close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need directions around Atlanta.

Discussion in 'The Georgia Club' started by Sudden, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Sudden

Sudden
    Expand Collapse

I hope it's OK to post this here. I'm driving to New Orleans. I plan to use a route from VA Beach to Atlanta. Is it better to go down I95 and across 20 to Atlanta or down I85?
    TIA, Pat

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. edrobert

edrobert
    Expand Collapse

Take 58 West to 85 South..........follow 85 South till you hit Atlanta. Have a safe trip!

3. thooks

thooks
    Expand Collapse

What time of day do you suppose you will be coming through hell?

Come down I-85, and don't hit I-285 if it is after 10 am and before 3 pm.

Heck, it really doesn't matter, all roads could be clear and there be a 5-car pileup 3 miles ahead of you and you will be shut down for 2 hours.

Seriously, I'd avoid southbound I-85 through ATL from 6:30 am til 9:30 am. If it's after 3 pm, you will hit some slow traffic (20 mph) on I-85 from the GA 400 merge, through the Brookwood split (where I-85 and I-75 join) to I-20. Then you are Westbound on I-20 in S L O W Traffic in the afternoon.

As I said, your best bet is to hit it between 10 and 2, or after 7 pm.

4. Sudden

Sudden
    Expand Collapse

LOL.

I told my wife that's the problem with going around Atlanta. I think my plan is to get by Atlanta the first day and get a room south of there. If I do it will for sure be after 7:00 pm. Thanks, that's GOOD information.

5. Sudden

Sudden
    Expand Collapse

Well it looks like Gustav has matched my plans and wants to reach New Orleans (Houma) the same time I do. If he doesn't change his plans I may have to change mine.

6. brazen_atl

brazen_atl
    Expand Collapse

Take I-95 to I-85, it is faster and easier.

7. Sudden

Sudden
    Expand Collapse

I'm putting off my trip for a while. I don't want to arrive in NOLA as everyone else is leaving. :) I'm was going to go through V. Beach but decided to avoid the bridge tunnel and go across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and through Richmond, taking I95 to I85.

8. thooks

thooks
    Expand Collapse

When I said " I'd avoid southbound I-85 through ATL from 6:30 am til 9:30 am.", I meant I-85 southbound, northeast of I-285, coming from South Carolina. It's a freaking mess there before 10 am.

Coming through about 7pm is probably the best bet. Be advised that the west part of I-20 is ROUGH. Get on out away from this place and find a decent hotel about 20 miles west of I-285. That or just keep driving to B'ham and stay in Oxford/Anniston, AL. It's built up there now, LOTS and LOTS of new retail.