close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I tempted with fate and almost paid the price.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by atakawow, Dec 8, 2011.

1. atakawow

atakawow

Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Hello all,

I encountered an incident earlier today that I wish to share. Earlier this morning, I met up with another fella at the local shooting range to do a gun trade. The fella was nice enough to offer me a box of his own .45 colt reloads, no charge, to get me started with my newly acquired gun, said these are his Cowboy loads. The box is marked "6.2 gr Titegroup."

I was giddy as a school girl. I was alone at the range, with a newly acquired toy (Vaquero) in one hand, and a box of ammo in the other to boot. All too convenience, I thought. I ignored the cardinal rule and proceeded toward the shooting area with a box of unknown reloads. I loaded up my newly acquired Vaquero, cocked the hammer, and took aim. Now, at that moment, I couldn't say that it was an intervention from the above or what, but my senses came rushing back into my empty head. I immediately lowered the gun, lowered the hammer, removed the loaded rounds back into the box, and went home.

Once at home, I decided to pull some of those unknown reloads to verify the charge. I randomly selected 5 out of the 50 rounds. Keep in mind the box is marked "6.2 gr Titegroup." The very first round I pulled had a charge weighing in at 16.4 gr...I didn't have a .45 colt round, what I had was a mini explosive. I pulled the rest of the 49 remaining rounds. When done, out of the 50 pulled rounds, 24 of them had not a speck of powder in them. The only round that was weighted had nearly three times the intended powder charge.

I wish to clarify that there is no ill intent between myself and this fella. He is considered by the locals to be a very seasoned handloader as well as a very respected person among the local SASS. Mistakes do happen even among the most seasoned of us all.

I broke the rule. I made a huge mistake. I am thankful that it was prevented before any further incidents. I hope my mistake will serve as a reminder to all: be very cautious of unknown reloads.

Go slow and be safe. :wavey:

ATK.

* Update: I got a hold of the fella. He explained that he had some equipment difficulties a while back. This is what he has to say "...a piece of foam from a powder can gasket stuck in my powder measure..." He thought he had gotten rid of the bad batch but apparently he missed some.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    Good catch! Someone up there was looking out for you.

I am almost OCD about reloads. I don't even like shooting my own loads and I really don't like having my family shoot them.

Richard

3. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    wow, that's a LOT of rounds to be missing powder and being over charged and he's an experienced loader???

Wonder if he's ever blown up any of his guns?

4. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Montanuh
    WTF?

Sounds unbelievable. He would've killed himself off long ago.

5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Do you realize the priceless entertainment value you've cost us by not shooting those rounds and having someone video tape the action?

Once again you've displayed that you think of no one but yourself... we all know that you were raised better than that. :whistling:

Jack

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    50% of the rounds he gave you were screwed up? I'm a rookie reloader and the most I've ever screwed up was 1 no-powder in a batch of about 1,000 that I turned out as quick as I could, for a class.

7. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Yeah, TG, my favorite! Add that to poor reloading technique & you are in Darwin's camp. Wise move listening to the little voice in the back of your head. I don't shoot other peoples reloads or sleep w/ prostitutes. No way of knowing what you are getting in either case.

8. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Feb 6, 2007
    S.E.Florida
    Very strange story...:upeyes:

9. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    by any chance, was this guys name Jack? :whistling:

Only kidding with ya GioaJack, since you kid with me. :supergrin:

10. atakawow

atakawow

Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, out of 50 rounds, 24 would-be squibs and, at the very least, one very, very overcharged round is disturbing.

I do not know this fella personally prior to the meet, but words of mouth from the local forum led me to believe in his expertise. Maybe that too was a mistake on my part.

About the validity of the story, the time/place might be slightly altered to protect the identity of the parties involved (GT WA members may know who the parties are). The results, however, are entirely correct.

11. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
    WoW is all I can say, Merry Christmas, You just got your gift. And a Seasoned reloader Seasoned by a Gallon of his favorite liquor....WTH

12. You really need to call that guy and tell him. I bet he has many others in the 'batch' that he loaded that session. You could save injury to him or others.

13. fx77

fx77 CLM

Nov 23, 2008
    Gee that might have broken the gun, and ruined your whole day
    Lucky U :)

14. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    Yep, something fishy. He tried to hurt you if this story is true.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I'd sure hope not.. but man. 16 grains of Titegroup? I'm not a TG guy, but I would have to think that would be very near the top of the case. That should have been a red flag to the loader.

Crazy.

16. HeliGlock

HeliGlock HeliGlock

Jan 16, 2011
    Florida
    All I can say is WOW. You got your Gift like what was said above.

17. atakawow

atakawow

Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Update: I got a hold of the fella. He explained that he had some equipment difficulties a while back. This is what he has to say "...a piece of foam from a powder can gasket stuck in my powder measure..." He thought he had gotten rid of the bad batch but apparently he missed some.

18. atakawow

atakawow

Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    It is a possibility, although I don't see a motive behind it. As stated, I've never met or spoke to the guy (except for the trade details) prior to the meet.

19. wuvmyglock

wuvmyglock

May 20, 2010
    The so-called "equipment failure" was in the upright mechanism between his shoulders.. He had what one could call "Recto-cranial Impaction" AKA: Head up his arse..