close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I am not a Troll. Help please, Gaston.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by wburychka, May 4, 2012.

1. wburychka

wburychka

Hey guys, I'm posting this in hopes that someone from Glock reads here. I carried a Glock 19 for about four years. I still think it is the best combination of compactness, usable barrel length, and ammo capacity there is for a carry pistol. It is also, in the opinion of many people, myself included, the best all around "only pistol" one could buy. About six months ago I sold it to a good friend. He likes it even more than I did. Now to my point.

The one thing I never became completely comfortable with on the Glock was the lack of a safety. The grip safety on a 1911 or on the Springfield Armory XD/XDM lines, adds a measure of security to reholstering that I find lacking in the Glock. Consequently, when I decided to move to a large capacity .45 for carry, I ended up with the SA XDM-45, with its 1911-like grip safety--even though in every other respect, I truly believe the Glock to be a superior handgun.

While there are other considerations I'm sure, I just can't understand Glock's failure to address this issue, even though the incidents of AD's on reholstering are common enough to have a nickname that starts with "Glock...". It never happend to me, and I never had a close call, but I was always hyper-conscious of the risk. Indeed, I continued to be even with the XDM.

In the last several months, I've started carrying Colt, rather than the XDM, just because I shoot it consistently better. The 1911, of course, has both a thumb safety and the grip safety.

Please, Gaston, consider a grip safety for the Gen 5 models. I'd like to come back. A G21 Gen5 with grip safety? Serial number 0000001 will be in my holster!

2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Not gonna happen. If you aren't smart enough to keep your finger off the trigger, then you shouldn't have a Glock I guess. If after 4 years and NEVER having a ND you aren't comfortable with it, don't buy one.

If you want the back strap safety, stick with SA

3. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

There are 3 internal safeties on a Glock and 2 external ones.

Internal
    1. Trigger Safety
    2. Firing pin safety
    3. Drop safety
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Gloc...ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CDwQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=690

(the Google page this takes you to shows a couple diagrams of the actual safety mechanisms inside the Glock. Couldn't get to their actual URL on my iPad)

External:
    1. Located between your ears
    2. The hard side of your holster over the Glock trigger

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  4. SJ 40

SJ 40

The most important safety is the one located between your two ears . YMMV SJ 40

5. djegators

djegators

External manual safety is simply not necessary, and adds unnecessary complication in a stressful situation.

6. Hunng

Hunng

If Glock ever puts any kind of active/manual safety on their pistols across the board, thats when i no longer will buy new Glocks.

It sounds like you're very comfortable and proficient with 1911s, why not just carry them?

You can also get M&P (c)s and Ruger SR9 (c)s with manual thumb safeties if you have to have a polymer pistol.

7. RichardB

RichardB Silver Member

There is no real reason to crap up the Glock's simple mechanism with another set of interconnected parts that can fail when you least want them to.

None of my single action or double action revolvers have a mechanical safety but there are ways to avoid an AD anyway.

ADs also happen with guns that have safety levers, just like cars with the latest braking systems hit other cars.

PS: there is an add on safety lever available, someone else can fill you in.

8. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

How are you reholstering without your hand on the grip safety? A good, firm firing grip should be used when holstering and unholstering your weapon. Wouldn't that mean your grip safety is activated:dunno:

9. iflyem1

iflyem1 Member

Totally agree!

I'm confused as to why people dont understand this. There are 3 safeties and the MOST important one is between your ears. Revolvers dont have external safeties. If Glock made a gun with an external safety then it wouldnt be a Glock in my opinion. Cant handle a Glock buy something else. Better yet, be one of those people that dont put a round in the chamber and you dont have to worry about AD"s!

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

There used to be a company that could install a thumb safety
    on a Glock. You may wish to look into that idea, not sure of the name.

Personally......if you feel you need a safety, stick with a firearm
    that was designed ro have one. Not a fan of retrofitting parts.

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

First let me say I don't think Glock should have a grip safety.

But anyway, reholstering techniques could easily be developed around the grip safety. The military and police could easily adopt grip safety as a criteria and have black op ninja training spreading across the planet telling us all the exact proper and correct way to reholster so as the grip safety is not depressed :)

So, if you like the XD for that reason, go for it!

Me, I'm sticking with Glock. And as a civilian, I choose to look my Glock back into the holster (other people, other jobs, other ways of dressing and carrying, other priorities).

12. wburychka

wburychka

The grip safety is all the way at the top of the grip. With your hand rocked back only slightly--not enough to lose control of the weapon--the safety is engaged. Indeed, it takes a truly proper grip to fire the gun.

13. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I'd rather have a manual safety than a grip safety (and I am not advocating even that, there are glocklike guns that have them for those who want them). I had an XD and the design was such that it was almost impossible for me to grip without activating it. My 1911s not so much, that is a better grip safety design IMHO. Reholstering can be a problem, shirt tails, coat tails, safety straps. There are all kinds of things that could get inside the trigger guard while trying to reholser. Lets face it there are a lot of Glocks and a lot of Glock owners, we can say what we like about how this can or can't happen but it is like the lottery, the odds can be 178 million to one you will lose and someone will still win once in a while.

14. holsm50

holsm50

This is not true. It has happened, more than once. Glock has designed and sold several variations pistols with factory-installed manual safeties. One of its manual safety designs is similar to the 1911 thumb safety. The other design is referred to as a cross-bolt safety, and is located on the frame, above the magazine release.

Glock has sold these pistols in at least a dozen countries around the world, but for some reason refuses to sell them in the United States.

15. 153

Best thing about the Glock is the simple, uncomplicated design that actually works.

It goes bang when you pull the trigger - that what a pistol is supposed to do. Want more safeties - get another pistol.

16. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

17. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I am well aware of those, but we are not talking about other countries. We are talking about the US, seeing as the OP Is from Texas.

18. djegators

djegators

Glock does what Glock does, and they sell a LOT of pistols. Don't know people always want them to do something different -- make a 1911, make an AR, single stack 9mm, make a carbine, add a safety, yada yada yada. Its not like there are not already many many options elsewhere for all of these things already. Let's let Glock focus on what they do, and hopefully fix what they are already messing up by changing things rather than demand they change even more things.

19. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

wburychka,

I hope that you can come to terms and work with the three safeties already incorporated in the Glock design.

Sounds like you need to have a look at another brand, perhaps. I've got an S&W Shield (it has a little nubby safety on it) and it works just fine. The FNH FNS-9 I have has ambidextrous safeties. The Kimber Solo I had incorporated ambi safeties, as well. My SIG Sauer P226 has a firing pin block, as well as a hammer decocker. I also have a SIG P238HD (although a .380, is still technically shooting the same diameter projectile as the 9X19 guns I've mentioned already...) has a safety also. The SA XD-S I'm still waiting to be released has the same USA and grip safeties you're already familiar with using, and I'm sure that there are lots of other fine 9X19 pistols you'd be just fine shooting, and more comfortable carrying.

I'm not an advocate of modifying the already-proven design of the Glock, and would probably not be interested in purchasing any models released in that configuration.

Good luck on your continued search for your ideal carry weapon!

20. TX expat

TX expat

Well to each his own, but the lack of the active safety devices is exactly why I chose a Glock over many other fine offerings by other manufacturers.

The more serious I've gotten about training and practicing made me seriously revaluate the grip safety on the XD I used to carry and eventually led me to the conclusion that it was, in my opinion, more of a liability to me than a benefit; so out it went and in came my G19.