close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I received my official letter, but the class date has been postponed!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by KiloBravo, Nov 7, 2011.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

I received my official letter stating that I haven been accepted into the next academy class for my dream agency! The problem is, they delayed the class from next week until January. In a way, it is nice because I will get one last birthday and holiday season at home with the family. I was just really looking forward to going this month though. I guess I have waited close to three years with this departments process already, so two more months won't really matter.

I look forward to starting this wonderful career soon enough! :wavey:

2. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    Congrats on making it in. Look at it this way, this gives you more time to get in shape for it. Just be careful on Christmas and your birthday.

3. That stinks but everything happens for a reason. Hang in there. When you consider that I waited three years to get in, an extra two months doesn't seem so bad.

January will be here before you know it.

Good luck!

4. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Welcome to government. Expect the next several decades to go much the same way or worse and you'll make it into a career.

5. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    This.

You'll find the concept of dream agency may change over the next 7.5 years as well. :wavey:

6. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the kind words. I will certainly be careful on my birthday and the holidays. I don't drink much anyway, and won't be going any place crazy. I certainly never drink and drive, so the plan is to play it straight up until, and even after graduation.

The biggest thing for me was getting the letter. It was nice to see that finally.

7. Again congrats.

Now you must realize, you will have to play it straight up for the next 25 years. Once you graduate the academy, your life has changed.

8. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Sir, yes Sir. I will do my absolute best to represent my department, and myself with the utmost pride and respect.

9. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

Jan 16, 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    Congratulations! You did it!

Don't sweat the January start date. This career is full of delays; new equipment will be delayed, court will be delayed, promotions will be delayed, training classes will be delayed....etc.

10. scottydl

scottydl

May 31, 2005
    The Middle
    Congrats! You made it through the big one, and now begins the next waiting game of MANY to come in this career. ;)

Nothing wrong with having goals and the whole "dream agency" idea, but do be careful about your expectations. You'll find there are lot of people in LE jobs that moan and complain for really stupid reasons, despite this amazing profession we have. Careful who you hang out with and don't be dragged down by the naysayers.

But again, well done.

11. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Thanks! :wavey: It is good to know that this setback is just preparing me for what is to come in the future then I suppose. :supergrin:

12. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Thanks so much! I hear you about the downers. I made up my mind before even applying for this career, that I would not let any of those types of people get to me. I spent the first part of my life being an angry young kid, and so I made a promise to myself long ago to try the find the positive in as much as possible.

13. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

PM inbound...

14. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Jul 15, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    Congrats, and definetly get used to waiting and waiting and waiting.

15. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

Aug 20, 2011
    On The Edge
    The delay stinks but look at it this way, by time the academy is over, the weather will be nice and you won't be humping calls in the snow, ice, and slush until the following winter.

16. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    That's not always a bad thing! Don't over-indulge on the Holiday feasts and make sure you maintain physical training regimen through the season.

January will be here faster than you think... Congratulations!!

17. blk69stang

blk69stang

Jan 10, 2011
    Arizona
    Use this extra time to train. Train your butt off. You want to be able to be the "PT Stud" of your class if possible, because if the physical part is easy then you don't have to stress about IT and can instead concentrate on your classwork. Also, study anything you know you'll have to learn ahead of time. Get a "leg up".

And my last advice, pay super close attention the first couple of weeks in class and ACE the first test or two. The reason I say this is that the first tests with the easier materials are worth the same as the last tests with the hardest stuff. If you can log some good test scores in the beginning, you'll have a nice "cushion" if your grades slip on the harder tests later on. Plus, it will give you a good "knowledge base" to build on, making learning the hard stuff that much easier.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  18. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

I really appreciate the support everybody. I hope to call you all my brothers one day soon. I wi for sure maintain discipline and keep running and working out. I have come far for a relapse.