close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I can appreciate kids wanting to help, BUT.

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Apr 20, 2012.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Almost on a daily basis at Wal Mart I see young kids wanting to be all grown up and help with the grocery shopping, and I understand they have to learn, but they simply will not watch where they are going and what they are doing, they run the shopping cart into people, the shelves and who all knows what. I know they need their education, but they need to get it somewhere other than in public where they do more harm than good. What's the answer:headscratch::dunno:

2. FPS

FPS

Jul 15, 2005
    CT

Maybe a mini-Wal Mart??

3. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

Aug 28, 2004
    East of center, SC
    I dont care if lil Johnny knocks over something. It aint mine and it aint my problem. So, have fun Johnny, Okie will pick it up.

Same idea in restaurants when lil Johnny makes a huge mess and the parents just step over it and leave.

Sorry Okie, but it wont get better with the current entitlement train of thought being pumped into kids heads.

Rod

4. Big House

Big House Biggest member

Sep 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Umm excuse me...Smallmart. :tongueout:

5. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Jan 7, 2001
    Plano, Texas, Republic of
    Shoot 'em a little.
    That'll larn em' and their parents quicker'n anythin' else I kin think of.

On a more sober note, the culture and society are not designed to please children. It is an adult world and until an appropriate age, children are excluded from most activities. Consider, we don't let 8-year-olds drive the family sedan, no? Then it is ill-advised to allow small children to treat a business as a playground.

<--- crabby old carp :fred:

6. FPS

FPS

Jul 15, 2005
    CT
    :rofl:

7. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Chill out.

The kids need to get some "on the job" "real-world" training. I'm not saying let them run wild, but it is completely appropriate to allow them to help push a cart, place items onto a conveyer belt, etc.

Every parent has different teaching styles, discipline methods, etc. Obviously, the kids shouldn't be brought to fine dining if they are disruptive, but if you go to a walmart or a McD's what do you expect?

Humans learn by doing. (I'm an educator by trade, and a parent too). Hands on learning is the BEST way to go by far.

Cheers

8. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    :crying:P.S. Okie, did you get run over by a shopping cart today?

9. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Not today I didn't , but I have:faint:

10. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I know they they need training, but they do more harm than good:shocked::faint:

11. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    That makes a lot of sense, Doug:supergrin:

12. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Capitol idea my friend:supergrin:

13. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Jan 7, 2001
    Plano, Texas, Republic of
  14. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

Aug 13, 2004
    far from home
    When my kids want to push the cart, I make them follow me, so if they run into anyone, it is their mom, who immediately tells them that since they are not paying enough attention driving the cart to keep from running into me, they must give me back the cart. Then they follow along behind me, sulking. Someday, they'll make it through the store without hitting me when I stop suddenly, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mrs.Cicero

15. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Jan 24, 2012
    Hell, at least they are trying to help. Around here the kids just use oranges as basketballs and run around like monkeys.

16. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    You are a very wise lady Mrs. C honey:hugs::kiss:

17. SomeDay

SomeDay

Mar 15, 2005
    California
    Lol. My 9 year old daughter is a better shopping cart driver than most adults at Walmart!

18. Braken

Braken

Nov 13, 2006
    is Ok
    Okie, the kids will probably stop doing unruly behavior when they get old enough to get knocked on their butts for it.

That will likely still be 18 years old for legal reasons.

19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    Local stores have "Customer in training" carts for kids. (that are too old for cart that has seats like small car for parents to push)
    It has at least one (some two) flags so adults can see the thing. Its small, low, light. Face it. Its the parents who are problem.

20. silentpoet

silentpoet

Jan 11, 2007
    This Old Caddy
    I have seen kids climb the shelves. Cart driving is hardly the worst I have seen.