Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

I need a Linux tutor.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gwalchmai, Jan 13, 2005.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I'm making the move, and it's going reasonably well. I have a lot of questions, though. I'm typing this in Firefox running on MEPIS that I installed on an older Dell notebook. Easiest OS install since DOS ;), I agree.

SO far I've installed MEPIS, KNOPPIX, and Red Hat on old PCs and they all work fine, I just have these little baby step questions that I can't figure out. Like:

How do I tell how much space is available on a drive?

How do I create a Linux domain that Windows PCs can work in? I can access my Windows domain using Samba, but eventually I'd like to have a Linux domain controller. (Good ways off, I know)

How do I share a directory?

Thanks. I'll have more later.

gwal, the Linux newbie. ;)
  2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    Hey gwalchmai;

As far as the available space goes, you're running KDE for a desktop, correct? Look in the Info Center.

A SAMBA server is one of the best ways - and in reality one of the ONLY ways - for Win9x or XP to share files and whatnot with Linux machines on a Linux-based network.

If you check out a Linux HDD that's slaved into a Windows machine, the drive is invisible to the M$-OS since it doesn't have a M$DOS-compliant file table installed.

For that reason I have a PC that serves three functions: Linux Stateful Firewall, DSL access point, and SAMBA fileserver on an encrypted and passworded separate drive not accessable to the SmoothWall OS that runs on it. It's just a box; no monitor, keyboard, ect...I use Debian to access and configure it across the network.

And as far a sharing a directory goes: where, how, and with what?;b

3. In Mepis you can right click on the /Home icon and and left click Properties.This will tell you free space in /Home which is normally your working space to store files.I highly recommend PCLinuxOS.It works great and is fairly easy to use.It runs as a live CD that is also installable to the hard drive.
  4. lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    good suggestions on the sharing bit and also the drive space if you are running or using a graphical interface like KDE or Gnome, also called GUI. If you at a command line you can type 'df' to get available drive space. If you can't read it you can type 'df -h' to make it human readable.
  5. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    Assume I have a Win2K domain, D, and I want to share a directory called S on my Linux box with the members of D.

Great answers so far, guys. Thanks!

Oh, how do I make Firefox my default browser? If I click on a link in an email, as in a GT notification, it opens the link in Mozilla. I'm using Mozilla Mail now, but I'll install T-Bird later.
  6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oct 7, 2002
    from command prompt: df
    or: df -h
  7. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Apr 14, 2004
    Mucus City, USA
    df -k

If the command is not being issued from the drive that you want to check, specifiy the path at the root of the target HDD;
    i.e., df -k /export/home

Samba on Leenuks can be a PDC to Windblows systems. You can find good guides online at,, and others. Find an online copy of David Lechnyr's "The Unofficial Samba HOWTO".

Samba also will share a *NIX directory to Windblows systems.
  8. bytelevel

Mar 9, 2003
    MS Gulf Coast
    In addition to getting some good books on basic linux administration, I suggest you search around for a Linux Users Group (LUG) in your area.

Google around and see if there's one nearby. A group meets 20 miles from me once a week in a Barnes & Nobles. I've only been once, but if I needed questions answered and couldn't find them on the web or in books, that's where I'd head.
  9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    This allows a Fedora Core 2 machine to become the PDC for WIN2K machines. I believe I have an XP machine around here that is also attached but I do not pay that close attention to the WIN side of the house. This allows a user to log on, see the "shared" directory, see their home directory and use the printer. You'll get errors with the netlogon so you can either create a script that goes where it points, ignore the errors or delete the block that mentions the netlogon. You must have the encrypted passwords on or you'll never connect ;f

interfaces= should be changed to your machine's IP address that the WIN machines can see.

# Global parameters
    passwd program = /bin/passwd %u
    pam password change = Yes
    domain master = True
    encrypt passwords = yes
    logon path = \\%N\%U\ntprofile
    bind interfaces only = Yes
    preferred master = True
    logon script = logon.cmd
    interfaces =
    passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd: *all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
    domain logons = Yes
    workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
    max log size = 1000
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    netbios name = WINPDCSMB
    logon drive = H:
    os level = 40
    logon home = \\homeserver\%u

path = /etc/samba/netlogon
    write list = myuser

path = /usr/local/sharedstuff
    writable = yes