close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I need a new dependable desk top

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by krab, Dec 14, 2008.

1. krab

krab CLM

Sep 29, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I would really appreciate a recommendation for a dependable desk top computer with as large a screen as possible on a $500-600 maximum budget.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana

3. 9jeeps

9jeeps

May 22, 2004
    PNW
    No DELL, They are propietory and you may have a pickle of a time getting service and parts if you don't live next door to a Dell Store.... FWIW!

Good luck

4. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    Don't Dell desktops have next business day service? They also have a pretty good parts department.

Most Dell service manuals are online.

I would certainly get another Dell.

5. podwich

podwich

Sep 7, 2000
    MI
    I thought they switched to using mostly standard stuff now. Is that not correct? I know they used to use non-standard pins on their power supplies and stuff.

6. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Jan 28, 2001
    I run a Dell Inspiron 8300 at home, an XP box. I've upgraded RAM, switched to SATA HD's (came with IDE), upgraded the AGP video card, installed an old floppy drive to install the said SATA drivers. All with standard non-Dell parts. This box is circa 2002'ish. Won't die.

+1 on refurbs at Dell Outlet.

7. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

May 22, 2003
    North Carolina
    I'd check your local compy shops first and see what they can build you in your price range.

8. krab

krab CLM

Sep 29, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Well to be truthful I presently own a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop and I'm waiting for a 4th motherboard and my warranty is up this next April.

I bought this one as a refurb and it has had too many problems so I don't think I will buy a Dell again.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Wow, I think thats the first experience I've ehard like that. Have they said why the MB keeps going out? For it to have happened so many times, there must be an underlying reason.

Checking with a local shop to see what they'd charge you to build one(or do it yourself). I'm not really a fan of any PC manufacturer, but am surprised you'ev had that many problems with your Dell..

IGF

10. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri

If that's true you have a right to ask/insist on a system exchange.

I would never buy a refurb laptop.

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I agree its certainly within his right to ask for an exchange, and I certainly would be going that route.. That just doesn't make sense.. I've read lots of good things about Dell refurbs, so I'm not sure what your animosity is towards them.

12. Before you buy anything, check on recalls for the ones you are considering. I'm a computer technician and I personally have worked with IBM, Gateway, Mandas and currently Dell. If you are going to use Microsoft as your OS, go for the cheapest dell with the highest warranty, trust me it will become obsolete before the warranty expires!. If you want a workhorse that will be used for the same purpose for several years, get an IBM with raid 4 SCSCI HD's and load Noppix or any other Linux OS. I have been running this last setup for over 10 years now and still runs faster than any of the latest Macs out there.