close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need help with the upper

Discussion in 'GATE AR-15 Forum' started by mmd, Apr 1, 2011.

1. mmd

mmd
    Expand Collapse

Hi

I have tryed a ar15 and got in love and i will now build my own but dont know what to buy.

I will use it in ipsc.
    Is it accurcy alot better with a 20" then a 16" barrel?

Is this good stuff or low price **** that will not last for long or/and will not shot any good

- 16" 4140 Chrome-Moly Steel, Lite Contour Barrel, 1-9 Twist, Chambered in 5.56x45mm - A2 Flash hider - A3 Forged Upper Receiver w/Teflon® Coating - GlacierGuards™ Handguards - Complete Bolt Carrier Group & Charging handle - Forged Front Sight Base w/Bayonet Lug

2. Constructor

Constructor
    Expand Collapse

IMO accuracy with a 20 is not better than a 16 just because of barrel length unless you plan to use iron sights.
    Sounds like run of the mill stuff without knowing what brand, 4140 steel is the softest and can wear out quicker than 4150 but, it is harder than stainless.
    "Glacierguards" sounds like DPMS to me, I'd look around a bit more JMO.

3. bustedknee

bustedknee
    Expand Collapse
    Curmudgeon

I have a theory that shorter barrels are more accurate because they are stiffer...

And in my opinion, the real beauty of the AR is the ability to change out any part if its not to your liking, including barrels.

#3 bustedknee, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  4. ironhead7544

ironhead7544
    Expand Collapse

Daniel Defense makes the good stuff. It depends on how much you want to spend.

Accuracy wise, it is the quality of the barrel. The advantage to the 20 inch barrel is a bit more velocity, if you need it. For serious purposes, you can use expanding bullets so velocity is not that important.

If I was just starting out, I would get the S&W. Once you learn a bit you will know what you want.

5. crockett

crockett
    Expand Collapse