Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

I almost cried today

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by Central Texan, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Central Texan

Central Texan AmericanSoldier

Dec 27, 2002
    I was coming home from a weekend duty assignment and decided to stop at the store for some groceries. As I was walking up to the door I passed a white Caddy that had just parked in a handicap spot up front. As I was walking twards the car (noticing the Purple Heart on the licence plate) the driver's door opened and an elderly gentelman began to exit the car, he stumbled and sliped and fell onto the pavment with one leg still inside his car. Naturaly I rushed over to him to help him up and make sure he was okay. I grabed him under his arms and lifted him up, then held him untill he got his balance again.
    I asked "Sir, are you okay? That was one nasty fall"
    He turned around and looked me from head to toe noting my uniform. At this time I noticed the man's hat, it was a Vietnam Vet's ball cap with service pins and a Butter Bar mounted proudly on the crown.
    His voice was quiet and shakey when he said "Thank you PFC, I'm okay now".
    I gave him a smile and told him "We gotta take care of our own Sir".
    His eyes got big, then watery and he hugged me. Right smack in the front of the parking lot. He let out a sort of low and squeaky "God bless you son". We parted and I noticed a woman who I assume is his wife standing next to us with a big ol smile. I told her "Good evnin' Mam'" as I began to walk away twards the store agian and said to the gentelman "Take care L.T.".

I'm not completely sure what it was about this encounter that got to me. Maybe it was the chance to help out a fellow serviceman, or the oprotunity to look into the eyes of one of America's true Heros. Maybe just the fact that a small connection between "yesterday" and "today" was made in those short moments. What ever it was, I had to dry my eyes a little as I walked into the store.

I just wanted to share that with yall.
  2. Delta

Delta ThExtremeMember

Mar 17, 2002
    North Texas
    Good job CT...

;c ;c ;c ;c ;c ;c

3. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator Moderator

Aug 8, 2002
    South FL
    Hang on, now I've got something in MY eye...
  4. KB4IFS

Oct 12, 2003
    South of North
    Now if only the VA would do the same thing.
  5. Darkangel1846

Jul 19, 2004
    Your a good man CT, God Bless you.
  6. CarlosDJackal

Dec 10, 2000
  7. thebronze

Oct 1, 2003
    Northern CA
    Maybe it's because you realized that's going to be you (and us) someday...

Good job looking out for a fellow vet.
  8. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Me, too...;? ;?
  9. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

Jul 4, 1999
    West Texas
    I cry EVERYDAY for our servicemembers past, present and future, I guess it doesn't help that I hve a service connected disability for PTSD
  10. lucky8926

Sep 27, 2004
    Central IL
    That honestly gave me chills and got me a little teary-eyed!! As someone said earlier "job well done";?
  11. Guest

Good job Tex! We have to watch out for each other... no one else will!
  12. Guest

Good on ya!!

I saw a fellow in a restaurant wearing a Viet Vet hat. On our way out, I stopped, said "Thanks" and shook his hand. He was speechless, I think. I try to to that whenever I can.
  13. ;z :cool: ;) ;? ;1 ;3 ;D ^6 ^c
  14. Old NFO

Old NFO

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Well done- You don't know how much that means...

Old NFO
  15. Central Texan

Central Texan AmericanSoldier

Dec 27, 2002
    Ya know, when I posted this I didnt know how yall would respond. It seemed kind of trivial, sorta "what's the big deal?". To be truthfull I thought I'd get made fun of for making a deal of nothing, but I also thought maybe one or two folks would get it and understand. I in no way excpected these kinds of responces from so many folks.
    I did what seemed right, and natural. At the time I didnt even think of it, I just did it and I realy didnt think yall would see it the way I did.

I'm glad to see how wrong I was. I'm glad to see that there are folks out there who can understand and appreciate these subtle gifts we can give to each other. Because to each other these gifts arent so subtle.