close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I got "delayed" while buying an AR..

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by RyanBDawg, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bought a Mossberg MMR Tactical at Larry's Pistol and Pawn in Huntsville. This is the first gun I have personally bought under my own name. My driver's license and CCW permit are in Tennessee. I got delayed and have been waiting for a day now.. Of course I have no felonies, stalking charges, etc..

How long should this take? Anyone else ever get delayed while buying?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I believe it's 3 business days. If they don't call back with a deny in that time, you're clear. Most likely it's because your name is the same (or similar) to a denied individual, and they are making sure you are who you say you are. Providing your SSN can help in situations like that.

3. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

Feb 22, 2002
    Delayed you say?

hmmmm Maybe it has something to do with it "being the first gun I have personally bought under my own name".

Whos name did you use when you bought guns in the past?

4. Uhh, this is the first gun I have ever bought. My glock was given to me by a family member.

5. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    I was delayed once for a few minutes because the gunshop was really busy, probably not relevant...

6. The shop was super busy as well. I actually overheard some other people getting delayed as well. Perhaps it has something to do with the sheer volume of background checks that have been processed in the past two weeks...

Needless to say, I am sort of annoyed that I have to wait..

To bad I didn't buy one in TN. I'm pretty sure my carry permit would serve as my background check.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  7. AtlantaR6

AtlantaR6

Jul 29, 2004
    Seriously, you probably won't even be mad at the person in 2 more days.

8. auto-5

auto-5

Nov 13, 2011

Um No

9. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I know of two coworkers whom get delayed every time they buy a firearm. After a couple of days, they pick up their purchase.

One told me, he might start putting down his social security number to see if it makes a difference. So much for it only being an income tax ID number. I bet people in the past never thought your whole life would revolve around these assigned government numbers. :whistling:

10. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

Jan 25, 2007
    Alabama
    Larry's is always busy. Was their inventory wiped out?

11. jhooten

jhooten NRA Life Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Central Texas.
    Call center over loaded.
    Computer problems.
    No available agent to review.

Just a few reasons not related to your history that can cause a delay.

12. Nope. They have a couple full racks of ARs, several racks of AKs, etc..

They just got more ARs in today. M&Ps, DTIs, Mossbergs, and a few other brands that I can't recall.

They are strictly limiting how many AR style rifles, ammo, and magazines you can buy.

Since I bought a rifle from them they let me buy some mags for 20$. I think they were limiting those to one per customer unless you bought a rifle.

13. Nope.

14. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Jan 2, 2000
    I thought you could only buy firearms in the state you live in. No? Someone explain, please? I know private sales (without FFL) are limited to in-state. FFLs aren't?

15. Not with long guns.

Only handguns require you to buy in the state where your ID is from.

Unless you live in one of those anti guns states like NJ or California..

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  16. Tippyman

Tippyman

Sep 12, 2010
    I live in VA and get delayed EVERY time I buy a gun. It's usually 1-3 hrs, not days.

17. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Take this as a sign. Tell them nevermind and to keep that thing. I've seen 2 on the range and both were malfunction machines.

18. I shot it before I bought it. Worked fine.

19. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Mar 15, 2011
    Alabama
    I've shopped at Larrys for years. Great store. I think getting delayed there is pretty common. I got delayed for about a week buying my first AK there. The salesman talked like it was a regular event there. Never had the problem on any gun anywhere else and I have purchased nearly 50 guns in my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.