Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

I have finally come to my senses....

Discussion in 'Civil Liberties Issues' started by DanaT, May 20, 2011.

1. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I have finally come to my senses....

Contempt of cop is law enforcement jargon in the United States for behavior by citizens towards law enforcement officers that the officers perceive as disrespectful or insufficiently deferential to their authority. The phrase is associated with arbitrary arrest and detention and is often discussed in connection to police misconduct such as use of excessive force or even police brutality as a reaction to disrespectful behavior rather than for any legitimate law enforcement purpose.

Arrests for "contempt of cop" may stem from a type of "occupational arrogance" when a police officer thinks he or she should not be challenged or questioned. From such officers' perspective, "contempt of cop" may involve perceived or actual challenges to their authority, including a lack of deference (such as by asserting one's constitutional rights), disobeying instructions, or expressing interest in filing a complaint against the officer. Flight from the police is sometimes considered a variant of "contempt of cop". "Contempt of cop" situations may be exacerbated if other officers witness the allegedly contemptuous behavior.

"Criminologists and civil rights lawyers see similarities in many police beating incidents. The triggering offenses are typically minor, but the officer often perceives a challenge to authority and acts to regain control."

"After a jury sided Friday with a woman who had sued Washington police officers for arresting her after she publicly criticized them, attorney Jeffrey Skinner of Goodwin Procter said he hopes the verdict will prompt a full investigation into the extent of "contempt-of-cop" arrests in the city.

The jury found the city and two officers who arrested Huthnance liable for $97,500 in damages for false arrest, emotional distress and a slew of constitutional violations committed in the course of her arrest and imprisonment; a third officer was not found liable. In addition to charges stemming directly from the arrest, she also charged the city with failing to properly train officers and take steps to stop unlawful “contempt-of-cop” arrests."

2. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    odd then that there is no change in your posting.

it is still the same anti authority, anti cop, rubbish based on your opinions rather than facts or reality.
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Oh no. I am not anti-authority. I am anti cops who have attitudes that cops are above the citizens and seem to forget that they work for the people at the will of the people. The authority lies in the people. We don't report to police; police report to us.

I support police that do their job in a manner that is respectful of the citizens and perform their duties in a professional manner which in my mind includes knowing the laws they are enforcing.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  4. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

"No other depositories of powerhave ever yet been found, which did not end in converting to their own profit the earnings of those committed to their charge." Thomas Jefferson

"No government can continue good, but under the control of the people." --Thomas Jefferson

"If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges and Governors, shall all become wolves. It seems to be the law of our general nature, in spite of individual exceptions." --Thomas Jefferson

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" --Thomas Jefferson

"The will of the people... is the only legitimate foundation of any government." --Thomas Jefferson

I guess I can be called all sorts of names by LEO. Maybe my views are even "Un-American?"

5. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the govered,...

No-where do I read... "that all men, except police officers and other government officials, are created equall"

6. USAFE7

USAFE7 Retired USAF-SP

Feb 5, 2011
    Interesting......are you by chance a member of the sovereign citizen movement?
  7. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
  8. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    Good eye.
  9. Grammy

Grammy Infidel

Jul 8, 2010
    Texas, where else?
    Miss something? Sovereign citizens respect no authority appointed over them.

10. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    The pre-edited version was more telling.
  11. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Never heard of it.

Is there a problem with how the Declaration of Independence is written that seems so offensive? Maybe the 4th of July should be cancelled because we no longer believe in the tenants of such an old document that doesn’t fit in modern time?

Or maybe its Thomas Jefferson that is offensive? Maybe it’s the fact that he was the third president that is offensive? Maybe it’s his participation in being one of the lead authors in the Declaration of Independence that is offensive? Maybe it’s just that two dollar bills and nickels are offensive.

12. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

The un-edited version was this. I then added to it.

"Oh no. I am not anti-authority. I am anti cops who have attitudes that cops are above the citizens and seem to forget that they work for the people at the will of the people. The authority lies in the people. We don't report to police; police report to us."

Also, explain that it was put into context of another comment...

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Well, that's a theory - the problem happens when you try to support it with facts.

Oops, what happened? An unjustified arrest made the guy about $100,000. Now think about it a minute - how often do you hear about this happening. Even if the unjustified arrest really happened like it played out in court, if this was a common event all out ghettos and college campuses would be full of rich people and all of our cities would have to disband their police departments from paying out the judgment.

Fact is, it is a rare event and when it happens the police do police their own and officers get fired, prosecuted, sued, etc.
  14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

How many times is acceptable for a rare event to happen?

15. S16N4L

Feb 20, 2005
    Police misconduct and brutality is hardly a rare event. It happens almost daily on a national scale. It also seems to be increasing in frequency and severity.
  16. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Numbers, stats, sources?
  17. While I agree that there are bad cops, I would argue that it is directly proportional to the makeup of the general population. The way we hear about stuff has changed dramatically compared to the mid-nineties. Think about it. In '95, if my Glock had an issue, I would go to the LGS, smith, or call Glock to get it fixed. A couple of buddies might hear my story. Now I can broadcast my experience to thousands across the world easily.

I think that much of our perceived doom is caused due to the ability of the Internet to communicate quickly to a large audience.
  18. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
  19. VAPA-Rick

Jul 30, 2012
    Good thread. Kinda surprised there aren't more threads in this forum. I wonder why that is?

Contempt of Cop is a real phenomenon. It's something I call the bouncer mentality. Give any person, cop or otherwise, a little bit of authority, and if they're the insecure type (as most people are), they will abuse it.

That's why we need to make sure we're hiring servants who are secure. It's an extraordinary job, and it requires extraordinary folks to do it.

We have a long way to go.