close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I need some schooling...

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by SIGShooter, Feb 18, 2011.

1. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005
    Okay, here it is...

Gas block: clamp style or pinned

Noveske Switchblock: is it worth it or not? I will be running suppressed and unsuppressed.

Barrel and gas port erosion: is it more prevalent while using a sbr?

SBR and carbon fouling: is it more predominant, carbon build up, using a sbr as opposed to a standard length barrel? Which would go back to using the switch block from noveske.

Buffer spring assembly: do I need to be using a different style or weight while using a sbr and suppressor?

In regards to the sbr...it is going to be a MK18 built on a colt LE6920. I will be using the M4-2000 AAC suppressor

I appreciate any and all the help and advice you all have!

2. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I will refer you to m4carbine.net. You might find more in depth advise there.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

3. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005

I have been doing a ton of research there. I don't have the ability to get an account because I don't have a paid email account.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I dont think m4carbine required a paid account. I think thats arfcom. I dont have a paid account and am a member of m4carine.net.

Research is key. Itll save you a lot of money.

5. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005

Thanks for the heads up. I will try again tonight. I appreciate it!

6. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    silencertalk.com is a good resource as well

7. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005
    Thank you gentlemen!

I got an account at M4carbine. I will hopefully be able to post there soon.

I appreciate the heads up from you guys!

8. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    I'll suggest a NiB BCG for your surpressed set-up. As you know they are dirty as all get out, it will make your life a lot easier. If you don't want to spend that much at least go with a chromed one.

9. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    Pinned gas block for hard use. Short barrels/gas systems, coupled with cans, will always run harder and dirtier than longer, unsuppressed setups. A switchblock will ameliorate much of this, and is recommended.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

10. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005

I was thinking of doing the Fail Zero for my current BCG. I like the fact that Colt uses the FA BCG. Added weight helps from what I've researched. Plus, I don't have to purchase a new BCG.

11. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005

A lot of the searching I have done has yielded me a lot of clamp/set screw style gas blocks.

Do you have a recommendation for a specific pinned GB?

12. surf

surf

Jul 7, 2010
    There are options for set screw or clamped gas blocks, but pinned is always a more durable choice.

Very worth it and pretty much a given for suppressed SBR's.

In theory yes. How much a shooter actually notices such a thing is dependent on volume and rate of fire over time.

Carbon fouling in an SBR is more predominant in a suppressed system as the suppressor collects and holds gasses within the system causing various issues in regards to carbon. This is the short answer.

Maybe. I know that isn't a definitive answer but there are too many variables here to give a definitive answer. There are known combination's of barrel length, gas port sizing, ammo types, springs and buffer weights. But nothing is a guarantee.

Sounds like a great set up. I personally run a M4A1 MK18 10.3" that is not suppressed. Standard carbine spring and H buffer. Runs like a champ. Personally if I were going suppressed I wouldn't run a 10.3" MK18 barrel. I would probably look into a barrel in the 11.5" - 12.5" range as that length seems to be more suppressor friendly.

13. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I have a set screw type low-pro block on my Mk. 18 build. However, when the block was installed, the smith I use slightly dimpled the barrel under the screws, allowing the ends of the screws to set slightly into the barrel, then used a generous amount of high-heat loctite to set the screws well in place. It may not be QUITE as strong as a pinned block, but I bet it is damn close.

14. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005

Outstanding!

Thank you for the information!

I am still reading on M4carbine. There is a whole **** load of information there for all my wants and needs. I'm reading about 3-4 hours a night on stuff I thought I knew but figured out I didn't know **** about!

Let me throw this out to you&#8230;

MK18
    10.5" Barrel
    KAC Inconnel Flash Hider w/KAC Supressor

OR

AAC 51T Muzzle Break w/M4-2000
    Full Rail
    Low Pro Gas Block
    KAC Micro BUIS 300M
    Larue T1 Mount
    T1 Sight
    SOPMOD stock

Still not sure on the Noveske SB. I'm coming up with a 50-50 type of response in needing it or not. Those who use it love and those who don't use don't think it's needed.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  15. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL

You could just order a Noveke SBR upper and save yourself a headache. It'll be assembled correctly and youll save some money. And the KAC triple brake wont allow mounting of the M4-2000. And get the 51T brake not the flashhider. The brake will lessen the damage on the 1st blast baffle for being on such a short barrel.

H2 buffer

Switchblock

16. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  17. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005

$1315.00...I don't like Noveske that much to spend that kind of dough. A hundred and change, okay, but not that much.

I am aware that I cannot use the M4-2000 with the KAC Inconnel. That's why I listed the AAC 51T Muzzle Break. From the research I have done, the muzzle break is a great investment for preserving the can.