close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I hate Windows XP!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by cassandra, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cassandra

cassandra
    Expand Collapse

The tech where I work got me in the habit of manually clearing out all my cookies and temp files. It's easy because there I have Windows 2000 Pro and can find them in my documents and setting folder.

So I'm trying to do the same thing at home where I've (supposedly) got XP Pro on my PC and XP Home on my laptop. I can't tell the difference between them even though I paid $100 for the Pro for my Dell PC. I can't find any cookies folder and not the same kind of temp internet files folder either. Even my Internet Explorer doesn't seem to have a delete cookies function like the older versions did.

So I found the "show hidden folders" function and still couldn't find cookies. What is up with this?

I deleted cookies using Firefox but does that help with all cookies or just Firefox-related files? Lots of things are running slow, Wordpress edits not saving and I'm wondering if it's a cache problem of some sort.

Is Vista any better or does it also treat the user like a moron? I'm beginning to miss good ol' DOS.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 cassandra, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. d3athp3nguin

d3athp3nguin
    Expand Collapse

The typical way to delete temporary files & cookies in XP:

-In the taskbar, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. After a bit, it will give you a bunch of checkboxes for things to clean up.

-From there, you can check whatever you want to "purge." I would recommend you NOT select the option "Compress old files." It doesn't help that much, and could make more problems than it would solve. Everything else is fair game.

NEXT... defrag your hard drive. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter. When it loads, select the C: drive and click "defragment." Now go watch some tv, eat dinner etc because it will probably take a while, and it will make your computer slow as molassas while running. There is no harm in cancelling if need be though.

There is a way to delete cookies within Internet Explorer, but it changes depending on the version you have and the above method lets you clean out other stuff too. Unless you're pressed for space, you shouldn't have to clean temporary stuff very often. I can understand doing it a lot for privacy issues though.

In the latest version of Firefox, you can select Tools > Clear Private Data...
    That lets you delete all Firefox stuff.

#2 d3athp3nguin, Sep 28, 2008
  3. corpseal

corpseal
    Expand Collapse

I suggest you google "CCcleaner"- download it, install and run it. You can thank me later.

4. cassandra

cassandra
    Expand Collapse

THanks for reminding me what I left out. My Accessories folder has NO System Tools! :dunno:

5. cassandra

cassandra
    Expand Collapse

Ya know, I realize these downloads exist. But I really would like to know where things are and how to do it myself the way I can at work. I don't understand why XP has to make this so hard.

Is it just more of Bill Gates' oversteering?

6. d3athp3nguin

d3athp3nguin
    Expand Collapse

Hmm...

Were you the one who set up your accounts originally in XP? If you aren't running as an "administrator," you might not be able to access the system tools.

7. Big Al 24

Big Al 24
    Expand Collapse

Download Glary Utilities. It's a great, free program that does a bunch of house cleaning for you. I would stick with Firefox when you can and make sure it's set up to clean house when you're done surfing- Go to Tools > Options > Privacy tab > then check "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox"

Oh yeah (DUH) here's the link to Glary Utilities: http://www.glarysoft.com/gu.html

#7 Big Al 24, Sep 28, 2008
  8. wbgolden

wbgolden
    Expand Collapse

9. cassandra

cassandra
    Expand Collapse

sorry, I went back to edit to say i found it. Swear I couldn't find sys tools several times before, like it comes and goes.

I don't see that post now. I just wish I could look at the entire file tree and just take care of things myself. I've always hated the "my documents" and "my this" and "my that" business too, esp since you have go to folder mode and back up to C and start over just to see where things really are..but that's Windows for ya.

Need to vent, obviously...

:steamed:

10. Tinamil

Tinamil
    Expand Collapse

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

That's the default location for Internet Explorer cookies if you want to find them in a directory structure.

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Embrace your inner penguin... :)

IGF

12. RevDerb

RevDerb
    Expand Collapse

If you hate XP, you will absolutely DESPISE Vista!

13. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Member
    CLM

Not just a moron but also a thief and an illegal alien.

I hate to sound like a Leenuks pimp but if you liked DOS and were comfortable with command line stuff, you might want to give one of the *NIX OSs a whirl. Even MACs are built on Darwin UNIX.

14. Notrega

Notrega
    Expand Collapse

+1000000 on that...

15. Thirties

Thirties
    Expand Collapse

In your control panel, click on "Internet Options" to clear cookies & cache from Internet Explorer. In Firefox, you use the "tools" pull-down and choose "Options".

Computers require constant learning by the user. They are not electric toasters, unfortunately.

16. silentpoet

silentpoet
    Expand Collapse

www.mozilla.org

With firefox you can pick and choose which cookies to delete. Not to mention less security holes than the piece of **** Microsoft calls a browser.

17. Toyman

Toyman
    Expand Collapse

18. cassandra

cassandra
    Expand Collapse

I downloaded this, and now I get systool opening up in startup. When I tried to take it out using msconfig, I get a message saying someone screwed with msconfig! It wouldn't go away until I put it back in.

:crying:

19. grokdesigns

grokdesigns
    Expand Collapse

I second this. I run CCleaner on every Windows computer I have, as well as keeping the portable version on my USB drive.

20. JMag

JMag
    Expand Collapse

Yep, beat me to it! It's free!