close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I need a cheap, truck rifle.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by frank4570, Feb 16, 2012.

1. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    We again have dog problems. 2 of the neighbors had their dogs attacked by dog on the loose.
    So I would like a functional gun to throw in the back of the truck, or lean up against the front door. I thought one of the cheap break action handi-rifles was going to be perfect. But it seems they have a lot of problems.
    I looked at getting rifle barrel and stock for my Contender frame, but it seems a new rifle would be cheaper.

Any suggestions?

2. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Local ordinance(s) on shooting in/near residential area(s)?????

Suggestions:

Air rifle.
    Used, bolt action .22lr that's capable of using 22 short or 22 CB.

Be prepared for the impending litigation or questioning by the Poh-Leeeeese.

3. Filhar

Filhar

Jul 22, 2007
    So Wi
    Go to Rossiusa.com and look at the Ranch Hand

4. Farmalljon

Farmalljon

Feb 19, 2010
    .223 is an exellent "anti-dog" round, so any of the AR-15 rifles equiped with a red dot sight would be ideal. If an AR is too pricey, than a Ruger mini 14 is a great, less expensive choice. And if you want to go even cheaper than that, pick up a used SKS somewhere, and put a red dot sight on that. 7.62 x 39 out of an SKS is great for dogs too. The SKS is the least accurate of the three, but it should hold 4" groups at 100yds, which is plenty accurate for what you want to do. Note that all three of my choices are semi-autos. You mentioned some single shot choices. IMO, single shot rifles do not make good choices for protection against dog attacks. The dog could be running at you, or another animal that it wishes to harm, and fast follow up shots are must in these situations. While other action styles beat the hell out of no gun, i really feel semi auto is the way to go here. Anyone else agree or disagree?

5. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Jun 26, 2001
    SE AZ
    While you are there, look at their lever action rifles. 10 rounds of .38sp or .357mag in a fast lever action would be fine.

6. Id use a short shotgun(meaning short LEGAL length) some buckshot,or even BB or T shot is gonna put a hurt into something. maybe a Rem870 or one of those new Savage models. If it had to be a rifle I guess id pick a lever-action something like a 30/30 ....better yet if your not really hunting with it go for the model that shoots .357 mag or .38 special...thats nothing to sneeze at out of a rifle barrel.

but id still go Pump shotgun if I had your situation.

and the only thing I use a single shot gun for is hunting stuff thats not gonna either attack,run at me,or im gonna eat for food..ive got a handi rifle its a good woodchuck,deer,squirrel gun..but the last thing id pick up in your situation.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    We are out in the country. Animal control tells to just shoot problem dogs. We've killed a few of them.

8. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    You guys have made realize I have options I hadn't thought of. I have a couple ruger 1022s. Not really sure if I like such a small caliber though. I have a bolt 22 mag. And I have an 870, might prefer more range than the shotty. I have a AR-15 but I don't want people to see it in my truck, just too tempting to steal it.
    I have the Saiga .308 box fed..not so expensive. It's a lot of gun though.

9. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    It's sad to see what living in New England can do to someone's whole mentality about guns. Now, I do choose to shoot stray dogs with a BB gun, but not because I'm afraid of someone calling the sheriff's department or what they would say if someone did.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    It's a forum about 90% full of suburban types - "liberal" by shooters' standards - who got their first gun in the last few years. Nothing surprises me here.

OP - for a truck gun for your use, I'd go find a .44 mag or .357 mag lever action Winchester, Marlin or Henry.

11. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    I had absolutely not considered a lever gun at all. But it does make a lot of sense.

12. 1gewehr

1gewehr

Mar 22, 2006
    Mid TN
    Get a Mosin-Nagant 91/30. About $100 bucks, cheap ammo, virtually indestructible, and can be used to butt-stroke if shooting is not called for.

13. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    USA
    If you want cheap, go pawnshopping for a good, used .22 rifle.

14. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    USA
    I bought a used "Plainsman" rifle produced by CVA sometime back in the 1970s. It's a percussion muzzle loading rifle made for shooting patched round ball. I got a nice tight cloverleaf at 50yds with it. It only cost me $100 at a local pawnshop.

I know that few here would choose a muzzleloading rifle for anything, but it will kill feral dogs just fine. One can keep it in their truck and if it gets stolen, well it's not something the average thief will be able to use for armed robbery. So no worries about it being used for robbery or murders. A thief will likely try to sell it for dope money.

15. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    Many coyotes have met their end complements of the 22 mag.

AR by the door in the house, bolt 22 mag in the truck, & you're covered for zero money out the door.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  16. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Aug 18, 2010
    TX
  17. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    That's a pretty good plan. It makes a lot of sense.