I have old man eyes.

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by jb1911, Apr 11, 2012.

1. I read on the Decot

website that a prescription that is about 1/2 of your normal reading glasses prescription would be about right for pistol shooting. If your normal correction is +2.00 then try +1.50. In other words you want something that focuses a bit further out than your front sight leaving it in a slight blur. They speak of accomodation, or our ability to focus (in my case strain) your eyes beyond our normal range.

I haven't gone to my eye doctor to get a pair yet but I'm going to have to. I went shooting the other day and while I was doing ok on the paper targets, the steel plates were a struggle.:faint: I was more in zen mode not looking or rather not seeing the front sight. I'm going to have to try some of these other options such as the tru-glos.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I'm 56 and at the trifocal stage. The internet has many low cost options for glasses to try things out. $25 will go a long ways just to experiment-I use Zenni Optical. I went in to my Walmart optometrist last time and asked him about seeing my front sight better. He had me stick out my arms to hold my "gun" and measured from my eyes to the end of my pointing finger and then gave me a prescription to that point. He says he does this for golfers that want to see the ball on the tee better. Then all I do is order glasses that have the distance correction for my left eye and the front sight correction for my right (right hand/dominant). My brain somehow translates all this and gives me both a fairly clear target and sight picture. It's just a mix and match of prescriptions. I've played around with contacts to do this, too. It gets pretty complicated when I try to get some bifocals to work in this scenario. "Monovision" is really common for laser surgery. All this said, these won't be the glasses on my nightstand for the middle of the night response. Maybe if I didn't leave them in the range bag...

No avatars, no smileys, no pithy quote-just plain me.

3. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Old Pirate

I like the new Trijicon HD sights with the orange front sight outline with no outline on the rear sight, part# GL101O. Put a set on my G17 Gen4 and will get another set to replace the old Mepro's on my G23 Gen2. Getting old ain't for sissies... :supergrin:

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Works for me also...:wow:
  5. I have Heine, Slant Pros, all black, it's a tall sight and it works for me, I'm 60 too
  6. I'm going to have to look into this, I'm 50 and use TFO Tru Glo's on most of my Glocks they help pretty well.
  7. Great thread. I'm in my early 50s and starting to have some of these issues. I've been using trifocals and moving my head to different positions to get a good sight and target picture. There are some great ideas here and I'm going to try a few of them out.
  8. Truglo TFO all the way...
  9. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Occupational lenses (i.e. trifocals) with the top part set at +1 for arms-length focus.

Works for me, for any sights.
  10. Nobody would say that a 24" ruler is the same as a 12" ruler however when it comes to optics people say that they are the same all the time. Measure the distance from your shooting eye to your front sight when fully extended. Divide that in to 40.
    Example : say it measures 30"s. 40/30 =1.3 so a + 1.25 reader will give you very good focus on your front sight. However it will blurr your distance. Now if you you are nearsighted -1.25 diopters then you are already in focus at about 30"s tell me what your distance correction with your shooting eye is and I can tell you the power that will work for you.
    Doug Orlob
  11. shotgunred

shotgunred reloading nut

I hate bifocals. For shootimg I get my distance correction only.
  12. I love my xs big dot sights on my glock 19. The big dot is impossible not to see.
  13. +1...!!
    Its whats on mine...:supergrin:
  14. Samey-same problem jb.
    'Just last night installed a set of the BigDots on my 23 and am going down to dial them in this morning.
    They seem to help me acquire more quickly.
    If you hear whimperin' from this direction you'll know that even sights just this side'a braille couldn't help me.
    Good luck.
  15. Here is the setup I am currently going with on my G26. There are great for carry and self defense. Easy and quick to pick up. These are not "target" sights, you just line it up and shoot. At night the dots in the rear light up, so works in all conditions. I have similar old eyes and can pick these up even without glasses on. If I take my glasses off, I cannot even see what I'm typing.

16. Take a look at "Milpro Occluder sight on Utube" He has chosen to use the green fiber. It's not a night sight yet but you can still see the sights in the evening when it's too dark to see a target.
  17. gator378

gator378 Gator378

65 and welcome to club. I finally had to relent and get a red dot for the Glock. Could not see the standard sights very good anymore. The red dot made a big difference.
  18. Old eyes just loose the ability to change focus. It has been a problem for ever. There are many ways to solve this problem but you need to have a good Optician to help you. It usually means a compromise.
    Some were between the front sight and target you have to come to a compromise.
    It can be done but it takes patients and good communication.
  19. RRP

I have no patience as a patient. :supergrin:
  20. Same problem. Over 40 eye disease. If I'm wearing my contacts so that I can see at a distance, I can't see up close and get a clear front sight picture. Went to a Trijicon RMR. I don't know why, but I can see the dot just fine. Shooting is awesome.