close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I AM. . . . . Gasoline. . .

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dennis in MA, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

And matches!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took 3 months to talk the seller down. Now it's in storage until March when it gets disc brakes and some minor corrections.

Gonna be a fun summer 2013. 6-seater! The whole clan +1 can fit.

Not an SS. Not even spectacular. You can't get a 68 Malibu with less options than this and a convertible top. 307, power steering, that's it. Lol. ( Hence my desire to replace the brakes.)

Had to have been a Southern car. Seller said its been in CT it's entire life. I don't believe it. All original body. No rust. Like NONE. No bondo anywhere.

My mechanic was awesome. Helped me out. Played bad-cop the whole way. I learned in the last few months how little I know about cars.

The top is a replacement, but correct white top as per trim tag. One repaint in original Grotto Blue. (Looks greenish in the florescent shop lights.) interior is original and in almost perfect shape. 80k miles or so on it. Based on condition, that odometer never rolled over.

Time to put some miles on it. :)

2. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

It's an excellent acquisition, congratulations. The disc brake change is also a very good choice. Less options means less wiring and mechanical failures. Good thinking.

You will have a great time cruising the countryside.

3. Rick C

Rick C affiant

:supergrin:
    I knew you had it in you.:cool:

Edit: Needs Busse Hood Ornament.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. Jake514

Jake514

Looks like fun times ahead...enjoy!

5. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Congrats! I know you've been looking for a while, I'm happy you found one you wanted.

6. Kevin108

Kevin108 file_id.diz

Dad and I finished a build on a 72 a few years back. They are great cars!

7. The Fed

The Fed

I've lived through this era.

The 307's notoriously ate camshafts. They were not heat-treated properly. A new engine will be in your future. You'll need more than a couple of calipers, rotors and brake pads. You'll need a new proportioning valve for a disc-brake car, and since you don't know anything about car you don't know that disc brakes require much more hydraulic pressure to operate. You'll need a disk-brake master cylinder too. New brake lines are needed, along with new rear wheel cylinders. Since you're not doing the work yourself be prepared for a huge bill, especially for labor. This is not a simple job. I hope you didn't pay much for the car. No one should ever buy a classic car unless they have the ability to do their own work. I figure if you had a lot of money you would have bought a disk brake car with at least a 327.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Lol

How about stabbing a Battle Mistres through the hood?

TF - there's always one. Lol. I DO know what is involved in the brake change.

9. Gareth68

Gareth68

It looks like about a grand for the brake upgrade in parts.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/75A5495A0A0.aspx

Sweet ride.

I fully believe in good brakes. I have upgraded to 4 wheel discs on my 72 VW beetle.

It's nice to have copious amount of whoa on hand.

Your smiles per mile ratio will be high.

Enjoy.

10. FAS1

FAS1

11. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I rarely believe people who "know a lot about things"...

It has 80k on the clock with whatever improperly heat treated camshaft they crammed in it on the assembly line...I bet $5 it makes it through many more.

I also am willing to wager yet another $5 (but that is my limit) that the OP has a friend willing to handle the disc brake upgrade...probably the person mentioned in the story with the nickname "my mechanic".

Congratulations to the OP, and try to ignore Debbie downer, I hope you enjoy your new old car.

12. 69stingray

69stingray 427 ci

13. GenX

GenX

"Not an SS. Not even spectacular." You did good and it does look spectacular. You will no doubt have as much fun in that as you would an SS, if not more. It looks like a dang nice driver.

14. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Dennis, take a quick ride down Rt. 44 and pick me up. Tonight's a perfect night to go out for a spin in that thing....hahaha! Congrats! :thumbsup:

15. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

16. Reissman

Reissman Millennium Member

17. G17Jake

G17Jake

Nice car. I hope it brings you and your family some good times.

18. BEER

BEER bad example

hey *********, even if everything you say is true you could at least let the man get it home and learn the hard lessons for himself before you **** all over his fantasy. take a long hard look at how happy he and his kids are in the car before you get all technically correct on him.

19. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

The 307 were hard on cams. But if it made it past 10k it will live. If it didn't it was replaced. It will live. If not these are literally the easiest engines to find parts for or work on that you can find. A nice little RV cam would be awesome! :supergrin:

As far as the brake upgrades go. The SSBC stuff is real nice. prob overkill for the way it sounds like you will be driving the car. Summit sells a kit. Complete soup to nuts.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bk1201/overview/year/1968/make/chevrolet/model/chevelle

I would verify application before ordering but this appears correct.

That is a really fun drivable car. Enjoy it with your family. I like that blue.

20. JDennis

JDennis

Aren't you quite the Kill Joy..... Actually the Job on those cars is quite simple and can be performed in 1 day with a few friends and a few 12 oz curls. The A-body is one of the easiest platforms to work on outside of gm's 1/2 tons. I owned one, and rebuilt it from the ground up many many years ago at the age of 18 with limited knowledge about cars. My Chevelle was the start of my curse called being a car guy.

Congrats on the purchase! She is a beaut! 307's cam issues are overrated as long as your not hot rodding it around town. It has more to do with oiling issues. A 307 can wipe a cam just as easily with a aftermarket cam and lifters. As for disc's that is a good upgrade. Go with a complete kit upgrade. I used a ssbc kit in mine.