close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I have a DSL issue

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gwalchmai, Aug 18, 2005.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai
    Expand Collapse
    Lucky Member

I can't reach my office from my house. Anymore. I could fine until last night, but now I can't. I can get pretty much anywhere else, and I can reach my office through an anonymizer (web proxy) service, but I just can't reach my office.

I have BellSouth DSL at home and we have a BellSouth T1 at work. It appears that I'm having trouble getting to Bellsouth IPs.

A tracert from my house goes through ten hops and then stops.
    In fact, a tracert to anything times out on the first hop, but then eventually works for most sites. I have no problem getting to GT.

Tomorrow I guess I'll call BellSouth and have my patience tried. ;)

Any ideas?

2. srhoades

srhoades
    Expand Collapse

How were you connecting to your office? Maybe your work starting blocking everything but port 80.

3. funbob

funbob
    Expand Collapse
    do a lil' dance

But he can still get in through a proxy. My guess is that all the connections to the office from his IP prompted the concern of someone who didn't know it was legitimate use and they blocked it.

4. gwalchmai

gwalchmai
    Expand Collapse
    Lucky Member

srhoades - I can connect to most sites from my house, but not to my office IP. Also, my coworkers can still access work OK from their houses.

funbob - there weren't that many connects from my house. I usually just use it to check mail on my server at work and to copy files occassionally. I have far more connections from my house to GT. No, I'm not blocking anything at work (well, nothing I don't want to, anyway ;)) Besides, I never get anywhere near my firewall at work. The trace stops way before that.

I wrote up a nice email to BellSouth last night explaining the problem, and including a tracert capture. They sent me back a form letter reply this morning telling me to call their tech support number (bastages!).