Glock Talk banner

I think my 21 has proven its durability

298K views 430 replies 274 participants last post by  Terry G 
#1 ·
For several years I’ve been abusing and neglecting my Glock 21. A running joke among some friends and I, nothing planned or documented. As I tell people what it has been through, most simply don’t believe me. I wouldn’t either, I guess. If someone told you their Glock has at least 150K rounds through it, and has gone almost 15K rounds with no cleaning or maintenance, would you believe them?

I want to do this so I have documentation, of what has been done, and how it worked. I don’t care about 500rds without a FTE, or FTF. Once it was buried in the mud w/a full mag, and when I dug it out the next day it went bang the first time I pulled the trigger but the weight of all the mud on the slide kept it from cycling. I scraped off most of the mud on my boot and fired the remaining 12 shots without a problem.

I want to know how much can it take and still function. If not function perfectly – what will it take to get running again.

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:
Hey partner, better you than me. I wouldnt do that test on any pistol I've gotta pay for. You do realize of course you're gonna make a $400 gun into a $100 gun?
Its all been done already, I'm just going to keep track this time. Heres a pic after around 15K rounds with no cleaning, and being buried in mud etc...
The barrel fouling was amazing, it was basically a smooth bore.

Originally Posted By dubb-1:
Originally Posted By triburst1:
Which of your 1911s are you going to put through the same tests?[;)]
I'd vote for Springfield Professional Model.

Be well!
Come on over and toss your Pro (video)out the window. Hopefully it will land on my glock instaed of the rocks.

See less See more
#378 ·
When my Department switched to Glocks they had a representative from Glock come to our Department. They showed video from the Glock factory. They disassembled 1,000 Glocks all of the same caliber and threw all the parts in a pile. Reassembled them and everyone fired. They put one in sand and salt water for a year and took it out and it fired. Dropped one from a helicopter and it fired. Great reliable gun. We were issued Glock22 and I carried a Glock 21 as my backup.

#379 ·
Thanks big bore!

Saw this few years ago on line and it influenced my buying a G 21sf as first handgun.
I've since bought, sold and traded over 15 Glocks and kept three with 100% confidence and satisfaction that they'll go "bang" when needed and "click," when thy should.

Appreciate your efforts on this projects!

#388 · (Edited)
Even the Austrian military for whom the pistol was designed for does not carry a Glock, they use a Sig.

WHOA! - that's not true. I just got back Austria (2 weeks ago) and the Austrian Military all were carrying the military version of the large frame 9mm's. I talked to the soldiers and they seemed happy with them.

"a man who fired his Glock 17 underwater in his swimming pool has gone deaf in one ear and lost sight in one eye because of the gun blowing up form water obstructing the bore."

WHOA! - I'm sure someone has used a Glock to blow his brains out and kill someone but this is reason (like firing a Glock underwater) to not carry one?

Also any Glock that is subjected to a constant firing of 500 rounds or more in a short period of time, will have to have the trigger mechanism, trigger reset spring, and disconnector replaced as these and other parts will melt and warp due to the extreme heat inside the pistol while firing.

WHOA! - not sure what you mean by "constant" firing of 500 rounds or more - but I took my son's Boy Scout troop out (with about 20 extra mags that were loaned by other folks on my department) and these young men fired my Glock 22 about 1500 rounds+ One Glock, 10 boys (2 mags each- shoot your two mags, go the back of the line, reload, and shoot them when you're turn came up). I had two NRA range instructors with me to supervise the shooting part, I supervised the reloading.

We had multiple target stations so we only changed targets 1/2 through.

I'm also afraid to admit that about 1/2 of the rounds were lead reloads (oh, no! - loaded on a Dillion) and we had no issues or problems. So we'd fired about 750 rounds almost non stop with no issues. We then fired another 750 rounds with no issues.

After the session, I showed the guys how to clean the pistol.

So, while I have a couple of SIGS, a whole bunch of Colt .45 - I'm not buying that Glocks fall apart when someone shoots 500 rounds through one.
Well, took the Boy Scout troop out again, this time had an extra G22 with us, shot about 1200 LRN bullets out of both guns.

No problems, no issues. (Sore thumb from loading so many magazines in such a short period of time).

Nothing beats taking a bunch of responsible teenagers out and teaching the basics of firearms safety.

Bigbore- keep up the good work n

#389 ·
Well, took the Boy Scout troop out again, this time had an extra G22 with us, shot about 1200 LRN bullets out of both guns.

No problems, no issues. (Sore thumb from loading so many magazines in such a short period of time).

Nothing beats taking a bunch of responsible teenagers out and teaching the basics of firearms safety.

Bigbore- keep up the good work n
I hope you have good insurance. Boy Scouts are not allowed to shoot handguns at troop events. By allowing them to participate in an unauthorized activity you took full responsibility yourself for any mishap. Had one if your reloads KB'd a Glock you would be sleeping in a cardboard box.

#391 ·
Ah, oops... I did sell mine then immediately realized what I'd done and started looking for another one. Now, again, I have one Glock (G21) and one Glock only exactly because of threads like this. I shoot and carry several others but when TSHTF, and my life depends upon on it, the G21 will be the go to.

#397 ·
I'm surprised I didn't see this article/thread before now. Very impressive! I'm not known for taking care of my firearms but nothing like this. I find it very timely that I recently ordered a Gen 3 G21 . My edc is a G20 that has been bobble free for the past 3 years . With the exception of a couple reloaded rounds I had totally out of spec for oal.
The only thing I've ever broke on a Glock was the front sight at around 45 below when I pulled the pistol from under the van seat and it caught on the steel seat frame. It sheared off flush with the slide. Of a G19. Other than that I've never had ANYTHING not work 100% of the time.
Thanks again.

#398 ·
I have had several Glocks, and bought sold and traded several more that were duplicates. I don't have any duplicates right now, but will get more Glocks. Right now I have
G-17, G-17L, G-19
G-22, G-23
G-21, G-30s
G-17 Frame with Advantage Arms conversion 22cal
With more to come just haven't decided which one yet.
I am waiting for A conversion kit for the 22 TCM from Armscor.
I usualy get to the range about once a week and rotate what I take.
Also take 1911's and revolvers in turn, I try to exercise all of them.
I also have a Tactical 20 guage pump, with #4 Buck shot. I have been looking for a 12 guage pump to add to the group.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.