I Am Not a "Sheepdog"

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cysoto, Mar 18, 2013.

1. RonS

Millennium Member

It's good to think these things out, but I wouldn't want to get too fixated on a canned response when real life throws so many curve balls.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I wonder why he did the video really.

I HAVE interveined in situations to defend innocent people and I will always do it.

Twice I had to testify in court because I involved myself in "their" drama. I am NOT a person to watch anything out of the ordinary. I respond to things I am not involed in. I am dangerous to some people and loving to others. I was raised to be like this and as I age I will have to trim my attitude to keep from getting hurt.

If I can clearly understand a delima of choice, I WILL choose.

I used to have "Sheepdog" in my signature. Now, I'm an old man with a way of doing things out of the ordinary.

#22 GIG4FUN, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember

You got to look yourself in the mirror every morning.
  4. Bruce M

5. I always imagine that people talking about being a sheep dog carry one of these as well.

I carry to protect me and mine. If I see you or yours in an altercation; I will stick around to be a good witness as long as it does not put me in any danger.

Once you start looking to inject yourself into a situation that you know will require the use of your weapon, you are no longer carrying for personal defense. Oklahoma is a castle state, I have no duty to retreat; but I also have no legal standing if I take action against someone that was not a threat to me.
  6. Rotn1

Life is too variable to try to think of all the potential scenarios. Best be trained and have good situational awareness.
    Beyond that, and with all due respect all options are on the table, including doing nothing.
    It does not escape me, that the people I "might help" probably wouldn't remember my name, while my family would be grieving.
    I'll take it as it comes.
  7. BS. He is 100% correct.
  8. mustang6112

mustang6112 Watching

So sayeth the person with an avatar named after a fictional former insurgent and bank robber turned drunkard who has a tendency to speak with his pistol, played on the big screen by a western legend... :dunno:
    I will agree with you that the average Joe who is walking around referring to himself as a sheepdog because he is carrying is probably looking for attention and more of a danger to himself and others than he is helpful.
    #28 mustang6112, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  9. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
  10. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

That' some stupid **** right there, I don't care who you are, that's stupid ****.
  11. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

12. TBO

TBO Why so serious?

The Internet, no matter what it was built for, used by those who are ignorant to show us how ignorant.
  13. THAT didn't start on GT/GNG, either, but there are a lot of examples to be found.

I've always thought the "sheepdog" thing was kind of dumb, but that's because I think calling people "sheep" is dumb. People make different choices in their life. If I choose to carry a gun, that doesn't make me better than someone who doesn't feel comfortable doing so. It just means I've made a different choice.

And yes, I fully expect to get mocked for saying that on a gun forum. But that's because there are so many "sheepdogs" here to show me the error of my ways.....
  14. You have a very dim view of the world sir.
  15. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai

Something is wrong in the matrix as we agree on this one.

16. Berto

Berto woo woo

17. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai

That is absolutely cruel.... but funny as all heck! :rofl:
  18. As someone else said, there are far too many scenarios to say for sure just what I might do in any of them, but for now the only way I would intervene in a situation is if there was obvious danger of a child, woman or elderly person losing life or limb.

My goal in life is to not find myself in a situation that requires the use of my weapon. I certainly do not see a need to go out of my way to find trouble.
  19. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

The moron on the video is thinking of want-to-be-mall-ninjas, a sheepdog is a different animal altogether.

He is correct, not everyone is a sheepdog. Some like the guy in the video will apparently sit idly by when he finds himself in the middle of a Beslan experience. Fair enough.

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It does seem like many CCWers, especially those who have never been in the military or law enforcement, are more Pomeranian than Sheepdog.

As long as they aren't a liability to the rest of us, I guess not being able to depend on our fellow citizens is no less than we should expect. It's always interesting to read their attempts to justify it here, as if explaining why not taking a risk to help others is logical or justifiable makes it less cowardly.
    #40 Bren, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013