close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I am curious about reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ashecht, Oct 18, 2010.

1. ashecht

ashecht
    Expand Collapse

Since I shoot both of my Glocks pretty much every weekend, I would like to see what it would take, both equipment and cost wise to get into reloading. Any suggestions as to what I would need, the best place to get what I need(new or used) and how or where I could go to learn how to do it. I would be reloading .40 and 9mm. It appears that cost wise, its WAY cheaper to reload, if you do it right. Thanks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Flipz

Flipz
    Expand Collapse

#2 Flipz, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  3. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

What Flipz said, there's a few sticky's now actually answering your questions.
    :wavey:

4. MonsterB

MonsterB
    Expand Collapse

Reloading does make for less expensive bullets, but it doesnt save you money, you will only shoot more :) . Start saving your brass now if you havent already done so. Its very important to do everything carefully and to double check whatever you do. Most of the Kabooms you hear about are from improperly made reloads, so you have to be carefull. Dillon makes some of the best presses, and you can mailorder bullet heads and primers to keep things cheap. I just got 1k 38 rounds for 80 bucks.

5. bustedknee

bustedknee
    Expand Collapse
    Curmudgeon

6. mjallen66

mjallen66
    Expand Collapse

Ditto on everything said above. I started reloading handgun ammo just to save money, but it turned into a great hobby in itself. I haven't seen any net savings, but am able to shoot much more for the same amount of money and enjoy the reloading process.

7. rsxr22

rsxr22
    Expand Collapse

good info above, if you are shooting high volumes of ammo though, i would highly recommend just starting off with a progressive. Most start with a single stage and then get tired of it and move into the progressive, takes some advice and save a little more for a dillon or rcbs

8. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

Good advice given so far... First question answered, what calibers? 9mm and .40... Second question, how much do you shoot in a given month?... Third question, how much time do you want (have available) to invest in reloading… 50 rounds an hour, 100-150 rounds an hour, 300-400 rounds an hour… more? less? Forth question… budget concerns, dependant on the time you have to reload, quantity you need to load and calibers needed.

I bring these straight out as a baseline… if you have time to reload 100-150 rounds an hour, a LCT kit and associated accessories can easily be acquired for 2 calibers for about $400-460 total…. Press, dies, tumbler/media, calipers, beam scale, manual, etc. If you go single stage as some undoubtedly will recommend, you pay less in cash more in time… if you go progressive, you pay more cash upfront for the press and conversions in calibers but less in time at the bench.

Cost of components is not included in the above total but given the cost of bulk bullet, powder and primer buys you could reload your first 4K rounds of 9mm/.40 for $110-150 a K. That would save you about 50% and have your equipment paid off in 8 months if you’re a 500 rounds a month shooter about 6 if 800 rounds a month and 4 if 1000 a month.

9. chris in va

chris in va
    Expand Collapse

I started with 9mm, then 45acp and 30-06...all with my Lee Hand Press.

Does it give you carpal? Yes. Does it resemble a ThighMaster? Yes. But they're inexpensive and work well enough as a 'starter' kit to get your feet wet. In my case, I jumped in the pool with the thing, having loaded probably 7000 rounds since last year.

No need to buy new. Lots of good used equipment floating around. My Redding beam scale cost me $25 on Ebay and works fine. I use homemade dippers made from 9mm casings and stiff wire.

10. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619
    Expand Collapse
    EX-Swage Monkey

If your shooting mainly pistol, i would go progressive for sure. If you can afford it LNL or a Dillon 550.

11. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

I certainly do not want to sway your decision as to what press to purchase, they ALL have their good points and bad points and you would be well advised to carefully consider your needs, wants and budget.

If, however, your ultimate decision leads you in the direction of a Dillon 550 I happen to know of one that may be for sale.

Now, this is no ordinary 550, not by a long shot. It is owned and regularly operated by a world renowned loader and shooter. Many a fine round has gracefully slid down the discharge chute to rest blissfully in the catch bin with its brethren counterparts awaiting its final journey as an alpha shot in a high stakes match. (It is rumored, among those in the know, that this particular machine produces rounds that are incapable of less than alphas or misses at a hundred yards on any target larger than 4 cubic inches. Although there is no scientific proof to support this hypothesis there is more than ample anecdotal evidence.)

What is widely known is that this particular 'BLUE WONDER' has been seen in the company of at least one very, very attractive woman and there is no reason to believe that it's ability to attract a plethora of women has been depleted. If you never load a round this uncanny ability alone is worth the purchase price.

You should not be swayed in anyway by the imminent availability of this machine... unless your goal in life is to die a lonely old man.

Choose wisely. :whistling:

Jack

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

I think I would get two 1050's are a couple Load Masters. They are pratically interchangable.

13. chris6424

chris6424
    Expand Collapse

Dillon customer service is the best! Save yourself the aggravation and start out with quality equipment.

14. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

Gees thanks jack:cool:
    world renown is stretching things a little. I don't think anyone in Greenland has seen me shoot yet. But the 550 that got me to were I am today is regretfully for sale. My wife is quite upset by all the beautiful young ladies that follow it home.

15. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

Whose selling the 550 jack... Set up with what if any caliber conversion? I know someone that may be interested if the price is right. :wavey:

16. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Didn't you just get a 650?

17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

THe real questiong is are you Bi-Curious or Tri-Curious or heaven forbid considering green as well.

18. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Unfortunately I am sworn to secrecy for the moment under penalty of... hell, there is no penalty, there's not a damn thing he can do to be.

Lets just call it honor... for now. :whistling:

Jack

19. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Yeah, she tells me about that 550... all the time. :couch:

Jack

20. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

Not yet. I want one but don't need one. My 550 is meeting my needs right now. I keep wavering because of the economy. I am not sure I wouldn't be better off to leave the money in the bank for emergencies. I just can't decide.

Besides jack write up was just to good not to steal it.