close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I Have a Bear Problem

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Shoeless, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

We own a house in the mountains of western North Carolina. For the first six months, we discovered that the bears would raid our outdoor trash cans every weekend we came up. Trash strewn EVERYWHERE, the cans would end up God knows where, etc. Every. Single. Weekend.

Then I made these kickass bearproof trash cans out of hazmat drums with screw-on tops and for the past 3.5 years we've successfully kept bears OUT of our garbage with these cans. I chained them to a tree so they couldn't haul them of and the top of each can screws on and has a rubber gasket inside to seal the smells in.

The bears came and tried to get into the cans... they bit holes in the lids, but were deterred by the fact that they can't get into the cans because the lids don't pop off when squeezed. It worked GREAT!

That is, UNTIL THIS SUMMER. I had made two of these wonderful garbage cans and when we arrived at the mountain house yesterday we found one of the cans is just GONE (the chain was broken). The other can is literally chewed open across a portion of the top of the lid, as if someone took a giant can opener to it. So apparently the bears have started playing hardball. (These are black bears)

We are about to spring for a $230, 95-gallon bear-proof can to be shipped from Florida (which we will chain down with MUCH heavier gauge chain this time) however in addition, I would like to rig up some sort of other deterrent too.

I'm thinking that a motion sensor light that makes a sharp sudden loud noise might also discourage them them from messing with the NEW cans. Anyone have any other ideas for a second layer of deterrent? Bear in mind it has to work on its own because we aren't here most of the time, and we also have rental guests who frequently rent the house. I am open to ideas!

Yours in extreme exasperation and frustration,

Shoeless

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

You need a Yeti to keep your trash in. LOL. (Certified bear-proof.)

Or, you just need to kill and eat them.

I vote the latter.

(Bear is yummy!) :supergrin:

3. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Oh Silver you are always SO HELPFUL!! :rofl:

Shoe

4. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

Second vote for a Vacation at the house during bear season and kill them and eat them.
    The direct approach is so satisfying.

Mrs.Cicero

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Shoesie honey -- I aim to please.

Wanna loan it out to me for an extended weekend? I'll take care of that problem for ya, and even have my little buddy Colt (3.7 now) fall in love with bear meat.

I'll even pack some home in one of my Yeti's.

I wonder if Colt or Ami would taste the irony of it all? :dunno::supergrin:

ETA: I'll bring my own linens/firearms and make sure to vacuume before I leave. Of course, I'll leave a check on the counter for electricity/water. :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  6. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

You are sweet to offer. However you'll have to slay a mother bear AND her three sweet baby cubs. And then whatever OTHER bears might be around. It may take more than a weekend... ;-)

Shoe

7. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

open carry a 10mm, it would prevent this.

besides that I have no idea about what to do, besides get a license and eat it. Hopefully there is only one.

8. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

The little ones will be more tender and fit on the Weber a tad better. I can do them like stream trout -- gut 'em and put 'em on the grill with their heads on. I've seen where folks burn on the hair in the wild, but I think I'd probably skin the poor ole cubs.

"...more than a weekend"? No problem -- that's why I said extended weekend.

I've got my NC fishing license, and can always upgrade to the hunting part, too. :whistling:

9. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

What's the best handgun for bear country?

:whistling:

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

My guess is that any can made of plastic really isn't going to be bear proof but maybe there are some plastics that the bears really don't like. I might check with others in the area and see what type of trash can they use (or what they do with the trash to reduce the problem.) I also wonder if some sort of enclosure with a roof for a basic trash can maybe made of chain link fence would be less expensive but functional. $230 just seems pricey to me for something that will hold trash.

11. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Are there any bear repelants you could use? Maybe motion activated to spray?
    I have relatives in AK. They have a fish site cabin. Bear moved in and made a total mess. They were cleaning it out and bear came back. They were so ticked they didn't think to have gun handy.
    I told them I would not go there without a gun.

12. Ragnar

Ragnar

I would submit that packing out your trash when you leave is the best and simplest solution.

13. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

I'd check with fish and wildlife ta see what they suggest.What part of WNC? we live in Buncombe county.'08.

14. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Hey Monica, good to see you posting again!

I am pretty sure that bears will get in to about anything given enough time. The only real way to keep them out is to not have anything they want. Can you have your guest burn the trash? I don't think lights or sound will keep them away for long. They will become more bold and they will start to see that having people around will mean having food around. Make sure that the guest don't feed them.

15. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

A couple of those big cans of bear spray, painted with bacon grease and mixed into the trash, might leave a bad taste in their mouths.

After a couple times, they might leave that certain trash can alone.

16. mdmountainman

mdmountainman

A simple electric fence will likely get the job done. They are used quite a bit out west and in Alaska.

You can make your own or buy one pre-made.

http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm

All you really need is an energizer
    Small batteries:
    http://www.havahart.com/store/animal-repellents/ss-2lgx

or
    Larger batteries:
    http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/produ...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CL3kjsqY8rECFUJo4Aod3TUAVA

some poly electric wire

some insulated or plastic or wooden fence posts.

and a ground rod (rebar will work)

17. Dave.1

Dave.1

Bears come thru my yard most days. Has probably been a path of theirs for a very long time.

I have one of those plastic dumpster thing with wheels. I strap the lid down front to back, side to side. I also have a very long spiral stake (not the dog kind, they're too weak) anchored in the ground with a coated steel cable and lock.

Every week or so the bears will come by and give it a wack and when it doesn't open they move on. The difference is that I'm here all the time. If I didn't flip my light on and make noise they would get it open sooner or later.

If you're not going to be there when they come around, don't have food or garbage there. They want what's in the trash but they also won't waste much time on a loosing proposition and will learn to leave your area alone. It may take a while for them to learn.

Dave

18. srhoades

srhoades

Stop by the store and by a couple of huge Salmon, them chuck then onto to your nearest neighbors property. That will keep them away from you.

19. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Ok, I can't answer everyone individually but you've all raised good points and questions so I'll do my best.

1. We can't burn. So that's out. Good thought though! :)

2. We will be taking our own trash back to Atlanta this weekend since our trash can is pretty much useless at the moment. I can't ask rental guests to take their garbage with them when they check out.

3. Most guests check out on Sundays when the local dumps/transfer stations are closed so that's not really even a viable option.

4. We are the only ones on the mountain who have a bear issue because our home is off the main road. We get no car traffic, no humans unless we're here or a guest is here, no street lights and our house is in about an acre clearing but surrounded by undeveloped land which is all wooded.

Still thinking about all your suggestions...

Thank you!

Shoeless

20. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Where my grandmother lived, there had a bear problem. The thing is, when they get too comfortable with humans (like these bears appear to be), there will eventually be a bear human conflict where the human gets hurt and then the bear gets put down.

I would talk to the local game control people. They may have some better options, but I think this is a capture and deport, or shoot them situation.

After these particular bears are gone, get a big heavy STEEL trashcan/dumpster thing with a bar that makes it easy for people to get access and impossible for the biggest bears to get access. These usually require 2 hands to operate.