close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I didnt blow my hand off!!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wrx04, Oct 21, 2010.

1. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    My gun showed up at my doorstep this morning, so i decided to see if the two rounds i loaded would cycle through my gun. They did. I then loaded a total of 8 more rounds with the same parameters (5.8gr unique 230gr FMJ).

At the range i fired 100 WWB flawlessly and then reached for the reloads. Not gonna lie, i was a little nervous:shocked:. I chambered the round, squeezed the trigger, and prayed i still had a hand left.

Worked perfect. Actually hit the 10 ring. The following 9 rounds all fired/chambered/ejected properly as well. Now do i keep making this type of bullet, or do i start adjusting the power? The rounds felt a little on the weak side (even compared to WWB), but not too bad at all.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I'd say that depends on where you are in your load data.. If you're loading a "low" or "middle" round.. and you want to heat it up a bit, I don't see an issue w/ it... I think staying in the 10-15rds while you're in "testing" is smart though... Keeps from spending 5hrs pulling rounds.

IGF

3. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Agree with IGF. If your mid to mid/high in your load data... the gun cycles fine and it's comfortable to shoot. You should stop until you have a chrono to confirm your load.

4. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    10 ring with the first round... excellent! (Was the target on the ground at your feet and did it kick up dust on your boots? :whistling:)

See, it wasn't as hard as you thought it was going to be, huh? Keep it up, have fun but don't try to get ahead of yourself. There's a lot to learn and plenty of time to learn it.

You already violated the first cardinal rule of loading however... always have one of your ex-wives test fire new loads.

Jack

5. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    As stated previously. If you like the current load you have, why not just stay with it. It is comfortable, you are accurate with it and it is probably not putting as much wear and tear on your new firearm as factory ammo or your own warmer reloads will.

6. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    That is always a good thing in reloading.
    Well unless your Al-Qaeda.

7. Why would you think you were going to blow your hand off?

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    He might not have mean *literally*.... but I'll confess to being so nervous firing my first 9mm load (even when my GOAL was to load "soft")... that I wore a heavy welders mitt and a welder's mask. :rofl:

I was in my neighbor's field (with permission), and I fired the first three or four into the ground about 20 feet away from my feet.... with my eyes squeezed tight!

9. I wore heavy gloves and full extension the first time I shot my reloads. People next to me had odd expressions.

10. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Miami, FL
    Did you do the "Cup and Turn" when you fired off those first reloads? You know, cup your balls and turn your face... ;-)

11. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Oh my,:rofl::rofl: please tell me you are here all week!:supergrin:

Seriously, to the original poster, after the first two rounds, are you happy with your Dillon 1050 purchase? Is it everything you thought it would be?:wavey:

Sorry on my third Bloody Mary, and it's bedtime!

12. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    :rofl:

Not quite, but i thought about it. Didnt want to look like a sissy, but i was sure as hell feeling like one on the inside:rofl:.

To the guys who geared up with the heavy duty gloves....thats hilarious. I should have thought of that! I especially like the welders mask:rofl:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  13. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    Well, its not quite a 1050, but the 550 is working quite well. I like it.

14. AltiDude

AltiDude

Jan 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    You can always put on welding gloves and reach around a tree. I find that to be adequate protection when I work up loads.

15. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Congrats.

If you want a range load, leave it where it is. If you want full speed, take it up to 6.2 grains of Unique (incrementally) assuming your OAL is around 1.265".

Have fun and be safe!

16. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    I haven't tried the welding glove, I generally use a goalies glove, but I definitely have a harder time pulling the trigger!:supergrin:

Sorry about the 1050 crack, it was very smart of you to only load a couple, and, try them about before rolling a bunch. Not that I have ever ran a 100+ rounds, then found out something wasn't right, then have to use a connetic bullet puller to disassemble the entire batch!:whistling:

17. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    That is the question isn't it? That is the diff between a handloader & reloader. The handloader will always tweek & experiment. If it works & you are happy w/ the load, look no further.:wavey:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  18. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Sep 24, 2008
    East Coast
    how did you get a gun delivered to your doorstep?

19. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009

The official OSHA squint as I call it. :whistling: Been there myself. I startedback-wardss, I loaded rifle first. I remember chambering the first round, saying a small prayer, turning my head to the side and setting off the round.Thenn I slowly opened my eyes one at a time.

Congrats on asuccessfull first test. I play around a bit and see how the round works. I try to get a a good running round that isn't too hot and then stick with it. It is hand loading, have fun experimenting. Just stay safe.

20. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    It was actually just the slide. I had to send it in because the barrel bushing was too tight. It was killing me only having the frame at home and not being able to shoot my new gun.