close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I think my 24 hour old Springfield Operator KB'ed on me today....

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Airborne Infantryman, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    Before I begin, no, I don't have pics. I was shooting my Springfield MC Operator I just bought last night, and was shooting factory Mag-Tech 230g ball when the 10th round went off with half recoil and a muted sound. The hammer was at half-cock. Smoke rolled out of the back of the gun and out the magwell when I dropped the mag. I thought it was a squib, so I tried to clear the gun, and it wouldn't budge.

I packed up and walked up to the house, and upon trying to push the slide open by resting the slide on the edge of a table and resting my body weight on it, I quickly realized I wouldn't be hand cycling this one clear. I dropped a pencil down the barrel to see if there was a bullet stuck, and there wasn't. I used a mirror to confirm there was no round, and it was clear; I could see the bottom of the spent shell casing.

Upon inspecting the pistol, I then realized that the barrel was splintered/bulged/cracked inside of the slide, and was the reason why I wasn't able to clear the weapon. The weapon looks perfectly normal on the outside.....its when looking down the barrel you see the catastrophe. :crying:

The round before the "dud" round was perfectly normal; fired and ejected normally....

I have no clue what the hell happened. I am terrified that my 24 hour old, $1100 pistol is destroyed. I have no clue what, and IF Springfield will do a damn thing for me. This really ****ing sucks!

I fear I'm out $1100 now.....what should I do? I will call Springfield on Monday, but do you think they will repair it? It was factory ammo....could there have been an issue with the barrel? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, guys. :crying:

Do I have recourse with Mag-Tech if Springfield will not fix the gun? I mean, ****, the shell casing is still stuck in the gun!!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    You'll have recourse with one or the other. I've heard of that situation going in both directions. I wouldn't worry much. I'll bet you end up with a new gun.

3. Alcoy

Alcoy

Jul 13, 2006
    Virginia
    Springfield has great customer service. They fixed my gun I bought used and paid for postage both way.

Goodluck.

4. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    You are worrying about nothing. Call springer. Then Call Magtech.

5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I have full faith that SA will take care of the matter to your satisfaction. :thumbsup:

6. Rally Vincent

Rally Vincent Bipolar

Feb 16, 2003
    The Bar.
    Maybe they will replace it with a Colt.

Jk.

That's horrible news. I hear nothing but good things about SA customer service though. Should be fine.

7. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    Springfield Customer Service is easy and pleasant to deal with. I'd be very surprised if they didn't help you.

Remember, their barrels are two piece barrels. So, it is not beyond the realm of imagination that there was a barrel failure.

They'll be straight up with you, as I'm sure you will be with them.

8. steve1911

steve1911

Jul 12, 2004
    oregon
    Sprigfield customer service is oustanding, they are secound too none in cs.

1911club#410

9. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    That sucks man. Hope everything works out for you.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    They put a 2-piece barrel into a higher end pistol?

My Loaded has a 2-piece barrel but that's understandable consider the price point.

11. Better check again on that statement. It's a one piece barrel.

12. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    Damn, that sucks. And it was just a few days ago when you were posting about getting a new gun. Hope everything works out for you.

13. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    I wouldn't call this event "nothing".

Yes, but maybe at owners expense. I'd be looking for magtech to cover the cost, if any, in the event SA won't. Show us some pics.

Maybe some Brazilian booty walked by:rofl:

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Look to Magtech,.....this was the ammuition's fault, not Springfield's

15. That's terrible news AI, let us know what SA and ammo company are willing to do to fix it once you contact them. Good luck.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Billua

Billua Lake Mead Explr

Sep 30, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    That blows. I hope someone makes it right.

17. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

Exactly. Good luck getting a Third World ammo co. to replace your gun. :whistling:

Never use ammo from a country that has no potable water. Magtech is made in Brazil.

18. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    MagTech has been notified. Waiting on them to get back to me. I'll keep ya'll updated. If I do end up having to pay out of pocket, hopefully the most I'll need to pay is for a barrel, barrel link, and slide stop. Still better than paying for another Operator......

19. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    This really does suk,.....if, in the end you have to pay for a barrel,
    have SACS do the work & have a Kart NM fitted.