close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I just got my 30sf repaired back from Smyrna. Trigger bar info!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WarEagle32, Jun 13, 2012.

1. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Mar 15, 2011
    Alabama
    I have owned 9 Glocks. I currently own 4 so I am a GSSF Glock man. I have never sent any pistol back to Smyrna for any reason. I had several FTFs and a whole lot of brass in my face for the first time in over 15 years of Glock shooting. I thought it might be the trigger bar. However, the 4256-1 that it came with I was sure they would change but they didn't. I was expecting for it to return with a 4256-1- but it did not and came back with the original -1. I haven't got a chance to give it a dance but I will shortly. I know several of you were wondering which bar mine would come back with and I was surprised because there was no explanation to what they did to the gun. I got it late this evening so I will call them tomm to find out what the problem was.

2. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Sep 24, 2008
    East Coast

3. gbpanther41

gbpanther41

May 9, 2012
    Salina, KS
    Very interesting. I am having problems with mine and have been in contact with Glock the past 3-5 days. They want me to ship mine in and I would have except for the price they want to charge me for a gun that is not even a month old yet. My buddies has the -1- trigger bar and the one at Cabela's in Wichita today was a -1- trigger bar. Glock however assures me that the -1- bar is discontinued and I have the most up to date trigger bar in the -1 even though my buddies with a test fire date of 3/12 and the one in Cabela's with a 5/12 date both had -1-. My Glock was test fired 2/12 and is the -1. I went with Glock for their reputation and am very very discouraged by all of this. Wish that I would have went the route of a G30 instead of the 30SF. I even had a guy offer me $450 for my gun but hate to let it go being not even a month old for $130 less than I paid for it.

4. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Mar 15, 2011
    Alabama
    I wouldn't sell it. They will make it right. This is my 9th Glock and I've had not a peep of trouble from any of them!! If you tell Glock on the phone that's it's a new pistol they will pay the shipping both ways as they should. This just let's me know that the -1 trigger bar is the factory spec bar used. I made that clear in my enclosed note. I will run it hard Friday and post results!

5. Noponer

Noponer

Apr 5, 2006
    North Georgia
    I just traded for a new G-30sf last weekend. It has a casing test date of 4/12, but has the -1 bar. I have not fired the gun, but the slide passes the "hold vertical & release slide slowly" test OK. It goes right into battery. I believe the -1- was a temporary work-around.

However, when I put a G-21 smooth trigger bar in the G-30sf, it kept hanging up when the bar got to the safety. I polished the safety (I have several on hand) & it helped only slightly... still hangs up a little. Remember, though, that the gun has not been fired to smooth up everything. I doubt that I would have any real problems during actual firing.

I guess I will never know, though; I don't plan to fire it so I can sell or trade it as "never fired". I can't get used to the SF frame on the G-30. I have a non-SF that I love & want to get another or maybe a Gen4.

6. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Jan 3, 2012
    NW Ohio
    The New Gen4 30 will have just about the same size grip as the SF model wiht no backstraps installed, from all the info Ive read about them... I love my 30SF, had had no issues with mine at all, and it has the same trigger bar as the OP... have almost 1500 rounds downrange with it....

7. tacmc6

tacmc6

Nov 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I am having the same problem with my gen 3 G21. It has the plain trigger bar without the -1. It will not go into battery when doing the RSA test( holding it straight up and releasing slowly). It will hang up out of battery. I have already changed to a new RSA but did not help. Maybe I need to try the -1 trigger bar----do you think so?

8. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Jun 20, 2010
    Texas
    The latest revision of the Glock Parts Order Form (Rev 50) now shows the part number associated with the 4256-1- trigger bar is DISCONTINUED and the part number for the 4256-1 trigger bar with grooved trigger (previously marked discontinued) has been reinstated as the standard factory trigger bar for the G30-G30SF.

Either the 4256-1- trigger bar was a temporary measure to address a problem that has since been corrected (most likely), or modifications have been incorporated in the current version of the 4256-1 trigger bar. It's confusing, but those are the facts in the document the factory emailed to me from Smyrna on 6/4/2012.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  9. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Jun 20, 2010
    Texas
    tacmc6, are you experiencing a FTRTB with your Gen3 G21 during normal firing or just in the RSA Field Inspection Test you described above? The reason I ask is because it's not uncommon for the G21 and G20, with their heavier slides, to fail the RSA Field Inspection Test even with a new RSA. This is what I've been told by Glock, Inc. personnel in the Armorer Course and at the Glock factory.

Incidentally, the OP is describing an issue surrounding the differences between the 4256-1 and 4256-1- (note trailing dash) trigger bars with grooved trigger for the G30-G30SF. To my knowledge, the 4256-1- trigger bar has never been suggested by Glock, Inc. for use in the G21-G21SF. The standard for the G21-G21SF-G21Gen4 is 4256-1 with smooth trigger face (Part No. SP04417).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  10. tacmc6

tacmc6

Nov 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes, I am having this issue with the RSA field inspection. I did not realize this could be normal with a G21. I do believe the part number on my trigger bar is 4256 (no -1 visible). Should I upgrade to the -1? My G21 ser # is GKWxxx series, I believe made around 09/2004. THANKS

11. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Jun 20, 2010
    Texas
    It's worth a call to Glock in Smyrna, GA to find out what they recommend in your case (770-432-1202). However, if the pistol is operating normally at the range, there is no rush IMHO.

12. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    When you are doing this "RSA test" are you doing it with a full magazine inserted in the pistol or an empty pistol ?
    Looks like if it would ever fail to do into battery , it would do so with a full one .

13. dpadams6

dpadams6

Jan 5, 2010
    How confusing. I had a problem with my 29 where I had light primer strike and slightly off center. Glock sent me the 4256 -1- and it seemed to correct the problem.

14. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Jun 20, 2010
    Texas
    For reference, this is the description of the RSA Field Inspection Test quoted from the Glock Armorer's Manual (©Glock 2009, Pg 63):
    3. Recoil Spring/Guide Rod Assembly

The recoil spring should be strong enough to move the slide forward reliably to chamber cartridges even if the pistol is somewhat dirty, dry or the ammunition is not perfect. With an unloaded pistol, point it 45° upwards and pull the trigger. While holding the trigger back, pull the slide to the rear and release it very slowly. The recoil spring should be able to push the slide completely forward and fully into battery. This test verifies that the recoil spring is strong enough to chamber ammunition despite less than ideal circumstances.

[GRT45 class notes from May, 2011 Armorer's Course: The G21 and G20 pistols, with their heavier slides, are known to sometimes fail this test even with a new RSA.]

15. Noponer

Noponer

Apr 5, 2006
    North Georgia
    Yeah, that's true... but you have 2 backstraps to add! :supergrin:

I will have to get hold of one to feel, but I would probably add the smallest back strap. I had a Gen4 G19 & it felt good with the largest backstrap - but that pushed my hand too high. I have a tendency to get slide burn & that made it a definite thing. :crying:

16. linkscoach

linkscoach SFC OIFIII OEFX

Aug 12, 2011
    Central Kansas
    I have a 30SF and I have had a few failure to return to battery instances but it isn't a constant problem. It seems like sometimes while firing that the slide is slow to return to battery. It's kind of hard to explain but it just feels off to me. I've fired a lot of handguns and never experienced anything like that.

Could it be related to the above problem?

Second question as I'm still confused, loaded magazine in the pistol for the return to battery test or no magazine?