Glock Talk banner

I think my 21 has proven its durability

298K views 430 replies 274 participants last post by  Terry G 
#1 ·
For several years I’ve been abusing and neglecting my Glock 21. A running joke among some friends and I, nothing planned or documented. As I tell people what it has been through, most simply don’t believe me. I wouldn’t either, I guess. If someone told you their Glock has at least 150K rounds through it, and has gone almost 15K rounds with no cleaning or maintenance, would you believe them?

I want to do this so I have documentation, of what has been done, and how it worked. I don’t care about 500rds without a FTE, or FTF. Once it was buried in the mud w/a full mag, and when I dug it out the next day it went bang the first time I pulled the trigger but the weight of all the mud on the slide kept it from cycling. I scraped off most of the mud on my boot and fired the remaining 12 shots without a problem.

I want to know how much can it take and still function. If not function perfectly – what will it take to get running again.

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:
Hey partner, better you than me. I wouldnt do that test on any pistol I've gotta pay for. You do realize of course you're gonna make a $400 gun into a $100 gun?
Its all been done already, I'm just going to keep track this time. Heres a pic after around 15K rounds with no cleaning, and being buried in mud etc...
The barrel fouling was amazing, it was basically a smooth bore.

Originally Posted By dubb-1:
Originally Posted By triburst1:
Which of your 1911s are you going to put through the same tests?[;)]
I'd vote for Springfield Professional Model.

Be well!
Come on over and toss your Pro (video)out the window. Hopefully it will land on my glock instaed of the rocks.

See less See more
#352 ·
Wvladimire, my friend!

Are you by chance a former poster using the name of kygunsmith or something
like that?

Your "approach" at finding fault with any certain firearm sounds strangely
familiar from other websites?

If I'm right, You've taken potshots at HK pistols recently and was banned
for it?

Who are you?

#354 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YqcvuRRggM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfNV9bJoSg

And your point? I can dig up two to three AD for Glock for every one on a 1911.
My point? You didn't say ***** about my entire 1st post, then when I threw that link up after you used that as an escape to not address a thing I pointed out. I did so with respect the 1st time, even though you didn't deserve it.
Oh, by the way, I certainly did NOT "dig it up". It was right on my facebook homepage! I laughed then c&p it since it was obviously appropriate. If you can't make your point, take constructive criticism, accept when others have a point while still holding onto yours, then this site isn't for you. Troll elsewhere.

#357 ·
For the average day to day person, a Glock or any other gun is going to suit them just fine. I don't know too many of us in civilization that are gonna get caught in extreme sand conditions and need to fire 200 rounds or more.

Exceptions are the military and police (but besides extreme situations, how man police have had to fire 200 rounds)

#358 ·
No I have not been banned from the H&K forum.
Nor have I taken potshots at the H&K pistol.
H&K make the finest handguns on the planet.
Sig follows second.

As far as the S.E.A.Ls, you are wrong, just announced
To the public in Tactical Life, is the whole
story about them adopting the H&K 45C with
threaded barrel.

The you tube video was the 1,000 round torture
Test, which showed the guide rod melt & fly out
the front of the gun. And it shows how the
Trigger gets mushy and gritty after firing
more than 200 rounds rapidly.

The public document I listed sows the recent
tests from Homeland security, that sowed
the failures of all pistols tested. Flock, was one
of those pistols with failures.

But as I said, I can list all sorts of sources
to the shortcomings of Glock and other pistols.
But the fanatics will only believe what they
want to believe, despite the facts.
Glock is simple design, built on the cheap, and
marketed very well. Metal, machined parts are
more durable than plastic or polymer.

#359 ·
This thread is not about S.E.A.L.S. of HK's or any of that non-sense. Its about one man trying to see how much abuse his Glock can take.

Its pretty sad someone's life is so pathetic they have to come to a Glock forum and tell a bunch of Glock fans how much Glock sucks!

Lets try and not get this thread locked!

