close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I know I know, I am a dumb ass!!!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by BIGGUNS911, Mar 1, 2013.

1. BIGGUNS911

BIGGUNS911
    Expand Collapse

The story:

Went to the range today with my Colt combat commander lightweight. I took a small bag of ammo with me, IDK where I got the ammo. As I pulled rounds I came across a few 40’s and a 9MM along with the 45 ACP’s. You see where this is going don’t you.

So yes I got a 40 in the mag with my 45 ACP rounds. Shot a few rounds and heard a strange report from the gun. Some of my rounds were reloads so I suspected it was a light load. Next thing I know I press the trigger and nothing. I tap and attempt to rack and the slide is stuck.:faint:

I take it to the bench and after some work I get the round out and sure as hell it’s a 40. Looking over the gun I notice the firing pin block is gone and the firing pin is stuck forward. I strip the gun and, there goes the firing pin with spring flying out. I attempted to find the block but no luck.:shocked:

So what do you think happened, other than me being a dumb ass? :dunno:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Not quite sure what happened. Wouldn't say you are a DA.
    Would say you may have gotten very damn lucky

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

What did the case look like?

4. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

You're lucky you weren't hurt in some way, The 40S&W operates at a much higher pressure than the 45ACP.

Do you have pics?

5. itstime

itstime
    Expand Collapse

Bac beat me to it. You are lucky.

6. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

My dad did the same thing in a Kimber UCII. Four rounds all told, no damage to the gun at all. It cycled and fired all the rounds. The brass was mushroomed for lack of a better term.

You are not a DA, just made a mistake is all.

7. BIGGUNS911

BIGGUNS911
    Expand Collapse

Odd as it is the front formed to the shape of the chamber, the rear looked the same but the primer was missing.

8. BIGGUNS911

BIGGUNS911
    Expand Collapse

Rely not much to see, the firing pin retaining plate was just missing and the round looks like you would think it would. I did not take pics before I took the gun down. It sounds much worse than it was.

9. BIGGUNS911

BIGGUNS911
    Expand Collapse

Well I believe I will purchase the replacement part $9.99, from Brownells and get it back to work. Gun looks to be OK with not other broken, bent or missing parts. We will see if it goes back together as it should. :wavey:

10. okie

okie
    Expand Collapse
    GT Mayor

I'm thankful you didn't get hurt my friend:phew:

11. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt
    Expand Collapse
    Enslaved in IL

Not really a danger in that way. Without the chamber snug around the round for the case to seal too there is actually a lack of pressure. It cant build up because the case expands and ruptures. If the bullet made 300fps out the barrel I would be extremely surprised.

12. Lowjiber

Lowjiber
    Expand Collapse

This sounds nuts, but it's true.

I was at the range last summer firing a 1911. A buddy of mine approached with a WWB labeled .40S&W. He had just bought it at WallyWorld before coming to the range.

It contained two trays (50rds each) of .45ACP. He didn't think he could return it, and I bought it for $20.

#12 Lowjiber, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  13. BIGGUNS911

BIGGUNS911
    Expand Collapse

I have been thinking over the issue and I suspect I know what broke the firing pin block. I suspect the round was lose in the chamber and when it went off it slammed back into the firing pin. This possibly pushed the pin back very fast and hard. When the pin came back it hit the block and cracked it in half. I don't know this positively but it's the best I can come up with.

14. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash
    Expand Collapse

I saw someone do the same thing with a Sig 1911, except the .40 didn't fire. The guy did a tap rack, causing a .45 to push the .40 into the barrel. When he fired it caused the barrel to explode.

15. 1006

Expand Collapse

I think the firing pin retainer and firing pin were separate issues from them bullet.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. southernshooter

southernshooter
    Expand Collapse

I had the same thing happen with my Sig 220. I was shooting G27 at the same time and I guess one of the .40's rolled over onto the .45 side. Loaded it in the 220's mag, it went off, knocked the mag out of the gun. I examined the gun under an microscope afterwards and there was no damage. I was lucky also.
    The .40 case tried to swell to fit the .45 chamber but split open in the process.

17. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Next time something sounds strange... take a look, reloads or not.

Loading a .40 was a mistake. Pulling the trigger after something sounded weird is a DA thing to do.

Had it been a squib, you'd be telling a different story right now and posting pics of your new stitches and blown-up gun.

18. jakebrake

jakebrake
    Expand Collapse
    cracker

safe to say you dodged a bullet. and probably a few parts.

a mixed bag of ammo is not a wise idea. when in doubt, sort it out. none of us want to see that happen to you, or anyone else.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

I shot a 9mm in a .40SW P229 too. Too many damn guns and ammo too close together. That was the last time I had guns with so similar ammo dimensions next to each other.

20. arnold ziffle

arnold ziffle
    Expand Collapse
    aka dingle

the pressure will be less but it will work itself back around the case and either to into the firing pin hole or more often down the feed ramp and into the magazine.