close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I Finally Got a Black Rifle...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by zackwatt, Sep 24, 2012.

1. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    Thanks! And yes, nothing but quality for me! :supergrin:

I have seen many reviews, some people love them and some hate 'em. I used one last week and it worked flawlessly. I'm just not sure if I want to get a conversion or go with a dedicated upper...

2. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Texas

3. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    My vote is a dedicated upper.

4. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Feb 10, 2005
    Deer Park, Texas
    Congratulations!! I made that move a couple of years ago and I still can't keep my hands off it. But put me in the group with the guys that leave it stock. I don't even have a scope on mine. It was kinds fun gettin' back in to shootin' with military sights again.....after 46 years.

5. zackwatt

Nov 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    While I think that is the better option...it would be nice to use whatever setup I eventually have with both calibers. Switching out optics and other accessories would be a pain.

6. zackwatt

Nov 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    I think I might be leaning toward a dedicated upper...

7. GenoTac Ind.

GenoTac Ind. |KYDEX GEAR>

Jun 22, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Upgrades are improvements in efficiency. What you are calling upgrades are accessories/tools that make shooting your firearm more efficient. Now i'm speaking from an LE point of view, but you can aquire a target faster with a red dot versus iron sights. You can do bolt lock to the rear and release faster with a a battery assist lever, making for faster reloads.

"Upgrades" are to be thought out and function checked. Make it works for you first, run and gun with it. If it doesn't work, it's not an upgrade. Just don't start throwing stuff on your gun just because it looks cool.

With that said, I see you're from Louisville Zack. Get with me sometime.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  8. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Texas
    I'd consider a dedicated .22 rifle. I keep looking at the .22 Colt M4 from Umarex/Walther.
    [​IMG]

I think it is about $500 though.

There is a pretty good review on it here.
    http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=56

9. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Airsoft grade junker. Go with the Smith. I just mounted and boresited a scope for a buddy with a "Colt"/Umarex M4 .22, I was not impressed at all.

10. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Texas

Really? I haven't seen one in person yet. I haven't dug too deep, but the only reviews I have found were positive. There were a lot of people saying it's crap in forums, but they haven't given any reasoning outside of it not actually being made by Colt. Most of the negative comments have been about it being made by Umarex/Walther, and not the actual performance or quality of the product.

What was unimpressive? I know some people said the controls are too different from other AR variants.

I've been looking at the M&P also. I just liked the idea of a match M4 in .22lr.

11. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I've heard a dozen bad reports about the Colt for every one on the M&P. The few examples of each I've played with fell in line with that as well.

12. zackwatt

Nov 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    I like the idea of having a dedicated upper over an entirely different AR.

I want to practice with the rifle I have and not pay .223 prices.

13. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    It literally felt like an Airsoft rifle, except for the barrel. The sites, stock, handguard fit...........etc. For 299, maybe. Not for the same price point as the Smith, the Smiths that I have held felt like rifles.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    The S&W is the best way to go as it's the closest functionally.

15. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Nov 29, 2010
    DFW
    Very nice rifle, zack! Now stock up on mags/ammo in case the annointed one gets re-elected and goes on an "anti" rampage.

16. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Before you go customizing it, shoot it. Then customize based what you feel it needs to enhance (accessories do not improve) your shooting ability. The best way to find what YOU need is to take a class.

The only things I change on all AR-15s is the grip and charging handle. I do these based on experience from shooting with an A2 grip and stock charging handle, not because some guy with a beard uses them.