Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

I know it's been asked before but...

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by coleslaw, Jun 30, 2012.

1. coleslaw

Jun 14, 2011
    Do I really need a rifle? My bug out firearm is my handgun, but I brought a Rem 870 12 gauge for if things really get bad now everyone tells me I need a rifle. Look I'm just a civilian trying to be prepared, I'm not looking to be a one man army because I know that's a good way to get myself killed, I'm not thinking about zombie invasions... Ok maybe I do think about zombie invasions lol... I just want to be prepared to feed, hydrate and protect myself and my family if I ever have one. So what is it guys? Do I need to drop the money on the rifle, training, ammo and accesories or is my 12 gauge and handgun combo suffecient enough for any or atleast most situations?

I need some help so I'll take anyone's opinion no matter what you say. I just want to know if I'm not doing enough for my protection and survival when it comes to firearms.
  2. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.

3. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA
    Sounds like somebody needs to go buy a mosin nagant...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  4. DaScotsman

DaScotsman D-FENS

May 23, 2007
    KC, MO
    If you want to use a handgun and a shotgun to protect your family and property, you don't need a rifle. . . . . . . until you're defending against someone who has a rifle.

Handguns and shotguns are great... but anyone with any skill can make your life pretty miserable with a simple 10/22 from 100 yards away, well beyond the realistic effective range of your other weapons.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  5. IF you believe there will come a time when you will need to defend your self and loved ones. (and why else would you be in S&P...)

Then yes, you need a rifle. I won't go with the "100 yard threat" scenario, because, at 100 yards I have taken several deer with both a pistol and a shotgun. But it takes practice, and most people can't hit a man sized target at that range, but some can, maybe even you.

But, a decent rifle makes it easier to hit at that distance, and more importantly, beyond, it delivers more energy on target, holds more ammo, and is quicker to reload. (all of the above are not absolutes, but generalizations)

Most everybody I have ever read, or talked to about it, supports and can give solid explanation of why, pistol, rifle, shotgun.
  6. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    A pistol and a concealed carry permit is 99 percent of what I think that we will need for a sudden change in the economy like what we are going to see (Greece). A shotgun is always a nice home defense weapon but a pistol will run off the kind of trash that will be your problem too.

That said if things get worse than that and the other guy has a rifle and you don't have a rifle he owns you. Cancel all plans to travel, go outside of your house, or open your windows or whatever covers them. You are a sitting duck with no way to fight back, you probably won't survive this one with a rifle anyway unless you run. I really don't see this as a likely scenario in the U.S. myself but you may wish to prepare for it like any other.
  7. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Sep 2, 1999
    Do you need one? Probably not. Do you need fire insurance for your house? Probably not. But it's nice to have if you do.

IMHO, if you are going to go down the road(figuratively not literally) that you may need a handgun or shotgun after a social collapse, then a rifle is also needed.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  8. There is only one correct answer to the question

"Should I purchase another firearm?"

Answer is always YES
  9. RMTactical

RMTactical CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I believe everyman should own a rifle. Even if it is just a Mosin or something, although you can do much better than that.
  10. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

Dec 29, 1998
    NC USA
    I think FatBoy and RMTactical sum it up best. If you are a gun guy, get a rifle. If not but still consider your preps important, then the purchase of a rifle should go on your list in the order of importance you give it. Also keep in mind that most high quality guns are an investment and will be worth more than you pay for them some day. Overall I don't think it is that big a deal, do what feels comfortable to you. Good luck.
  11. ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    And if you get a rifle, find and attend an Appleseed to get some good, basic instruction on marksmanship.....
  12. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

There it is.

A handgun is likely sufficient to defend your life and property. To defend your liberty, you need a rifle.

If push comes to shove, sell the shotgun. Buy a rifle, the best you can painfully afford. Train as often as you can.
  13. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    I'd agree with both of these; and fact is I'm a rifle/carbine guy a whole lot more than a shotgun guy.

Greece/Argentina/NOLA, handgun is by far the most important imo. As far as "need", I'd say a good handgun & 870 is more than capable for probably 99% of what any of us as civilians are likely to encounter.

That said, if you currently owned a rifle but no shotgun and asked "do I need a shotgun", my answer would be the same. Good to have, I wouldn't want to be without it, but I wouldn't list it as a genuine "need". Especially if there are other things that might be a higher priority - food & water type things especially would take a much higher priority for me personally given your current firearms. If you're in your comfort zone for food, water & such, then a rifle or carbine (from a mosin to an AR) would be great to have in addition to those life-essential basics; but not instead of those life-essential basics.
  14. Travelin' Jack

Travelin' Jack Misinformed

Jul 20, 2007
    0 .· ` ' / ·. 200
    I think this logic is kind of silly. What if he has a rifle but the hypothetical enemy has mortars or shoulder fired rockets? What if they have light armored LAV's and he only has a pickup truck? You have to draw the line somewhere and I think a long range shoot out is fairly unrealistic.

I think a shotgun and a side arm is a fine combination. Shotguns are both powerful and versatile.

I'd still want a rifle because I like rifles. Need? I don't think so.
  15. RMTactical

RMTactical CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    That is quite a step up going from rifle to mortars and rockets, at least when you are talking civvies.

A rifle is VERY common. rockets, mortars, LAV's, are not...
  16. Travelin' Jack

Travelin' Jack Misinformed

Jul 20, 2007
    0 .· ` ' / ·. 200
    They are quite common. Are long range rifle battles between civilians very common?

Further, I'm assuming that if someone outside of shotgun and pistol range saw me and decided to kill me with a rifle, I'll probably be dead before I can get my rifle, take cover and return fire. If I really have time to pull that off without getting killed, I could probably have just fled or positioned myself so that I couldn't be shot at that range and waited the attacker out with my shotgun.
  17. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004

And i will go on to ask a question:
    How often do you take your shotgun to the rang and shoot slugs and buckshot?
    How much do those slugs and buck cost?
    How beat up do you feel at the end of a 100+ round session?

Wouldn't you prefer to have a little 22lr to practice with?
    Doesn't a day plinking with an SKS or AR or AK sound better than a day shooting slugs?

I was a shotgun man for SHTF, but after a long day at the range shooting slugs and buck, i decided that IF i ever have to defend myself at 100+ yards and have time to select my tool, it will not be my shotgun. My shotgun is the tool i use when i dont know what is going to happen and hunting.
  18. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I have always felt that no matter what threat you are trying to mitigate, you cant cover every possibility. You really just paint yourself in a corner when you over intellectualize what should be a very basic consideration.

I would imagine that there are plenty of situations where you could find yourself in the middle of a crisis or disaster and need a means to protect yourself. Most consider a pistol to be plenty for 50yards or less and if it were me, my Survival plans would be designed around those limitations. A shotgun adds a very nice bonus. :supergrin:

To answer your question.. It sounds like you are doing just fine.
  19. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008
    If you can afford one (and you can get one, esp. used, for very decent prices) then get one. It opens up your options a bit when SHTF. If SHTF before you do, you are probably still in pretty good shape with a decent pistol and and 870.
  20. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    If you feel comfortable with a SG and pistol, go with that. Just do yourself a favor and get some good training from qualified instructors on their use.

With that being said, Some like myself like a rifle such as an AR-15 to better our odds tactically. As time goes on you my feel the same. But whatever you choose, TRAIN, TRAIN, and TRAIN some more! :supergrin:
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012