close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I think I'm done with the 357sig

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by greyeyezz, Oct 26, 2010.

1. greyeyezz

greyeyezz
    Expand Collapse

I'm getting a .40 barrel for my G32. Checking some of the ammo deals on .40 ammo blew me away. 500 rds of rangers for 150-160 bucks? Gold Dots were double that at ammoman. I'm done.

I have a nice stash of 1,300 357 loads for shtf.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

That's $16 per box for Rangers? That's quite unusual, usually they're $24 or so. What is the product number? You sure it's not the "Z" stuff (not that there is anything wrong with that but you want to be sure you're comparing apples).

#2 cowboy1964, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  3. Beware Owner

Beware Owner
    Expand Collapse
    NOT a victim.

Do you reload?

4. OkieGunNut

OkieGunNut
    Expand Collapse

That is why I have not purchased a factory centerfire round in the last thirty years and have shot around 200,000 rnds in that time. Reloading, thank God for reloading.

5. greyeyezz

greyeyezz
    Expand Collapse

cdnn has 155gr rangers for 17 a box, 169 a case.

No i don't reload, I should. But what if there's another shortage of components? I'm back to square one.

6. Beware Owner

Beware Owner
    Expand Collapse
    NOT a victim.

There really wasn't ever a "shortage," for those who knew where and how to look. Still, there's that secret little stash hidden somewhere....a REAL reloader is never without components!

7. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

The only thing ever in short supply @ reasonable prices are primers. You can store 10K primers in the space of 1K rounds of ammo & for less money too. If you shoot something like the 357sig, reloading is a must. You can reload for it at 9mm cost, about $11/100. So keep at least 5K primers on hand & you are good to go. When I get down to that, I order up another 10K.:dunno: Bullets & powder have always been available.

#7 fredj338, Oct 26, 2010
  8. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I keep my 357sig shooting to a minimum these days. I'm interested in reloading, but since I have other caliber options, I usually just go that way.

9. RottnJP

RottnJP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

For you guys "in the know" on reloading, where are the best places to get components? Primers, powder, etc. Whatever.

10. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

You can reload 357 sig for $115 a thousand.
    If you go to the reloading sub forum you can find out anything you want to know.
    To be completely honest upfront you have to buy supplies and some equipment. The equipment is going to cost you a minimum of $300 buck. Most of us have over a grand into it. To save money you have to have your brass. You do keep your old brass don't you? You also need to buy your primers at least 1 K at a time and 2K of projectiles. By figuring the difference in cost my press (Dillon 550) payed for itself in 4 months. Another three months for all the extras and I was even. Now I save on every round. I save about 3 grand a year and shoot all I want.

11. RottnJP

RottnJP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Yeah, I need to pick their brains over there, but I was hoping for a few source ideas from a couple of reloaders who poked their heads' up on this thread. I guess in hind-sight a bit of an attempted hi-jack, so I apologize.

A friend's dad just moved into my area with all his reloading equipment. We've been chatting guns here and there, and he offered me the use of his equipment. So although I have been saving my brass towards the day I'd have space for a set-up, I haven't been paying attention to component costs or sources at all. :dunno: Now all of a sudden, I need to know!! It's too good an opportunity to pass up. :wavey:

#11 RottnJP, Oct 26, 2010
  12. PersonOfInterest

PersonOfInterest
    Expand Collapse

Just one word of caution, reloading is all good however if your new to it - id avoid starting with the 357sig - it can be tricky in some respects, if your going to start id do so with something more simple ie a straight walled case - that stubby bottle neck can be tricky - plus the seating, projectile length, resizing and getting the sizer to the point were it wont push down the shoulders - list goes on anyway just something to think about.

13. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

14. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse

I have thought about getting a .357 Sig barrel for my G22, but whats the point?

The .357 Sig ammo costs more, but I cant seem to find any evidence where it is better than the .40SW for Self defense.

15. Beware Owner

Beware Owner
    Expand Collapse
    NOT a victim.

You'd have to look it up, but it's better barrier penetration.

16. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse

I have heard this about the 357 Sig.

This does not make it better for me. Over penetrating the person I have to shoot is a bad thing for me.

The 357 Sig also has a louder report, flash and bang and snappier recoil.

This does not benefit me.

And of course it cannot make a bigger hole in the target than the 40SW.

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I'm a reloader, and I gave up on the .357sig as well. Brass in 9, 40, 45 is plentiful.. Finding .357sig brass at my range was near impossible, and factory ammo was absurdly expensive.

I was quite happy when I sold that gun to someone else.

IGF

18. BOGE

BOGE
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I`m confused. :dunno: Reload your factory brass or buy Starline. I rarely shoot over 200 rds. in a practice session. I simply collect my spent brass & reload them again.

19. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Once fired @ $35/1K, cheap enough & just as easy to find as o.f. 40 or 9mm. Cheaper than 45acp too. Hey, it's America, for now at least, freedom of choice.:supergrin:

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Not really much to be confused about...When I can't find factory ammo to buy (or the ammo is so ridiculously expensive compared to other calibers), it's not worth buying factory ammo.

It would have only cost me about $50-$60(not including components) to setup in .357sig.... but then it comes back to the topic of this thread... the .357sig really doesn't do anything that isn't already accomplished by the 40 and/or 9mm. Slowly, it kinda went into the safe, and stayed there and wasn't pulled out in almost 2yrs other than to give it a light oil.

I dumped it for $400, and it had hardly been fired... I sold it to a guy I work with, and he's never really commented to me much about it(despite talking about his other guns), so I suspect he dumped it, or doesn't like it, and it's a safe queen.

IGF