#360 ·
I don't know of any elite unit in either the military or law enforcement that uses a Glock. Although the Ohio DR&C has just upgraded their sidearms from S&W 38's to either the Glock 20 or 22 in 40 S&W but the DR&C are about 15 years behind the times equipment wise.
Delta is using the Glock 22 with 165 gr. ammo.

Triple Canopy, a private security company founded by former Delta guys use the Glock 19.

The majority of law enforcement organizations use Glocks.

#362 ·
No, it's pretty pathetic that fanatics have no common sense. Cannot look at this test cynically and see that some parts are clearly nonsense and unbelievable. I sourced public documents and videos that can bee seen by anyone, and even one of the public documents is not mainly about glock, but lists the failures of glock pistols during testing against S&W and Sig. Yet the fanatics cannot be reasoned with and won't believe the evidence right before their eyes.

Glock is not the be all end all of pistol designs. It has it's shortcomings and weaknesses just like others. It has a major marketing campaign that says they are the best, when they are not. The main selling feature of the Glock to police departments was, that it was cheaper than the Sig and better, because it did not have the weakness of the mainspring or hammer spring being covered by a screwed on polymer grip. If that grip chipped or cracked, departments were told, even though the pistol could be fired, albeit a little difficult to not pinch your hand when doing so. It was marketed that the Glock with it's solid polymer grip frame was better. After years of use in my state, the departments are switching back to Sigs and Smith & Wesson, because of too many so called, "user error misfires."

The facts are there, ignore them if you wish, but there are better pistols out there. I was a huge Glock fan at one time, but when I actually detailed stripped the pistol, and saw how cheaply it was made on the inside, my rose colored glasses were lifted. I have named the cheaply made parts earlier that melt. How do I know this, from experience. Why do I question the test, and take some things about it with a grain of salt, because I was not there, and know that all surveys and tests are curved to support the facts. The biggest red flag for me, was the drop test from the airplane. The pistol was buried up to the grip in mud. And the tester simply pulled the gun out, made sure the chamber was clear, and fired it. Now gravity is gravity, and mud is mud, it was not dry dirt, and you want me to believe that the bore was not filled with debris??? No way, I don't believe it, and will not believe it, because that goes completely against reality and real life experience. Those who do not question that, are just plain zombies. Continue to drink your government Kool-Aid, be good little zombies, and do not question authority.

***Or better yet, try the test yourself, from a step ladder, and drop your unloaded pistol in the mud. Do it 10 times, a 100 times, a 1,000 times or less, and tell me that you got no debris in the bore with any of the drops.*** Simple as that, do the test before you attack, demean, and ridicule me. If not, then you show that you do not think on your own, and are a good little zombie.

#364 ·
Source, youtube video of Glock 1,000 round torture test, search it or are you too lazy?
No S.E.A.L. team six, the news said they were the ones who took out Bin Laden. Also article in Blue Press magazine June edition and public record search.
Failures for Glock from Homeland Security testing, public document # B-402339.3

But it doesn't matter what I source to the failures of this pistol, because you will believe what you want to believe and not believe the shortcomings of this pistol.

Please provide a link to this document an internet search finds the only place it exsist is in this thread. I searched and could not locate this on the Homeland security website as well. I realize it may be secret squirrel secret but I have a acorn clearance

which issue of Blue press ?

I could not find the troll icon to post for you but let me call you one now.

also in another post you mentioned a Glock 20 in .40s&w . a 20 is 10mm

#365 ·
No, it's pretty pathetic that fanatics have no common sense. Cannot look at this test cynically and see that some parts are clearly nonsense and unbelievable. I sourced public documents and videos that can bee seen by anyone, and even one of the public documents is not mainly about glock, but lists the failures of glock pistols during testing against S&W and Sig. Yet the fanatics cannot be reasoned with and won't believe the evidence right before their eyes.

