Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

I hate viri

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by havensal, Dec 2, 2008.

1. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

Aug 14, 2003
    Western, NY
    If I ever find someone that has ever written a virus I will torture them to for days. :steamed: The jail time would be worth it. :rofl:

I just found the toughest trojan I have ever seen.

A coworker brought in his PC and told me he got "Antivirus 2009". He tried to get rid of it, but IE was still redirecting him constantly.

I did some research and found what I needed to fix it. Unfortunately whoever wrote this thing knew what could kill it. I tried everything to install and run the programs. The only way I could get them to work was to rename the .exe. :shocked:

I have never heard of such a thing.

Scans are running as I type, we'll see if I can tackle it.

Would have been much easier to reformat and reinstall, but I like a Challenge. :supergrin:
  2. kalashluvr

Aug 26, 2008
    yep...this one is a booger. Not many things will remove it...I reloaded one that had it because I just got tired of fooling with it.

3. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!

It's only funny because I am currently in the process of recovering my wife's notebook from one of the Downloader Trojans...

Let's hear it for good backups... So far only 2 hours into it, and the restore from backup is about to begin.

Viruses DO SUCK! and so do their authors!!!
  4. IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Oh how I miss the days of daily virus scans, spyware scans, updating antivirus, updating spyware software, daily security updates, etc.. :)

Hope you get it worked out.

5. srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    If you are trying to run combofix and the program is detecting it, just rename combofix. I've done this before.
  6. d3athp3nguin

Aug 7, 2007
    Yes, last virus that ravaged my machine was 5 years ago... that's when I started dabbling in Linux. Never looked back since.

Newer versions of trojans that I encountered while doing tech support were virtually impossible to recover from, because they would compromise a system so thoroughly. Reformatting was simply necessary for some variants, because no antivirus client could remove them without bombing the whole OS.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  7. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Sep 7, 2001
    Kokomo Indiana
    I've been lucky lately, zero viri.

I credit that luck to doing all my dirty work and going to all the bad places in Virtual Machines.

I've had a couple of instances where I deleted the Virtual Machine's disk and started over when things got a little hinky.