close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I carry a G19c, would you carry a compinsated model???

Discussion in 'The SHOT ShowCase' started by Folsom_Prison, Oct 5, 2010.

1. adaman04

adaman04
    Expand Collapse

Have you ever shot from retention, having your pistol indexed at your rib cage? It’s not bad at arms length but who said you’ll be shooting the pistol at arms length?

I don’t care for the C models because I’ve found the open slide allows more lint, etc to get in to the gun than the standard models. I wouldn’t trade it because of this or anything, but just food for thought.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Cambo

Cambo
    Expand Collapse

Spoken by someone who doesn't understand the physics of porting/compensation and who has never fired one. Compensated models remove muzzle flip, sending recoil straight back into the hand, giving you a faster, more accurate second shot. They make compensators for .22 pistols. Why? Because EVERY caliber fired will generate muzzle flip to some degree.

3. TedG

TedG
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel USA

:thumbsup:

4. JTMarlonINC

JTMarlonINC
    Expand Collapse
    .40S&W .45ACP

Spoken by someone who owns a compensated (standard size) 9mm....:rofl:

5. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP
    Expand Collapse

I'd have no issues carrying a compensated pistol; provided of course, that it's a reliable, & proven in my hands, quality pistol that I can accurately hit what I'm aiming at with.

To me though, the real question about compensated pistols is not whether or not a real or perceived muzzle flash would cause temporary blindness, is debris blasted up into my eyes/line of sight, etc., the real question to me is, why? If a "C" model is all you've got, or is the one you train the most with, or are the most accurate with, then I'd say sure, go ahead & carry it. But, if the reason why one wants to carry a "C" model is to throw more caliber down range, 'assuming' that a compensated .40 or .45 cal, etc. will recoil like a softer shooting caliber, then I'd say "no": Save your $ or leave the "C" model at home & carry the gun that you're more proficient with".

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

If want to carry a C model try shooting it in blackness if you can. Then judge for yourself.

7. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846
    Expand Collapse

It's not an issue! The supposed flash blinding you at night has pretty much been disproved, but it still has life in the gun world. I suggest you do a shoot in low light to see how it works for you. It doesn't bother me at all.:wavey:

8. infiniti0505

infiniti0505
    Expand Collapse

I wear my sunglasses at night, so Im good :whistling:
    [​IMG]

9. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

Thanks for sharing your comparison. I agree it's overated, I just thought it was kinda funny what some of the crazy stuff people were saying on other forums and wanted to see gt's take on it.

10. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

Ok, good to hear. I really don't think it's a issue either. It's not like the c models are the only guns that might have a little flash in the dark IMO.

11. Larry V

Larry V
    Expand Collapse

Actually I have fired a compensated 19 6 times. Speaking for me and only me, a 19 is like a cap gun. I have no need for a compensated barrel.

12. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

Two reasons I picked up the G19c. It's the only model of 19 my dealer had and he gave me a hell of a deal on trade for my 23. I have no issues with the muzzle flash.

13. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

right on, to each his own.

14. Larry V

Larry V
    Expand Collapse

I love the 23 , I have 2 of them , one is an RTF2.

15. rem2429

rem2429
    Expand Collapse

I'd buy a non-ported barrel for carry.
    You won't notice the flash or noise if you need it, but if you are in a wierd position, like contact shooting, you may notice debris in the eyes. You will not likely practice shooting with the ports pointed towards your face, but the real world can get real ugly.

16. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo
    Expand Collapse

You've got a 4.02" barrel. Porting robs you of velocity. Loss of velocity robs you of "mushrooming" capability with HP's.
    I guess, if I carried this, that I'd try to use "short barrel" ammo that utilizes faster-burning powder. I'm not a fan of porting but it has its advantages.

17. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN
    Expand Collapse

I thought an aftermarket threaded barrel with a AR birdcage type flash suppressor attached would be novel. Probably a waste of money, but novel. I thought it would look cool on a G27.

18. Zertek

Zertek
    Expand Collapse

I don't think so

19. KillStick

KillStick
    Expand Collapse

I carry a 23C most of the time and have never had a problem with dirt or materials in the barrel. I have also never been blinded by a huge flash of light. What I have noticed is that the felt recoil is less to me and has helped me to get back on target. I have only positive things to say about the C models one of them being that they are just as reliable and have that special look to them that makes me love the gun.

20. Thx-1138

Thx-1138
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

One of my two carry guns is a G39 with a Stock G38 barrel modified with muzzle ports.

Compensation doesn't bother me. Shooting at night, low light, etc...

The ports are forward-angled, so anything not 'going out the front' is actually going forward anyway.

Since I'm left-handed, when shooting from retention I angle the gun away from my body to eliminate the possibility of the ejector port fouling on my shirt; this happens to also eliminate any problem with exhaust gases from the ports, so shooting from retention with compensation is not an issue.