Glock is not the be all end all of pistol designs. It has it's shortcomings and weaknesses just like others. It has a major marketing campaign that says they are the best, when they are not. The main selling feature of the Glock to police departments was, that it was cheaper than the Sig and better, because it did not have the weakness of the mainspring or hammer spring being covered by a screwed on polymer grip. If that grip chipped or cracked, departments were told, even though the pistol could be fired, albeit a little difficult to not pinch your hand when doing so. It was marketed that the Glock with it's solid polymer grip frame was better. After years of use in my state, the departments are switching back to Sigs and Smith & Wesson, because of too many so called, "user error misfires."

The facts are there, ignore them if you wish, but there are better pistols out there. I was a huge Glock fan at one time, but when I actually detailed stripped the pistol, and saw how cheaply it was made on the inside, my rose colored glasses were lifted. I have named the cheaply made parts earlier that melt. How do I know this, from experience. Why do I question the test, and take some things about it with a grain of salt, because I was not there, and know that all surveys and tests are curved to support the facts. The biggest red flag for me, was the drop test from the airplane. The pistol was buried up to the grip in mud. And the tester simply pulled the gun out, made sure the chamber was clear, and fired it. Now gravity is gravity, and mud is mud, it was not dry dirt, and you want me to believe that the bore was not filled with debris??? No way, I don't believe it, and will not believe it, because that goes completely against reality and real life experience. Those who do not question that, are just plain zombies. Continue to drink your government Kool-Aid, be good little zombies, and do not question authority.

***Or better yet, try the test yourself, from a step ladder, and drop your unloaded pistol in the mud. Do it 10 times, a 100 times, a 1,000 times or less, and tell me that you got no debris in the bore with any of the drops.*** Simple as that, do the test before you attack, demean, and ridicule me. If not, then you show that you do not think on your own, and are a good little zombie.
What I find pathetic is you, on the other hand after all of this, I still went ahead and bought me a G23.

#368 ·
thanks for all the updates BigBore. It really is amazing all the things it went through. I hope you continue to post about this from time to time. At the very least it's a good link I can send when someone tells me how much superior a different manufacturer is. :cool:

#374 ·
Even the Austrian military for whom the pistol was designed for does not carry a Glock, they use a Sig.

WHOA! - that's not true. I just got back Austria (2 weeks ago) and the Austrian Military all were carrying the military version of the large frame 9mm's. I talked to the soldiers and they seemed happy with them.

"a man who fired his Glock 17 underwater in his swimming pool has gone deaf in one ear and lost sight in one eye because of the gun blowing up form water obstructing the bore."

WHOA! - I'm sure someone has used a Glock to blow his brains out and kill someone but this is reason (like firing a Glock underwater) to not carry one?

Also any Glock that is subjected to a constant firing of 500 rounds or more in a short period of time, will have to have the trigger mechanism, trigger reset spring, and disconnector replaced as these and other parts will melt and warp due to the extreme heat inside the pistol while firing.

WHOA! - not sure what you mean by "constant" firing of 500 rounds or more - but I took my son's Boy Scout troop out (with about 20 extra mags that were loaned by other folks on my department) and these young men fired my Glock 22 about 1500 rounds+ One Glock, 10 boys (2 mags each- shoot your two mags, go the back of the line, reload, and shoot them when you're turn came up). I had two NRA range instructors with me to supervise the shooting part, I supervised the reloading.

We had multiple target stations so we only changed targets 1/2 through.

I'm also afraid to admit that about 1/2 of the rounds were lead reloads (oh, no! - loaded on a Dillion) and we had no issues or problems. So we'd fired about 750 rounds almost non stop with no issues. We then fired another 750 rounds with no issues.

After the session, I showed the guys how to clean the pistol.

So, while I have a couple of SIGS, a whole bunch of Colt .45 - I'm not buying that Glocks fall apart when someone shoots 500 rounds through one.

#375 ·
I haven't posted any updates in a long time, because I don't have much to say. I still shoot this 21 on a regular basis, and it just keep going. I ended up throwing away a couple warn out magazines, but the 21 is still performing like day one; had a good day at the range with it today.
Very cool tests. Thanks for sharing with us. It was pretty fun reading all the stuff yout threw at the gun. I bet Gaston Glock had no idea how good his product was/would become.

Pretty cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.