close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I know why unemployment is so high.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DaneA, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Thanks LBJ!

2. guns54

guns54 toni

How right you are.They dont want to work.

3. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

If Texas secedes from the Union, can we make them take their Texan LBJ's legislation with them?:tongueout:

4. G-19

G-19

Maybe, just maybe you are not offering enough in the wage department to attract more qualified applicants.

5. DaneA

DaneA

Maybe, just maybe pay hasn't been advertised. And just possibly I start people higher than most of the retailers in the area.

6. Kevin108

Kevin108 file_id.diz

In today's economy, I call that a good job.

7. muscogee

muscogee

How does one get a job without experience? How does one get experience without a job?

8. devildog2067

devildog2067

By applying for jobs that don't require experience.
    By volunteering, or doing unpaid internships, or any of a thousand other ways to get a foot in the door.

9. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Start at the bottom as a trainee and work your way up.

10. G-19

G-19

Then it must be something else. With so many people out of work, I just can't see a business not having an abundance of qualified applicants. Unless there was a problem with the job. Like you said it is a cashiers position, not a high skilled labor position. It don't take much to qualify to be a cashier. So finding qualified applicants should be easy. Heck, most high school kids could do it.

However, If you have a reputation of firing people or for being a tyrant it could drive the better applicants to look for a more secure job or a place with better working conditions. A lot of people would rather take a little less money for better working conditions or job security. Word of mouth travels fast and far.

You might want to take a look at your competitors and see how they operate and what kind of employees they attract. If they seem to be getting better employees, then ask yourself "What are they doing that I am not?" Then work to correct those areas.

I am not trying to insult you, really I'm not. But instead of just saying there are no qualified workers out there maybe you should consider why no qualified workers want to work for you. Just because you hang a "help wanted sign" don't mean people will flock to you. You have to give them a reason to want to work for you.

Sometimes the problem is not with everyone else.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  11. G-19

G-19

Did you ever find a cashier?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  12. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Where I live companies import workers by the bus load because they can't find enuf

13. dwhite53

dwhite53

My wife and I have a theory that most of the people layed off over the past 4 years where "dead weight". People that just weren't worth keeping around.

Everyone tells me it's very difficult to find GOOD help.

So that's what's out there.

All the Best,
    D. White

14. DaneA

DaneA

Yes, I hired two last week. It took about 100 applications or more. Part of my issues is that I'm very picky. Over the last 3-4 years I have maintained a 85%+ retention rate (employees that last more than a year).

My previous boss and I used to have many discussions on this same topic. I agree that many businesses used the cover of a bad economy to shed dead weight.

15. JerryVO

JerryVO

I totally agree with the concept behind this thread even if I am late to the game. I have been trying to fill 2 $35,000 a year no experience needed we will train you positions for months now and I can't find anyone worth a second look. All I ask for is common sense, self motivation, and the ability to learn. Some of my recent winners are:

Me: so do you have any questions for me?
    Applicant: My wife did not give me any to ask

Me: So are you interested in the position I discribed
    A: it sounts like too much work to me
    (It is a desk job)

Me: What are you looking for in a job
    A: To sit back and collect a paycheck

Me: Tell me about (ring)
    A: Hello (answers her phone)

I really think companies used the economy as a cover to cut dead weght. Not everyone out there is horrible, just most of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

16. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

Companies have been doing that for decades. Hire too many people and then weed out the dead weight. Seems like a pretty effective way to promote productivity by competing employees wanting to keep their jobs knowing someone is getting the axe at any moment.

17. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apparently there are at least two out there:

Most car dealerships will hire you to sell cars if you have a pulse and a driver's license.

There, that's two ideas. Anything else you want to whine about?

18. DaneA

DaneA

I think I've interviewed the same people.

What's the job you are interviewing for? If someone could do the work of the 2 people would you pay them $70k? :supergrin:

I did interview a guy once that about 20 minutes after the interview ended his mom called and said "Don't hire him, he's a drug dealer"
    (wasn't going to hire him anyway)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

That's a very expensive way to go about things. I doubt most successful companies employ that tactic.

What happens is, when the economy is robust and growing the labor pool gets tight and quality of candidates goes down. Once hired and trained there are sunk costs to consider (recruiting, training). A "good enough" employee might not be worth firing when labor is in tight supply but he might not be the guy you'd choose again.

Then when the economy cools headcount needs to shrink and/or the labor pool improves and the company's options are different.

I've watched the oil business expand and contract several times and I'm watching my own industry deal with Obamacare. Though there are certainly some innocent casualties along the way, generally speaking strong horses get retained and the weaker one's get cut loose.

Then, when hiring starts again companies trade employees before they dip into the UE pool because everyone knows that the UE pool often contains less desirable employees.

20. pugman

pugman

CF beat me to it...

This is the highly inefficient and expensive way to do it - I like to call it the Call Center Hiring Methodology.

For years I helped interview candidates or went to job fairs - sorting out the chaff was surprisingly simple. First and foremost look at how resumes came across our collective desks - misspelled words, 5 jobs in 6 years, an complete lack of creativity, etc. I had one resume come across on Blaze Orange paper which guaranteed we would read it; we interviewed him but didn't hire him simply because his skill set (once flushed out in an interview) didn't match what we really needed. However, we did recommend him to another area which ended up hiring him - he has been with us six years.

If you want to promote productivity simply listen to employees and grant them reasonable requests which offer solutions and not problems. Case in Point: I, along with my entire department, telecommute two days a week. We used to have one day.

During the summer of 2008 when gas was the highest its ever been I wrote the proposal for the second day - I quoted all the usual stuff like monetary savings for the employee and company, environmental impact, a better balance of work and life, etc. Productivity across the board increased by nearly 30%.

For example, in my case, I drive 50 miles one way to work - whether I'm in a car or in front of a computer doesn't matter to me so directly the company got an extra 2-3 hours a week out of me (we are salaried). I fight weather, traffic and accidents nearly every day.

Some people (those who get Mondays) commonly log in Sunday afternoons for a few hours to take care of a lot of housekeeping stuff: answer emails, load/unload files, review documents, etc.

Now if they would only give us the other three days...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012