close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I still don't get all the 1911 HYPE

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by akapennypincher, Jul 6, 2009.

1. akapennypincher

akapennypincher
    Expand Collapse
    Glock-O-Holic

I have own several over the years, all in .45ACP. Yes they were fun to shoot. But honestly none work right out of the BOX and they were like a Classic Car Restoration, COSTLY.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Glocker1984

Glocker1984
    Expand Collapse

Everyone's experience is different.

My $450 Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical: 100% reliable right out of the box
    My $550 Almighty Glock 22: 2 FTF since I took it out of the box.

Yes, there are 1911's out there that have a few issues. You need new mags, the extractor needs tuned, or you need a different lb recoil spring. But if you fix what's broke, a 1911 will run forever.

For me, you can't find a better handgun that feels like a 1911. The grip angle, grip width, sight radius, trigger, and overall style is the best.

I carry a Glock 17 at work because that is what we're issued. But if I had a choice and I was allowed to carry anything I wanted; it would be a 1911 hands down. :wavey:

3. deMontacute

deMontacute
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Mine have been great. No problems. Maybe you need to buy better 1911s...

4. 1006

Expand Collapse

I just like the way they shoot and feel. All but one (Kimber Ultra) of mine needed work to run 100%. They are all production guns from Kimber, Colt, and S&W. I have never purchased a new Springfield. I still think they are the best shooting guns ever made, and mine are all 100% now.

5. Gdirty5

Gdirty5
    Expand Collapse

I agree that the newer polymer pistols are more reliable, but the 1911's shoot better, and have character. I like my XD, but i can't shoot it as accurately as my 1911. I'd trust my life to either, but if I were in a war, i'd pick the XD, b/c it'll run through whatever i put it up to...

6. pleaforwar

pleaforwar
    Expand Collapse

A XD over a 1911? I guess you would take a Mossberg 500 over a LWRC AR too huh? :ack:

To each their own I guess.

To the OP, Kimber is the only brand I know of that can have multiple hiccups out of the box, but a lot of handguns have issues like these, even newer polymer guns (Kahr comes to mind). If you don't get it by now, then you probably never will. To use your car analogy, some guys like corollas and some guys like a 69 Camaro SS. To each their own.

7. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD
    Expand Collapse

For me the handling, fine trigger and accuracy are worth a break in period. My .38 Super is at about 1K rounds now and is just a superb gun.

Like a late 60's muscle car, there just nothing else quite like it.

That said, my G-30 is my serious gun, like a modern SUV.

8. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+
    Expand Collapse

I've owned several 1911's and have had zero probs, from a lowly SAMCO cheapy that will outshoot alot of high dollar guns to a SA TRP. Never an issue period, my current new toy a Taurus PT1911 is a fantastic shooter and has had zero probs either. To be fair I've had the plastic god and I never had issue with any of them either but they lack, good ergonomics and soul. It's like comparing a 1970 440 Charger to the new "Hemi" charger, sure the new one runs good but it'll never be the car the original is...

9. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

I'm fussy when it comes to guns. I know what I like. I know what I don't. With the 1911, I can pick the length, width, height, weight, caliber, capacity, trigger reach, sights, and a long list of other specific parts and features that fit my hand and my own personal needs. Then I can spend as much as I feel I need to in order to get the fit, finish, and accuracy I want. Combine that with a proven military and law enforcement track record of reliability and durability going back nearly 100 years, and you have a pistol with a lot of appeal to me. Most importantly, this custom fit of the pistol to my needs gives me a sidearm that shoots and carries better for me than anything else. If there's a downside, I haven't found it yet.

10. BOGE

BOGE
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

The only thing a 1911 platform has head & shoulders above the others IMO is the ignition system. Nothing can beat it. You can come close, but you cannot duplicate it. Secondarily, it fits the hand well. If the 1911 had a trigger system like most other guns it would be a footnote by now IMO.

11. okie

okie
    Expand Collapse
    GT Mayor

The 1911 is the most accurate hand arm I have ever shot, and I have shot a butt load of different hand arms:thumbsup:

12. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

You guys need to realize that Pennypincher makes a good number of threads like this trolling for drama...... pull the hook out of your mouth boys.

13. Glock2336

Glock2336
    Expand Collapse
    Senor Member

If you don't get it, than why bother trying or posting about it???
    Different strokes...

14. gconan

gconan
    Expand Collapse

He did not say that. Perhaps you need to re-read his post?

15. pleaforwar

pleaforwar
    Expand Collapse

I need to re-read what he said? I think I'm not the one who needs a new set of reading glasses pal. I'll even highlight it for ya bud....

16. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

This.

I've had two that ran 100% / no break in required, and one that never ran right even after a thousand rounds (Kimber - sorry, okie!). Show me an auto loading pistol that is made by dozens of manufacturers and I'll show you one that puts out a turd. No reason to blame the platform.

I'm not sure you can call it "hype" after 98 years of service. Still improving too IMHO...

17. gconan

gconan
    Expand Collapse

Oh! Got my new pair on order, they have not arrived yet.

Sorry, I didn't read his whole post!

#17 gconan, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  18. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

To each their own.

Thankfully, I don't share your view or your experience.

19. kidglock22

kidglock22
    Expand Collapse

Sorry , all out of giv'a crap what you think .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFF0TbhgQMY&feature=channel

20. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

As someone mentioned, I believe he has started a thread or posted in this manner before. :dunno:

Everyone always has an agenda. :rofl: