers, I don't bother.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#31 hogship, Sep 29, 2012
  12. barth

barth six barrels

All four of my S&W revolvers are pre lock.
    I will not own a lock S&W revolver.
    Although my 629-2 is a tack driver.
    I prefer my 65-3 3" 357 heavy barrel for carry and range.
    [​IMG]

#32 barth, Sep 29, 2012
  13. Fantastic Sir, well played..................

14. That is the twin, belt and holster, to my "foul weather rig" around here. I went with a speed loader pouch (rigid leather-looking plastic) and a nylon ammo loop carrier.

I sometimes switch out the 629 for a model 58 though

15. For a range toy have you considered the S&W 500? I have had people 10 lanes away stop to ask what kind of shotgun I am shooting just to look extremely confused when all they see is a huge revolver when they walk up.

16. The 629 Classic is such a beautiful gun. Mines a range toy and bear defense. Living in Kansas it only sees the range. :)

[​IMG]

17. Got a fluted one of these, awsome, weighs less or very close to my 686+. It's a beast!

Got an unfluted full lug 5". Would go up to 6" half-lug if it were for hunting or range only.

I think 4-5" is a great woods gun but the 3" will do the job for SD against about anything and it's bad ass. I vote 4" fluted half-lug.

18. DARKSHADOW

DARKSHADOW My Work Hobby
    CLM

Lol, no thank you. Macho is fine, but that is too macho for me. I want something I can load more than once before I'm done with it for the day. :wavey:

19. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

I have that exact same pistol (Model 29-4). Very nice shooting iron. It came with the nice wooden target stocks, but the rubber grips are much nicer for shooting.

[​IMG]

I actually picked up a belt holster for it. What a dumb idea that was. Should have got a cross draw rig like this.

[​IMG]

#39 Haldor, Sep 29, 2012
  20. I've gone through this thread carefully from top to bottom, looking at all the entrants.

I award your revolver the blue ribbon :)