close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HVAC HeatPump AC Question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Aug 9, 2012.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

My gf called me today and said her ac was not working..she stayed home so I went over thinking it was her car..lol But her Bryant Heat pump ac is not coming on. The inside fan blows but the outside unit is humming like it is on defrost in the winter and the top of the unit where the fan is..is warm to hot to the touch and it is in the shade. I was curious if there are any tricks to get the unit on? It is six years old. Thanks

2. Viper16

Viper16

Sounds like it needs a new start/run capacitor. I would turn it off and get the capacitor checked out. You do not want to damage the compressor.

Add: You can easily change this out rather than having some contractor charge you $150-250 for a $15.00 part.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

3. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

Mine did this recently. I turned off the power to the unit for about a minute and fired it back up. I has run fine since. I did play with the thermostat also. Check your filter also.

NN

4. dac1204

dac1204

Man what is it with you and a/c units. This must be the fifth post in a month. Are you secretly working on them and coming here for info?:tongueout:

5. Fishawk

Fishawk Fishawk

I had one the other day there was a broken wire on thee high condessor . Look though the top of the unit below the fan and see if the two wires are connected to the high and low condensor they are wire in series.
    I called ac company to have it replaed.

6. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Paid $150 to have the capacitor changed on my a/c two weeks ago. Worth it because it was 104 degrees and I would have had to teach myself a/c repair in order to finally determine/diagnose/locate/find correct part/replace.
    Now that I know exactly what to look for and how to replace it, I'll buy the $15 part and have a spare handy (just like for the igniter plate in the furnace).

7. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

When mine was humming, the breaker had tripped. A reset started it back on.

This went on for 15 years, about once a month, until I replaced the outside unit. The new unit has not tripped yet and my electric bill dropped $125 a month.

8. In2deep

In2deep

If the fan and compressor is not running check the breaker if not it's the capacitor!
    If you turn on the unit when it has been off for more than an hour and the compressor run then shut's off and the fan doesn't come on then it's the fan and vice versa for the comp.

9. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I know what you are saying exactly. I went out and looked at the unit and started washing it off. Then I hit the fan with water and it started spinning but the compressor would not start and after shutting it down the fat would not start again unless I started it first. I will probably go buy the capacitor in the morning and try that. Even a brick townhouse gets hot..:shocked: It was over 80 in there.

10. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I know that feeling exactly. I have furnace igniters and one control board for my furnace because they have gone out in the past.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  11. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Mine at home is working fine now..keeping fingers crossed on that one. Remember me talking about the furnace rumbling...well it was a top of a cardboard bow that somehow got in the fan cage..now she is purring like a kitten.

This is my gf's home. If I could fix it for her I would..her pets don't deserve to be in a hot house. Now when gf is nasty it should be hotter..:rofl:

12. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I hope it is the capacitor and nothing more. I checked the filter and it was ok. One time it acted like this and her drain line was plugged so I unclogged that and all was well. This time is different and worrisome because of potential costs.

13. coastal4974

coastal4974

It’s probably the cap. I had an HVAC guy come out and tell me the compressor was shot, $1700 repair.

It was only the capacitor. He'll never be back.

If you have a multimeter, you can test it yourself.

14. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I would not be surprised that it is the cap. that seems to be a standard thing to go bad. I know you have to watch everyone nowadays. I had a mechanic tell me that my transmission as bad and it was a crankshaft position sensor...37.00 vs 3000...That cap will be tested tomorrow. Thanks

15. 220-9er

220-9er

Just be extra careful that the power is disconnected to the unit. Watch out for the capacitors too. They can bite.
    Sometimes you can look at the capacitor and see discoloring from heat or distortion of the outer housing. Cheap fix once you know what you are doing.

16. RC-RAMIE

RC-RAMIE

I went through this last weekend. The capacitor was bad but it also caused the pressure in the compressor to get real high and according to my AC tech can burn up the compressor, after hooking up the gauges to check. We ran water over the compressor for about 30 minutes but it didn't get low enough , red 250-275 blue 75-80 on the gauges. He said letting it sit over night not running usally is enough time to get pressure down low enough.

Sure enough next morning numbers were good to go. We also cleaned the filters on the inside unit, cleaned the inside units cage and took off the outside units case and cleaned all the coils real good looks like that was the main problem, I didn't clean the outside unit the past couple off years and was causing everything to work really hard. I always did monthly filter changes but will now also do yearly cleaning of the coils.

If you can get some gauges and pull a pressure check on the compressor.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  17. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

As others have said, the start/run capacitor sounds like it's toast.

Pull the 'disconnect' before working on this.
    Short the connections to ground (on the old capacitor) before putting your hands on the connections. (Long screwdrivers work well.)
    Otherwise, you can get Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaappped!!!!!

18. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

You guys were right. The start cap was bad. I turned off the power and changed it out and all was well. But it took about six hours to go down from 88 in the house to 73. That was a long 15 degrees. Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated.

19. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

Wrong forum, Bro.

www.hvac-talk.com is probably what you meant to type into your address bar.

:)

20. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I nver even knew about that one.