Glock Talk banner

I just got an amazing deal on a true classic! :):)

8K views 58 replies 28 participants last post by  SigFTW 
#1 · (Edited)
This morning is went to visit a couple local shops that I haven't been to in a couple weeks. I wasn't looking to pick up anything.

The second shop I stopped in generally has the best deals on used handguns around, but they rarely have anything that truly interests me. Today was different. Sitting there in the used case was a blued Smith & Wesson 39. What first struck me was the like new condition of the metal, grips, and finish in general. The next thing I realized was the huge extractor and the small hole in the hammer, which meant it was an early model (It was sitting right side up, so I couldn't see the model # or serial #). After that, I looked at the price and just couldn't believe it. Here was a no dash M39 in like new condition for $339.

Needless to say, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. Apparently, it just came in the night before and was priced and put in the case by one of the evening employees. Whoever priced it cost the shop at least $150. I see no dash M39s routinely going for over $500 on GB even without the box.

At any rate, I just bought my first 39 over the summer, which was a still NIB -2 nickel model. As much as I love it, it did not fill my desire for a classic blued 39 and finding an early no dash model in this condition is icing on the cake. The price I paid makes it truly remarkable. After tax and everything, it cost me $365 out the door! This certainly helps me feel better about dropping almost $4K on two Browning Hi-Powers in August.

Anyway, enough rambling. Please enjoy the pics. I'll take some better pics when I have better lighting. These will have to do for now.

No, its not the steel framed model. :embarassed: They sell for a $2-$3,000.

By the way, could any of you S&W gurus tell me what year it was produced based on the serial number that I never try to hide? I'm thinking it was closer to the end of the run of the no dash models, maybe early to mid 1960's?

Thanks for any help and, as always, please let me know what you think. This pistol is in awesome shape. :cool:

See less See more
#27 ·
Pretty gun.

IIRC my first OJT trainer participated in the AF trials for those. Not sure exactly what -#. He liked the gun, I think he bought one when he got out to go home and work for the Indiana State Police.
IIRC the ISP were the first "big" LE agency to adopt the 39

#36 ·
:rofl:

I've actually thought seriously about changing my background to something completely different. However, I've been using the carpet for so long that its almost like a signature for me.

Every once in a while I'll see someone use a similar background and/or use the same angles for their pics. I'm very flattered whenever I see that sort of thing. :)

:rofl:

You don't know how many times I've thought about getting a cut of a similar shade carpet, and about 15 highpoints to do a layout and post under "BAC's arsenal unveild"

#39 ·
Dam that's one fantastic looking piece! Congratulations! :cool:

I'd really like to know what gun shops you go to. The places I frequent don't ever have that nice of stuff! You seem to always have all the luck! :supergrin:

#41 ·
Beautiful as always Bac. With all the "black" semis these days, I love seeing blued pistols and revolvers. They bring me back. Thanks for sharing. And great photos as always!

#45 ·
Bac apparently S&W didnt have a good set of records from 1954-1970. 1954 starts with 1001 and in 1970 the last serial is 115000. This is from the standard catalog of smith and wesson. Sorry I couldn't date it exactly. Very nice shooter you have.

I do have one question though, do you have to update the PA National Guard every time you move so they know the location of their new armory?

#46 ·
Another great find! Very nice looking.

#48 ·
Bac...you would know this one: Wasn't there a S&W semi target pistol that shot .38 wad cutters of all things back in the day?.....or am I making tha up?

#49 ·
Bac...you would know this one: Wasn't there a S&W semi target pistol that shot .38 wad cutters of all things back in the day?.....or am I making tha up?
Nope. It existed for bullseye shooting. Never got my hands on one IIRC it was the "52". I am probably wrong on the number, it's been years since I hear them mentioned

#50 ·
Yes, the 52. I'm mobile right now, but I'll post some pics later tonight.

I think the 52 may have been the finest auto S&W ever built. It's just not practical for anything other than target practice and bullseye competition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.