Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

I need a Myth Buster

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Gpruitt54, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Gpruitt54

Jul 18, 2012
    I am considering reloading. I ordered a Lyman Reloading Manual. I will be reloading 40S&W and 9MM for my Glock 27 and Glock 19.

I was talkin with a guy how told me that you cannot reload ammo fired from a Glock because the Glock chamber is made larger then normal. So, when the charge goes off the case expands to a point where you cannot get the case back to specs during the reloading process.

Bust this myth, if it is a myth. If this is true, that means only using new brass and never reloading fired brass, right??

Remember, I no nothing about reloading. I am still waiting for my reloading manual to arrive.

Bust this myth, please. Comments please!
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA

But you do have a problem. You say you're gonna load .40 for your Glock 21? That's a .45ACP gun. So you got something wrong going on there.

The *original* .40 caliber guns had less chamber "support", and those cases did bulge quite a bit. Glock changed that long ago, current .40 models are fine. But that long-since fixed problem still persists for the "experts" everywhere.

3. Gpruitt54

Jul 18, 2012
    I ment Glock 27.
  4. chemcmndr

Aug 23, 2008
    Beavercreek, OH
    If it's a myth, then I guess the last 10,000 rounds that I've fired through my Glocks were all in my mind...

I think what you were hearing was some concern a few years ago from the unsupported chamber in the .40 case causing bulging at the base of the case.
  5. Gpruitt54

Jul 18, 2012
    So, from what I hearing form you guys, this was an issue with the early 40S&W Glock models. But not with the current Gen 3 and Gen 4 versions.

Can I assume this is a total non-issue with the Glock 9mm models?
  6. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    I have a G23 Gen 3 from 2000 2001 that has never seen a factory round other than a few JHPs . All other rounds have been hard cast lead bullets out of a factory barrel. I checked all my 10mm rounds from G20 and G29 and couldnt find any smiley from those rounds either. I load for all my glocks with not issues, I have all gen 3 models legal for me to own in the USA.
  7. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    Talk to that guy about anything else but guns & ammo, pure BS. Not even the early GLocks. Keep your loads off the book max & you'll be fine reloading for the 40 in a GLock, any Glock.
  8. I remember once I wanted to buy some 124 grain 9mm LRN bullets from a reloading store and the lady there tore a strip off of me when I told her they were for a glock.

I never went back.

I'm amazed at the amount of misformation out there at times in the firearms world.
  9. dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Buy Lee 3pc carbide Die sets in .40 and 9mm, they size down further than some other sizing dies on the market. Not expensive either.

The older Glock .40 barrels were cut out more towards the feed ramp so the cases may bulge a decent amount. The newer .40 barrels are supported better. Nothing a good sizing die can not handle though. The guy should keep his trap shut because he is wrong.
  10. shakes

Dec 21, 2010
    Its has to do with the gen 1 and some gen 2.if you googel unsupported barrels or chambers for glock you will see a difference in lower part of barrel. As to reloading 40 cal, I run my brass threw a lee carbide full length sizing die with decapping unit and dont have a problem.
  11. Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    Myth. The chamber on my Gen 1 Glock 17 is a tad more generous than my 3rd or 4th Gen pistols. But, I've been reloading the brass from that pistol since 1988. No issues. It resizes just fine.
  12. El_Ron1

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta

itisbruno likes this.
  13. holey moley,,,,, I have a gen 2 mod 23 and always thought the same about not shooting reloads in the gun. So I don't shoot it,,, Now I can, all I need is a Lee die set and some Boolets.

Thanks for this thread :wavey:
  14. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I've loaded a few hundred thousand rounds without issue. Follow safety and protocol, you'll be fine.
  15. creophus

creophus Born Again

Mar 18, 2005
    Total myth. I've loaded thousands of rounds for my Glock 23 with never a single problem.
  16. unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    When I got my first Glock being a Glock 22 about 15 years ago. And since then had but sold 2 G, 22, G23, G27 and a G24 that is now a 9mm. I never had a problem with swollen case that I loaded. But when I first started there were some range pickup case’s that had a large and I do mean large bulge. But in the last 10 years or so I do not believe that I have found any range pickup with the bulge. The ones that I found went in the trash. You do not need a U or undersize die nor do you need a Lee or the Redding case buster. I bought the Redding just to see if it made any difference. But then when my G23 came in I gave it to the youngest boy for his birthday. I only loaded and shot about 30,000+ rounds of .40 and never had any problems.
  17. GoBoilers!

Feb 28, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I am new to reloading too and I had heard the same "rumors" about Glocks. Glad to hear the un-supported chamber is not the BIG issue the myths report it to be.

I have a follow-up question for you experienced Glock reloaders, if I may go off on a bit of tangent: What about lead in Glocks? Is it a problem in the hex-rifled (?) barrels, or whatever they call them? Or do you just need to be a bit more dilegent with cleaning or watch bullet hardness / speed to avoid leading?
  18. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good question,,, I'm new to 40 sw myself